Author Topic: Welcom new players, don't shun them..  (Read 8403 times)

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
Welcom new players, don't shun them..
« on: November 23, 2014, 03:40:25 am »
Going to put this in the pit as I can't see it ending in a reasonable debate! (It certainly did not last night.)
Match Maker is working over time, new players are turning off their novice status to avoid 10 minutes or more waiting time, and last night teas a lobby for 3v3, a new player, two matches under his belt winds up in our lobby and one of the other pilots. (I won't name and shame but he knows who he is!) started raging the new player to leave or else he'd not captain for the match, so a lot of is told him to leave since we all started at level one at some point. The level 1 (like so many new players.) seemed oblivious to all the arguing revolving around him, and the 'vet' (level 19..) left the lobby, only to be sent back a few seconds later by MM, and he starts going on again how the new guy should 'go away' so I told the 'vet' my fullest opinion on the matter using my most colourful of languages. (Since the 'vet' showed no manners why should anyone show him the same courtesy, he clearly did not understand when he was told kindly!) So the 'vet' rage quits for the night another capt takes his place, and a standard match begins! (Yay!) new guy learns a lot and leavs lobby after round, teams get swapped, life goes on.

My overall point?

Yes many veterans are upset by being out in lobbies with low level players for X reason, but that's no reason to shout and swear at new players... Yes speak your frustrations, hell email feedback@musegames.com, post a rant here in the pit, but for the love of Cthulu stop making yourselves look like arseholes... We all get angry but venting it directly to one sole person is wrong...

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
Re: Welcom new players, don't shun them..
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 04:19:21 am »
After you try your hardest to help new players only to have them troll you or act like horny monkeys in desperate need of being neutered, you stop believing there is good in every powder monkey and put them straight on the block list.

I know CAs who quit because they got fed up with these sorts and had no recourse. They'd try and try again out of love for the game but then found it was breaking them.

I don't mind training those who will listen and pay attention but the first and last words out of their mouths better not be some kind of horny mating call or a sentence designed to maximize the use of every curse word in the English, French, and probably a few other cultures. If they can't do that then block list they go.

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 04:52:56 am »
Oh god I know the sorts you mean, but the newbie in question was not one, and having not that Lon ago been a newbie at the receiving end of a rant myself I feel sorry for the newbies being let down by the trolls...

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 12:53:10 pm »
Played with a Russian named Vanuse today.

His first match was on my blenderfish. We gave him a win.

Despite being unable to communicate well in English, he was very communicative.

I've vented before in the pit. I believe some people know me for that. And really, I feel bad for venting. I knew I would feel bad as I was writing it. But had to get it out of my mind.

I think the idea of a "team game" is still new to the world. GOIO is probably the only game that requires team work in all levels of play. I think if we keep at it for few more years, the gaming community can change from a bunch of secluded trolls into responsible, fun-loving adults.

Offline RedRoach

• Salutes: 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 01:12:28 pm »
I don't know whether I should be sad that I haven't been yelled at or seen anyone being yelled at for being a colossal idiot  in my time of playing Guns of Icarus and been able to make retorts and puns back, or whether I should be happy that my experience in this game has enforced happiness and teamwork.

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 11:39:16 am »
RedRoach: Ypu must be doing something right!

In the point of rants, it's a perfectly acceptable thing to be posted here in the pits! Much better rage in the pit were people know what stuff to expect here than people
Rage and argue in game.

Other team play games exist, Puzzle Pirates is a good free to play example, many hours I spent on that game and if ever I find myself, and just like GoIo and found myself cursing having a galleon manned by AI or being on the defending side of a blockade with more bilge rats than gunners, or AFKers...
It's a game id recommend any GoIoplayer who is looking for anther timesink! I may actually suggest it to Devs next fireside for some inspiration towards adventure mode...

But yeah other team games exist and just like GoIo are frustrating from the boys and girls trying to be Leroy Jenkins or Chuck Norris, or the gunners who refuse to do anything beyond being as trigger happy as Tex on speed...

Offline Canon Whitecandle

• Salutes: 8
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 04:23:23 pm »
I manipulate useless powder monkeys instead of getting angry. They wanna sit on one gun all match and do nothing else? Fine, I give them the firing arc when I need it and put an engineer to use on the other guns the rest of the time. An engineer can't figure out what end of the fire extinguisher spouts the gushy white stuff? Fine, he can sit on the hull for the whole game, if I absolutely need to I can duck out and swap to engineer/take a fire tool. Sometimes you just gotta cover all the bases you can and hope for the best.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 06:58:48 pm »
Thats all fun and games till they unload their entire clip into a cloud or a rock then have no ammo for when there is a ship.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 06:43:30 pm »
Oh god I know the sorts you mean, but the newbie in question was not one, and having not that Lon ago been a newbie at the receiving end of a rant myself I feel sorry for the newbies being let down by the trolls...

lol one would think you're the last person to advocate noobs.
I see you on global being all depressed over noobs.

But yeah we all kinda know the deal though. The noobs will go away eventually and the prodigies will stay.

you can't change an imbecile, they have to make that decision by themselves. If they can't realize their behaviour won't fly in the guns community (this including conduct within the game), they will be shunned as deserving of them.

They will leave, prolly even give a bad score for the game. But who cares? Those that want to play will play. Those that come in wanting a game to play to their selfish liking is gonna go away.

In the end Guns players remains.

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 05:26:09 am »
I have not ranted about newbies on global in a Lon time thanky oh very much.
Though I admit I've had my moments of indirect rants, I avoid singling players out and making them feel like shit.

No names mentioned, one high level player today trolled a low level junker captain who was learning, apparently he also also gave a fair share of rage. I've crossed paths with the loud mouthed 'vet' before and I hope the crew he was being an area to just BRR him...
That makes all high levels and vets look bad and makes wanting to stay online less appealing for new players...

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 10:20:23 am »
Today, I do admit why some newbies will induce rage...

Level two engineer insulting my piloting abilities (fuckin shit they are apparently) because our hull armour (not perma hull) took a little damage while he ignored his post as mortar gunner which he said he'd do... Gatling gunner took down armour four times and with no mortar gunner we didn't stand much more chance as our ally spire dropped and both enemies focused on us (well played those guys for focused fire the whole match)

Overall point is when a new player thinks he knows better and refuses to listen to reason it certainly inspires one to want to rage...

My faith in Swabbies and Powder monkeys once again dropping...

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2014, 04:36:45 pm »
This is classic behavior. I've had some get very violent at times too. They'll have maybe a dozen, maybe two dozen matches tops and they'll be considering themselves pro players. Then they look at you like you're a jerk for telling them they're wrong. Max level, 3000+ matches...yeah, shut up.

Said it before and say it again..."Block list." Don't hold onto silly ideals of giving people the benefit of the doubt, just block them. Saves you a lot of frustration in the long run.