Author Topic: Tool Cooldown  (Read 8028 times)

Offline RedRoach

• Salutes: 23
    • View Profile
Tool Cooldown
« on: November 18, 2014, 04:30:06 pm »
Everybody knows that if you're sitting on the balloon whacking it with a mallet is stupid, and not worth any true airman's time. (*ahem* powder monkeys *ahem) However, what not everyone knows is why.

How does the cooldown time work in Guns of Icarus? And why is it there?

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
Re: Tool Cooldown
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 04:36:52 pm »
Applying an action on part gives it a cooldown specified by the tool you are using. It renders part unable to repair for the time of sustaining cooldown.

And about "why" it is in GOIO... I'd say - for purpose of balancing gameplay mechanics. ^^

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 04:40:02 pm »
Everybody knows the best way to repair an airship is to smash it with something blunt.

But everybody also knows that if you smash too frequently, (or too hard), ship is completely wrecked.

So there is the cool down.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 04:48:29 pm by Indreams »

Offline Replaceable

• Salutes: 84
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 04:43:31 pm »
Hitting a component, registers a hit on a device inside the component which starts a rebuild sequence over time. (Dependent on the weight of the tool hitting it.)

The reason the rebuild appears to be instantaneous is due to the (what i assume to be nano-robots) work from the outside of the component into the inside.

Also Schwalbe the world is for lore discussion, so why in the GOIO world would there be cooldown

Offline Watchmaker

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 55
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 04:54:13 pm »
Gotta give your steam-powered mechanisms time to equalize the pressure.  Or something like that.

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 05:00:24 pm »
Each tool swing causes the whacked component to vibrate. If a component is whacked too frequently, a stimulation close to an eigenfrequency of the component or the entire ship can be caused. This is the reason for countless catastrophic failures in the early days of aviation. We've researched this Phenomenon and learned from the failures of the past. As a result all airship engineering directives, which is in effect these days, emphasize the necessity of keeping strict cooldown times in-between tool whacks.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 05:24:41 pm by Wundsalz »

Offline RedRoach

• Salutes: 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 05:10:17 pm »
I like to think that every time I hit something with my spanner, I'm hitting a specific part, like a tuner for the engines, and those things take a while to pop out again. When they don't pop out again, they're full.

With bigger items, bigger and more important parts are stabilized per swing. However, these larger, more studier parts take time to pop out again before they can be interacted with.

This is also a key part as to why repairing with such a weak tool such as the spanner is important. The large parts require heft in order to push and repair, taking a while to push with the unwieldy mallet and wrench, while the small parts can be quickly adjusted and fabricated for mid-combat use.

Alright, now to shift out focus to more tools than just repair.

Why can't someone repair something that's been chemsprayed 3 seconds ago, and vice-versa?

Offline Ultimate Pheer

• Salutes: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 06:54:42 pm »
Percussive maintenance doesn't work if something isn't broken, or if you hit it too much.

You need to space out your violence against the crucial ship components so that it doesn't get angry at you and stop working entirely.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 03:36:02 am »
Gotta give your steam-powered mechanisms time to equalize the pressure.  Or something like that.

Translated into Arashi: "Bang! Tick tock tick tock... Bang!"