Author Topic: Feedback Debate  (Read 26460 times)

Offline obliviondoll

• Salutes: 26
    • [BSky]
    • View Profile
    • obliviondoll's blog (barely-maintained)
Re: Feedback Debate
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2014, 05:07:05 pm »
I use Drogue Chute.

Aggressively engage ANYONE with anti-balloon weapons, and Drogue gives you a longer window of throwing caution overboard as you float down instead of dropping like a rock.

I also use Impact Bumpers on a Junker sometimes.

Usually, yes, you want to be dodging the ram. But sometimes, NOT dodging can be beneficial, and sometimes, dodging then reversing thrust and counter-ramming with your bumpers on can throw an enemy's aim off because they've turned off their course-stabilising piloting tool after realising they didn't hit, and knocking them off-arc can be an unexpected approach. Simply ramming a ship back when they try to ram you catches most players off-guard when you're a Junker (why? Because you're a Junker! Junkers don't ram things!).

It isn't 100% guaranteed to work, but it does give you an edge simply because your enemy won't be expecting it.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2014, 05:29:52 am »
I think Junkers don't ram things, because it will leave them with only 1 front gun and a damaged balloon.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2014, 08:56:36 am »
I think Junkers don't ram things, because it will leave them with only 1 front gun and a damaged balloon.

And because they're slow + lightweight - the rams don't do much damage either.

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2014, 09:05:43 am »
I don't usually pilot a Junker, but I've seen a few Junkers tap my ship to escape, although I think this usually means a dead balloon for them.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2014, 03:02:00 pm »
Impact bumpers on a Junker would only waste a tool slot. Junkers simply don't benefit from them because a good Junker pilot DODGES any incoming rams. A Pyramidion coming in for a ram should be every Junker pilot's best-case scenario. Just kick on a little Kerosene and Phoenix claw and you're suddenly on the side of the Pyra with your kill guns ready to go.

Thats the thing, if you get rammed constantly, thats when i advise impact bumpers just to shield your baloon.
But good junker pilots shouldnt have to worry.

Offline obliviondoll

• [BSky]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2014, 08:21:21 pm »
I don't usually pilot a Junker, but I've seen a few Junkers tap my ship to escape, although I think this usually means a dead balloon for them.
So you're saying to pair the bumpers with drogue chute? :P

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2014, 08:36:00 pm »

I wouldn't know. Not a great junker pilot. I've just seen a handful of Junkers tap my pyramidion with their balloon to knock us off gun arc.

But I know using altitude altering tools and balloon blocking is very effective on a junker because the pilot can mallet the balloon.

Herr Kommandant can repair his own balloons for once.
(Herr Kommandant because Junkers were Prussian nobles. Get the joke? Eh, it was a long shot.)

For even more obscure joke, let me apologize to the Herr Kommandant:

"I'm Only a Humble Sergeant, Herr Kommandant"
(I don't even know what this is referring to. I saw it somewhere in the web. In fact, does anybody know what this is referring to?)

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2014, 07:12:22 am »
(Herr Kommandant because Junkers were Prussian nobles. Get the joke? Eh, it was a long shot.)

...my God. [triple facepalm, augmented with facewall]

Please. Please. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dbR2JZmlWo

Offline obliviondoll

• [BSky]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2014, 01:36:07 am »

I wouldn't know. Not a great junker pilot. I've just seen a handful of Junkers tap my pyramidion with their balloon to knock us off gun arc.

But I know using altitude altering tools and balloon blocking is very effective on a junker because the pilot can mallet the balloon.

For even more obscure joke, let me apologize to the Herr Kommandant:

"I'm Only a Humble Sergeant, Herr Kommandant"
(I don't even know what this is referring to. I saw it somewhere in the web. In fact, does anybody know what this is referring to?)

First off, I got both jokes.

Secondly, the second joke is a reference to a show called Hogan's Heroes, and now that you know you should look it up and watch it. Because it's amazing.

Back on-topic though, while I sometimes do run a Junker with both impact bumpers and a drogue chute, for exactly this reason, not getting hit by rams is *usually* a better option. It is possible to use impact bumpers to minimise the damage taken by voluntarily taking a ram, or by actively ramming for yourself. Once you've rammed a target, if you do manage to pop your own balloon, you can pop the drogue chute while reversing direction, and either take pressure off your crew by repairing the balloon yourself, or by simply telling them "no rush on the balloon, chute's up" and let them leave it for a more opportune time.

The approach to take depends on whether you're in a CQC build or not, how high up you are, and the relative positions and the reaction of the enemy ship after the ram.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2014, 02:05:06 am »

They also end up in otherworldly places: http://youtu.be/Q3RcyYgiZ6k

That was from a competitive match last year sometime. Think against Cake too. We rammed their junker into the globe and our ship went to warp speed on the stream but like that for us.