Author Topic: The Squall Light Autocannon  (Read 6646 times)

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
The Squall Light Autocannon
« on: November 28, 2014, 04:49:44 am »

That there is a Puckle gun. Which was the precursor to modern autocannons. Which other members have mentioned here being, the pom poms. This is the QF1. The first pom pom:

It was a design used all over the world but saw it's first major use during WWI.

Now this weapon is not new to the GOIO forums. Others have posted it. So I'm just bringing their idea back and posting a way it can fill a spot immediately in game right now.

Proposal is for a single barrel semi auto fire light mount gun that serves in the mid range kill role that is vacant with the moving of the light flak up to long range. I don't count the banshee for this range as its more of a ranged flamethrower. Also, it doesn't shoot fast enough.

So, damage type...simple: Explosive
Range: Short - Medium. Max probably around 500-700.
Rate of fire: High
Spread: Triple shot semi auto with bullet spread.
Clip: 9-12 round. Mortar style rotating drum. So 3-4 bursts before reload.
Reload speed: Mortar speed would be reasonable.
Damage potency: Between LF and Mortar.
Bullet speed: Light Flak level speed
Jitter: High
Time between bursts: Debatable. 1-2 sec.

The purpose of this weapon would not be to replace the mortar or the flak, but to serve a role that the old light flak left open with it's move to long range play. For a quick hitting weapon that could generally land shots well in the short ranges but poor as the distance increased. Perfect for side mounting like on Squids, Junkers, Goldfish. Potential viability on Spires and Mobulas too. Any ship where arming timers are liabilities and getting mortars to unload fast enough is problematic due to the vessel needing to turn to make it happen.

Ammo must have a spread to it. So it fires 3 shots with spread. Heavy Clip maybe can resolve this but ultimately it would be a weapon more effective at quick strafing runs. Why 3 shots? Because we don't have a semi auto gun in the game. The gun would have to have a good kick to it due to firing 3 shots at a time. Hence the reason for the spread and the jitter. Aim may need to be reset after every burst.

Alternate firing mechanism...air. Similar to modern paintball guns. Pressure fired. Believe me, you can turn up paintball guns and shoot through wood with them. Also folks these day do use BB guns to hunt at times. Granted this is for a cannon so the pressure would be nuts. But the gun could add all sorts of leaky hoses and gizmos for visual effects.

So, thats pretty much it. Debate away! The one factor that is completely off the table and will never be considered for this weapon...arming timer. No, just no. No more timers. Defeats the purpose of having a weapon like this.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 05:02:17 am by Gilder Unfettered »

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: The Squall Light Autocannon
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 06:32:30 am »
The border between LF and mortar is super small. Most people would see it as a LF clone of sorts. But we allready have the banshee wich is a fiery twist to an explosive weapon that is almost like what you have mentioned.

But i would like to see this model being used, and ofcourse its firing pattern. All guns fire at a pace, would be nice for burst shots.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 07:20:38 am »
Banshee doesn't kill fast enough, which is the problem. Plus with the fire chance, you often want to spray it before the armor drops. Need LF killing capability in those ranges.

Course, solve it right away by removing the LF arming timer. But, I figured thinking up a new gun might be more fun and in post arming timer GOIO there is no chance it'll be removed.

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 10:53:26 am »
Banshee doesn't kill fast enough, which is the problem. Plus with the fire chance, you often want to spray it before the armor drops. Need LF killing capability in those ranges.

Course, solve it right away by removing the LF arming timer. But, I figured thinking up a new gun might be more fun and in post arming timer GOIO there is no chance it'll be removed.

Arming timer was a necessary feature, let's be honest.  But I do like the idea, especially the burst fire bit.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 12:22:21 pm »
Rather than give it a random recoil/jitter/spread, what if it fires three rapid burst shots which throw the aim up a little with each shot? That way, the recoil can be overcome somewhat with skill.

I would personally give it a four three shot bursts. This would give it 3 bursts with heavy clip.

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 01:58:19 pm »
Rather than give it a random recoil/jitter/spread, what if it fires three rapid burst shots which throw the aim up a little with each shot? That way, the recoil can be overcome somewhat with skill.

I would personally give it a four three shot bursts. This would give it 3 bursts with heavy clip.

This just keeps getting better.  Maybe give it somewhat limited arcs to keep it from owning as well as the mortar in CQC.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 05:09:05 pm »

This just keeps getting better.  Maybe give it somewhat limited arcs to keep it from owning as well as the mortar in CQC.

That is what I implied. Firing the shots would throw off the aim. You'd have to readjust your aim in between bursts. So, bam bam bam...cannon is now elevated, gunner readjust, rinse/repeat till the clip is empty.

Also, can picture this weapon as a high burst damage. So when it impacts with 3 shells in different spots, you have kind of a wash over effect where you see markers across a wider area.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 05:14:13 pm by Gilder Unfettered »