Author Topic: Artemis v Banshee  (Read 23594 times)

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
Re: Artemis v Banshee
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2014, 08:05:13 am »
You guys are having trouble with a plural because you are using a slang form of the name.

The weapon's name is the Artemis Light Rocket Launcher, therefore, the plural is Artemis Light Rocket Launchers.

But if you really want a plural for the short version you would pluralize it in the same way you do any name, because you are calling it by a nickname.

so because it ends in s, Artemises is probably the most acceptable.

Following the same logic IMHO Artemis is the plural for Artemis, much like fish for fish or sheep for sheep.

"That junkers got three Artemis." #retro

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2014, 08:48:55 am »
See, the real problem here is trying to make a plural of a proper name. It's like trying to take the plural of Paris. There are multiple places called Paris, but you don't call them Parises or Parii. You call them cities named Paris.

Offline GeoRmr

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2014, 08:54:13 am »
See, the real problem here is trying to make a plural of a proper name. It's like trying to take the plural of Paris. There are multiple places called Paris, but you don't call them Parises or Parii. You call them cities named Paris.

1: Où habitez-vous? Paris?
2: Oui, mais pas celui que vous pensez.
3: Eh bien selon Paris vous êtes dans - parler français tous les jours.

Plural of Artemis is Artemis confirmed.

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2014, 09:10:07 am »
Dammit, I don't speak French so I can't counter.

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2014, 10:09:17 am »
I don't know what the last one is, but the first two are:

1. Where is your habitat? (where do you live?) Paris?
2. Yes, but not what you think.

I apologize for the horrid translation. This comes from two weeks I've spent with a Mexican guy trying to learn French.
Instead Google translate tells me:

1. Where do you live? Paris?
2. Yes, but not the one you think.
3. Well as you are in Paris - French speaking daily.

So I guess the point is that the plural of Paris is Paris, so the plural of Artemis must be Artemis.

Can't really counter that.

Offline JaegerDelta

• Salutes: 16
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2014, 10:42:46 am »

that just shifted the plural from Paris to city. that does not mean the plural of Paris is Paris.

if you keep the plural on the proper noun it would be Parises. "there are many Parises around the world"

because we are speaking English and dealing with a name, the rule for plural is you do not change spelling and add an s  (Smiths, multiple entities named Smith). if the proper noun ends in s and an es (Joneses multiple entities named Jones).

i use the word entity instead of people or persons because we are dealing with the personification of an object. When you address it by its nickname "Artemis" instead of Artemis Light Rocket Launcher, you are treating it as a person.

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2014, 10:50:39 am »
We need an English professor or something to diffuse this debate.

Can anybody ask Muse next fireside chat?

Offline JaegerDelta

• Salutes: 16
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2014, 11:04:50 am »
We need an English professor or something to diffuse this debate.

Can anybody ask Muse next fireside chat?

No we dont, its a rule of the English language, which we are all writing in here (except for that one french post :P). The only way to make a proper noun plural is to add an -s or, if the proper noun ends in s, x, z, ch, or sh, -es.
That is just how it works.

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2014, 11:22:36 am »
Well, yes, and no.

The English language has so many exceptions that it often can't be simplified into simple rules. New words that are added to the English diction is often from popular use.

There was a similar debate in the StarCraft forums about what the plural for the Protoss Colossus was (Colossuses? Colossi?). Blizzard resolved the debate by officially announcing that it was Colossi.

Artemis is a shortened term for the Artemis Rocket Launcher, and it really should be called the Rocket Launcher. But Artemis is the popular community term for the pretty gun. It's a minute discussion that has to be properly addressed for the convenience of communication.

And Artemises doesn't sound good... It sounds like I'm saying Arty-Missus. Just doesn't flow to well...

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2014, 12:19:57 pm »
*coughs.*
#derailedabit
*coughs*

Artemis over banshee for disable capabilities, but the banshee has more killing power when armour is down...
But Artemis is easier to shoot long range alongside a Hades it can be effective, have not seen or tried banshee at range..

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2014, 02:11:33 pm »
Banshee is close to midrange.
In theory it has a big enough range (round 800-1k) but the spread is pretty high so you dont want to use it against junkers or squids on longer ranges.

Offline obliviondoll

• Salutes: 26
    • [BSky]
    • View Profile
    • obliviondoll's blog (barely-maintained)
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2014, 10:35:59 pm »
The French argument doesn't apply because Artemis is the name of a Greek Goddess, and not derived from French at all.

Sources confirm that Artemis is a non-standard feminine noun. Unfortunately, that makes it difficult to define how to convert it into plural, particularly since, as the name of a Goddess, it is intended to function as a standalone singular word without needing a plural form.

That said, many feminine nouns in Greek end in "is" in a common singular form. The plural form usually replaces this with "es".

The following are words derived from either Latin or Greek where the singular ends in "is", listed with their plural forms:

Axis -> Axes
Crisis -> Crises
Nemesis -> Nemeses
Genesis -> Geneses

Artemes seems like the logical and probably correct assumption.

Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_plurals#Irregular_plurals_from_Latin_and_Greek
http://www.biomedicaleditor.com/spelling-tip-latin.html (NOTE: URL only mentions Latin, but the page references Greek as well)

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2014, 10:46:35 pm »
Plural of Artemis is Artemis confirmed.

Observing the natural evolution of words, Mes will become mis.

Offline GeoRmr

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2014, 03:37:24 pm »
The French argument doesn't apply because Artemis is the name of a Greek Goddess, and not derived from French at all.

Sources confirm that Artemis is a non-standard feminine noun. Unfortunately, that makes it difficult to define how to convert it into plural, particularly since, as the name of a Goddess, it is intended to function as a standalone singular word without needing a plural form.

That said, many feminine nouns in Greek end in "is" in a common singular form. The plural form usually replaces this with "es".

The following are words derived from either Latin or Greek where the singular ends in "is", listed with their plural forms:

Axis -> Axes
Crisis -> Crises
Nemesis -> Nemeses
Genesis -> Geneses

Artemes seems like the logical and probably correct assumption.

Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_plurals#Irregular_plurals_from_Latin_and_Greek
http://www.biomedicaleditor.com/spelling-tip-latin.html (NOTE: URL only mentions Latin, but the page references Greek as well)

Holy shit, I'm sold. Artemes is the plural.

Offline Replaceable

• Salutes: 84
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2014, 06:11:06 pm »
Yep seems good to me. Although Artemis Light Rocket Launchers seems good to me still too...