Author Topic: Squid Racing!!!  (Read 89354 times)

Offline JaceBoojah

• Salutes: 42
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Squid Racing!!!
« on: March 31, 2013, 10:19:48 pm »

I have some ideas for squid racing events.  This will take some work and planning to put together.

So I want to put together a SQUID RACING event team.  People who can help come up with ideas, explore the map together (because we need 4 to do that, and then run the event.

if you are interested or have any suggestions write them here.

[the idea so far]
the races will be with squids on Canyon ambush.  all squids will be flare gun only.  moonshine and buff hammers are encouraged. 

TRACKS SO FAR!

Fjords Track 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrGpARCkco4&feature=share&list=UUQuR0B-HhVm-YhxqNwuyCtg

Canyon Track 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2XktNaMvng&feature=share&list=UUQuR0B-HhVm-YhxqNwuyCtg

Dunes Loop 1
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 05:08:32 pm by Shinkurex »

Offline Swallox

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 30
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Re: Squid Racing!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 10:24:01 pm »
Yes.

Offline Squash

• Salutes: 71
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 10:28:36 pm »
Why not allow mercs, flamethrowers, harpoons and carronades, ala wacky racers.

Offline Morblitz

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 35
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 10:32:32 pm »
Oh god harpoons.

Offline JaceBoojah

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 10:43:27 pm »
Why not allow mercs, flamethrowers, harpoons and carronades, ala wacky racers.

You are right! what I wrote up there is just my idea so far.  I'm very excited about the mario cart aspect of it.

note: that map is just a mock up, i just drew a quick line. I would love to get in a game with some people and really explore and come up with ideas.

Offline Connor Mc.

• Salutes: 18
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 10:53:22 pm »
I say the "winners" get to destroy the enemy squids and get achievements they need

Offline Squash

• Salutes: 71
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 11:06:00 pm »
You know there's an interesting way to avoid the limitations of following a set track, Phoebe had an idea earlier where three squids would compete to be the first to ram a goldfish.

Why not have team of 2 ships, each team is one squid, the racer, and one goldfish, the finish line. The first squid to ram the opponent's goldfish wins.

This would work as a race, though some teams might try to hide the goldfish as a strategy instead, it also has cat and mouse as well as racing aspects. The rules would be clearer since there isn't an arbitrary course that has to be followed, and it can work on any map.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 11:07:32 pm by Squash »

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 11:18:17 pm »
Nice, an excuse to get my competitive squid on.  Not sure I'll be available when you do this but if I am you can count me in.

Offline Linen

• Salutes: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 01:25:43 am »
I was actually thinking of doing this. I'm glad someone else caught on so I can compete instead.

I do like the idea of being able to have weapons. Why limit something that could be amazing. The way I thought it could be done is in teams (so people can still shoot without lame friendly fire disadvantages) as a tourney ladder. 3 spectators are allocated predefined check points on the map. They mark off when a competitor has passed. Otherwise track is free whichever way the competitors wish. 4th spectator can be open for a streamer. First team to have 1 ship pass the last checkpoint wins.

Offline JaceBoojah

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 04:59:15 am »
I was actually thinking of doing this. I'm glad someone else caught on so I can compete instead.

I do like the idea of being able to have weapons. Why limit something that could be amazing. The way I thought it could be done is in teams (so people can still shoot without lame friendly fire disadvantages) as a tourney ladder. 3 spectators are allocated predefined check points on the map. They mark off when a competitor has passed. Otherwise track is free whichever way the competitors wish. 4th spectator can be open for a streamer. First team to have 1 ship pass the last checkpoint wins.
yes yes yes.  checkpoints. 

contact me in game today (monday) if you want to actually get into the canyon map and work out some ideas!

Squash, I do like that game type you are talking about and want to play it, but I DO want to work on this as a "set track" or check point based race. (checkpoints leaving room for creative routes)

If every weapon was available then the racing would be too much like a death match.
Crews should not be worried about their hull. They should be worried about there engines and ballon to keep racing.

No killing weapons: mercury, gatling, flak.
No carronades because it would be way too easy to pop the enemy's balloon.

There will be plenty of action with flamers, flares, harpoons etc.

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 05:48:42 am »
im in

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 08:38:56 am »
Good thing the merc's banned. You'd be able to put one on the front and take out the enemy's engines the moment they pass you.

Offline Linen

• Salutes: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 08:56:27 am »
yes yes yes.  checkpoints. 

contact me in game today (monday) if you want to actually get into the canyon map and work out some ideas!

Squash, I do like that game type you are talking about and want to play it, but I DO want to work on this as a "set track" or check point based race. (checkpoints leaving room for creative routes)

If every weapon was available then the racing would be too much like a death match.
Crews should not be worried about their hull. They should be worried about there engines and ballon to keep racing.

No killing weapons: mercury, gatling, flak.
No carronades because it would be way too easy to pop the enemy's balloon.

There will be plenty of action with flamers, flares, harpoons etc.

Makes sense. I think I missed you today. I'll be on tomorrow. Added you so I might see you then.

Offline Pickle

• [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 09:01:11 am »
Could Muse be persuaded to develop a modified Flayed or Refinery map for checkpoint racing? - where the countdown timer is replaced by an "active until capped" feature, and the next point is random not sequential? -  a flat 50 points for each CP capped.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 09:04:33 am »
Could Muse be persuaded to develop a modified Flayed or Refinery map for checkpoint racing? - where the countdown timer is replaced by an "active until capped" feature, and the next point is random not sequential? -  a flat 50 points for each CP capped.

I'm sure if we give them enough Bacon ^.^