Author Topic: King of the Hill Ideas  (Read 7097 times)

Offline Admiral Ackbar RTDT

• Salutes: 5
    • [Krag]
    • View Profile
King of the Hill Ideas
« on: November 21, 2014, 05:51:05 pm »
My brother and I find that King of the Hill matches are not very fun. I hardly ever see a comeback. The team who takes the point first wins 80% of the time. I was thinking expanding the capture area so you can pursue ships to finish them off and still be capturing the point. Currently you have to choose to fight our capture the point and that is not as fun. Also maybe getting a few points for kills would add to both King of the Hill and Crazy King.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
Re: King of the Hill Ideas
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 06:03:19 pm »
Thats cause most players do not communicate and coordinate. You can't retake a point solo, unless you are a munker. But in those cases you have no allies either, just targets so it is possible to retake with a single ship.

But tweaks to the rules would be welcome. Say the timer starts tipping the other way if the other team has more ships on the point than you? That might stir up the matches and force people to be a bit more mindful of the point. Points per kill might too, but the problem is you have the chance of matches just turning into more of what we already have...which is a bunch of newbies that don't know the rules going around trying to kill everything and then a single boat going around capping and winning the match.

Ultimately CP just has a high requirement for communication, teamwork, and reading comprehension skills. Something which not everyone has. Which is where the problem comes in. These factors can't be adjusted or changed cause they aren't game related.

Offline Caprontos

• Salutes: 17
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 07:12:36 pm »
I think making it so who ever has the "most ships" on a point - instead of "only ships" would be a positive change..

I also think giving a team some points for kills sounds ok but, then again.. NO - DO NOT DO THAT... Because.. It will only further confuse people what they should be doing on a CP map.. Newer players already think its death match.. If they see that kills = points.. That will just reinforce there thoughts..

Besides I like the whole .. one team gets 599 then the other team pulls out a comeback of 600 points.. :P... rare but I like that it can happen..

Other random thoughts..

-Have the balloon move around a little.. up and down and to the sides, so the capture area isn't static.. (probably a bad idea)..

-Have a toggle-able visible "point range" key.. so you can see where the point actually is..

-Make it so after some seconds the point auto-uncaps and needs to be re-caped.. (I don't know if would change much honestly)..

-Make the balloon hittable.. and hitting it uncaps a team.. (sniper ships op?... probably a bad idea.. )..

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 09:38:35 pm »
Well it would be great if we had moving balloon KOH on other maps where the point has a path it takes around the level and you have to fight and move with it to keep it capped. It would be a great gametype. However, its unknown if it is possible with the engine. Muse would have to chime in on it.

Offline Bronzium

• Salutes: 11
    • [HMCS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 12:34:48 am »
Say the timer starts tipping the other way if the other team has more ships on the point than you?
A million times this.

It always irks me that KoTH is not like this. I'd figure that should be exactly how it is: whoever has the most ships on point should be the ones capping.

I do like the idea of a mobile KoTH though, either way, you get a salute from me. :)

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 01:53:40 am »
Yeah, might want to ask Muse next dev chat. I always get up too late to be around for them.

Offline shaelyn

• Salutes: 73
    • [◉‿◉]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 11:00:16 am »
...or just email them?  :P

I do wish KotH was about having most ships on point as well.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 11:19:39 am »
No seriously, why cant the point move?

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 12:17:03 pm »
I don't think most ships on point is a great idea. The squid wold become totally useless in the only game mode where it's useful. There's already some debate about the squid being useless on KOTH due to the "cap and die" thing the squid tends to do. No longer would the squid rush in and dance until an ally shows. That ship can't fend off bloody anything on its own. That. And pyramidions and galleons would be even more prevalent than they are now.

Overall do not want. I think the game mode is fine as it sits now. Comebacks aRe super common against even teams. The only time you get swept is when some one doesn't know what they're doing, is uncooperative, or the lobby was stacked from the start. This proposed change would solve none of that

(Although, a moving point sounds super rad)

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 12:46:20 pm »
I don't think most ships on point is a great idea. The squid wold become totally useless in the only game mode where it's useful. There's already some debate about the squid being useless on KOTH due to the "cap and die" thing the squid tends to do. No longer would the squid rush in and dance until an ally shows. That ship can't fend off bloody anything on its own. That. And pyramidions and galleons would be even more prevalent than they are now.

Overall do not want. I think the game mode is fine as it sits now. Comebacks aRe super common against even teams. The only time you get swept is when some one doesn't know what they're doing, is uncooperative, or the lobby was stacked from the start. This proposed change would solve none of that

(Although, a moving point sounds super rad)

All of this, but in my voice. Have my salutations in the form of a forum salute!