Author Topic: Reagan's Star Wars, or Shooting Down Projectiles  (Read 24382 times)

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
Re: Reagan's Star Wars, or Shooting Down Projectiles
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2014, 10:52:36 pm »
Yeah right. First of all we do not know how much damage a shell/rocket must receive in order to be destroyed. Second, nobody reported any hitscan raycast weapon to have shot down projectiles and third, if anybody manages to hit those projectiles midair intentionally, he/she deserves to shoot it down.

Wow, OK, that was oddly argumentative.  In any case, just because nobody reported raycast weapons shooting them down doesn't mean they can't.  I doubt they can, but still.  Also, say you were a ball of molten metal, or an explosive.  Now let's say you're hit by a gat round, an ARMOR PIERCING BULLET.  You'd explode too.  Yes, I know, it might miss the explosive, and it might not work at all for the hades, BUT.  Thirdly, as we all ought to know, unless you're using heavy clip, you aim gat/carro by pointing in the general direction of what you want to hit, the end.  It may or may not be intentional, it might be a fluke.  And let's just say someone makes a one in a million shot and hits an h.flak round with a Mercury or something.  Hell yes that's an achievement, but its not reason to implement this.

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2014, 12:10:47 pm »
Hell yes that's an achievement, but its not reason to implement this.

I don't know about the implementation, but is this actually a thing?

Does projectiles have 200 health, or do they explode when they hit other projectiles?

There in fact are very specific modifiers for projectiles. I've seen them. They are SEEEEEEEEECRET!

Oh, come on Queso. Can't you like dumb-down explain this to us? We aren't asking for the entire code for the game or anything.

In fact, can anybody from Muse confirm that projectiles have hit points?

Thanks,

Indreams

Offline Watchmaker

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 55
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2014, 02:24:28 pm »
1) Yes, projectiles have health.  They also have their own "health type", meaning the damage type modifiers are unique for projectiles.

2) With the exception of the armed mine, projectile hitboxes are quite small and moving fast enough for hitting them to be problematic for the physics engine (we already have special-case logic to prevent them from passing through targets that are much larger and slower-moving)

So, yes, it's in theory possible to shoot down projectiles but I've never seen it mean much in practice.  It's been this way basically forever, too; some changes to hitmarker display just meant you could start seeing them relatively recently.  It was a mechanic we experimented with early on but never found to work in practice - since it also never seemed to be causing problems in practice, no one's ever done the work to remove it.

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2014, 05:02:58 pm »
Thanks! I think that answers everything!

Impractical, but legendary when you can pull it off. I like that.

Who wants to shoot down one lumberjack shot with a full heavy hwacha barrage?  :D

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2014, 05:09:30 pm »
Make the ammo lochnagar and I'm down.

Offline Sprayer

• Salutes: 14
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2014, 07:45:26 pm »
[...]
Also, say you were a ball of molten metal, or an explosive.  Now let's say you're hit by a gat round, an ARMOR PIERCING BULLET.  You'd explode too. Yes, I know, it might miss the explosive, and it might not work at all for the hades
[...]
Arguing with reallife logic won't help you in a game.
Quote from: ShadedExalt

[...]
[...]
Of course it is, every game needs unreliable point defense.

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2014, 09:47:51 pm »
[...]
Also, say you were a ball of molten metal, or an explosive.  Now let's say you're hit by a gat round, an ARMOR PIERCING BULLET.  You'd explode too. Yes, I know, it might miss the explosive, and it might not work at all for the hades
[...]
Arguing with reallife logic won't help you in a game.
Quote from: ShadedExalt

[...]
[...]
Of course it is, every game needs unreliable point defense.

A) I know.  It's still a point though.

B) I already said I'm on board.  And in any case, its already in game.  Hell, unless I get hired by Muse and screw around in the game files there's not much I can do about it.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2014, 08:55:13 am »
As far as I understand, the reason projectiles have health and modifiers is simply due to a quirk of the unity engine.

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2014, 12:57:49 pm »
Unity doesn't really have anything to do with it. It's all custom game logic. It's a design choice. If it weren't for mines actually using both projectile health and the damage modifiers it probably wouldn't be problematic to remove, but there is also no reason to. In code it's usually a lot easier to build a feature initially, even if it won't be used, than to try and implement it later if it turns out you needed it.