Author Topic: Old Galleon?  (Read 12483 times)

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
Old Galleon?
« on: November 26, 2014, 09:09:45 pm »
I was shifting through the old forum to see if there are any old ship maneuvers I might try.

While I was reading, I came across this:

And I read something about three-flak Galleon with incredible downward arc killing squids in 4 shots.

I know the Goldfish underwent a design change before I joined, but I can't seem to find out if Galleon was different in the early days of GOIO.

Does any of the veterans know anything about it? I'd love to know.

And maybe we can have a discussion about a medium flame-thrower, as seemingly present in the photo above.

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
Re: Old Galleon?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 09:53:59 pm »
Well I wasn't here for that' but some kind of Magma Cannon or Heavy Flamer would be amazing.  Also, long range anti armor.  Heavy gat maybe, or better yet a Jupiter Field Cannon, aka the heavy merc?  That Galleon killing a Squid in four flak shots sounds amazing...

...ly overpowered.  As awesome as that would be, I'm pretty sure it was a good idea to nerf that.  The downward arcs however...

Offline Jub Jub

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 29
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 10:19:45 pm »
The Typhon Heavy Flak still has really good downward arch. However what you were reading Indreams was probably a result of arming time not being in the game. So Heavy Flaks had no arming time, which means you could fire them in rapid succession and do decent armor damage before actual hull damage. Someone else will have to give you the math behind it, but that would be my first guess: Back when arming time wasn't part of the game.

Offline BdrLineAzn

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 103
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 11:30:52 pm »
Yeah this was way back, went on from release. Basically the old standard killing power were the heavy flak. it had no arming time and it did had a decent piercing damage to break armor and get the kill in.the turning radius was a bit faster and with lesmok shotting it had almost no arc. also the ships were faster since no real mass was added to the ships and the flakfish was viable, able to kill while moving at great speeds. htte deadliest ship was the four flak galleon which can devstate any ship given the best gunners were on board. but that all changed after this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmvEwxlX91I&index=10&list=PLiLlvHlsTEOReJ1AVpynEC4Bu3No3u49I

starts around an hour thirty in

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 11:55:51 pm »
The old HF was able to kill squids in 2-3 shots. Oh it was just so juicy when you'd see those shots crack and tear ships apart.

I really miss the old HF. We need a good heavy kill weapon for CQC. Rush in and BOOM TO THE FACE! Also need something to fit in between the LF and the Mortar. Something with no arming timer.

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 12:03:18 am »
The old HF was able to kill squids in 2-3 shots. Oh it was just so juicy when you'd see those shots crack and tear ships apart.

I really miss the old HF. We need a good heavy kill weapon for CQC. Rush in and BOOM TO THE FACE! Also need something to fit in between the LF and the Mortar. Something with no arming timer.

Might I direct you to https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,5263.msg86368.html this?  Feel free to comment and suggest things.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 12:19:41 am »

Might I direct you to https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,5263.msg86368.html this?  Feel free to comment and suggest things.

Look up Sky Torpedo and you'll find my posts. Its a long standing tradition on these forums for players to want more options in heavy weapons. I heard they were internally testing some of the ideas awhile back but so far nothing has come of them.

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 06:11:36 pm »
Looking at the old galleon pic with fires coming out of it...

If I had a choice, I might remove all four medium guns on the bottom deck of a galleon and replace it with a massive Greek-flame-esque weapon.

it's probably ludicrous in skirmish, but maybe something like this will show up in adventure mode? I mean, an airship that supports only one massive gun surely has a place in an adventure mode.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 11:04:55 pm »
2 heavy flaks is actualy still viable, but its pretty different. One engineer can gun both heavy flaks. The rate of fire is like one heavy flak without reloading. Each successfull hf shot is 100 armor down. Thats 100 armor every second. Place maybe a mine on the light gun and you can keep ships over the arming time.

But its nothing too viable in serious matches. Unless your ally coordinates with you very well.

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 11:41:34 pm »
...replace it with a massive Greek-flame-esque weapon.

Yes to Greek Fire.  Burns everything, without fail.  Burns on water, melts metal, green, amazing, what more do you want in a gun that spews flames?

Offline Sprayer

• Salutes: 14
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 10:32:41 am »
Yes to Greek Fire.  Burns everything, without fail.  Burns on water, melts metal, green, amazing, what more do you want in a gun that spews flames?

To not become obsolete with the invention of gunpowder.

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2014, 07:13:27 pm »

To not become obsolete with the invention of gunpowder.

What if I told you incendiary artillery?

Offline Sprayer

• Salutes: 14
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 01:55:45 am »
What if I told you incendiary artillery?

Wouldn't be greek fire anymore.

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2014, 07:52:23 am »
Re-examining the picture, that flame might just be lesmok flame on port side light gun... kinda disappointing.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2014, 03:50:23 pm »
You would be correct that it's just a regular flamer.

Flak used to be the only heavy weapon to use before it had arming and insane damage modifiers. Galleons let you take two, and the projectiles were a lot easier to hit than today.