Author Topic: The Art of Ramming Theory  (Read 27961 times)

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
Re: The Art of Ramming Theory
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2014, 12:40:22 pm »
We should all pretend moonshine squid rams are OP on a fully armoured galleon and see how many newbies do it :)
+1

Offline RedRoach

• Salutes: 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2014, 01:04:20 pm »
We should all pretend moonshine squid rams are OP on a fully armoured galleon and see how many newbies do it :)

Sorry, beat you to the punch. Got screamed at by an experienced engineer when my "hit-and-run" tactic failed and ended up bumping into the back of a galleon.

Man, that was not a fun match.  :'(

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2014, 01:15:45 pm »
Oh I'm sure most of us have done it by mistake :)

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2014, 03:01:00 pm »
Got screamed at by an experienced engineer when my "hit-and-run" tactic failed and ended up bumping into the back of a galleon.

Dangit, you're not supposed to literally hit the enemy in a hit and run.

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2014, 03:19:30 pm »
When I hit and run, I kero for the lightest ship (typically a junker). I ram (or they move out of the way) through them to the other side. Sometimes I get a kill. Most of the time, I disorientate the enemy for my ally.

Offline RedRoach

• Salutes: 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2014, 03:22:36 pm »
My concept of Hit-and-run is pop balloonm, disable guns with flamer, then run away so your ally has the heat taken off him for a few seconds.

Back on topic, I feel that ramming needs to be acompanied with hefty piercing power. One doesn't simply charge at a ship with full hull armor using a flamer - hades and expect the ship to take any damage.

Offline Sprayer

• Salutes: 14
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2014, 04:58:12 pm »
[...]
I've come up with a theory... not sure if there is a established theory but I think the damage is calculated by the speed and newton mass compared to the speed and mass of the other
In theory the more mass and speed the more damage that's applied to it's opposite.
[...]

[...]
I've come up with a theory... not sure if there is a established theory but I think the damage is calculated relative momentum of the ships. In theory the more momentum the more damage that's applied in total.
[...]

Fixed it for you. In school they teach momentum=speed*mass which should be a good enough approximation for this game. I assume the total damage done to both ships is dependent on the momentum the ships have relative to eachother, while the ratio of damage distribution is equal to the ratio of their masses.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 04:59:51 pm by Sprayer »

Offline .Daring Do.

• Salutes: 4
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2014, 12:55:15 pm »
Kerosene can save your engineers work and more stable.
But if your Daring and aggressive use moonshine... wisely.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2014, 01:43:37 pm »
Double Gatling moonshine on Paritan rumble... *drools*

Offline .Daring Do.

• Salutes: 4
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2014, 06:32:59 pm »
*** ADD ON ***

Pin Points

In theory, I kinda mapped out the center mass of each ship to apply max force to cause max damage. Take in account for the enemy turning and movements as factors that may vary. I Alway thought the middle of the ship is where the hull is and that can be true as well.

Gold fish- Looking at the gold fish on the right side (position of the _ slot) you want hit between the 3rd and 4th panel to the right or ideally between the helm and balloon

Junker- Near the 4th slot on the junker there is a metal barrel or something you basically want to hit that or right above the 2nd slot

Squid- you want to hit the ramp that leads up the the balloon or between the hull and balloon

Galleon- Even if you could there's a construction beam right bellow the smallest lowest balloon from the front of the right of the ship you want to hit the first circle closest to the front of the ship

Spire_ its basically a stick from  bottom to top but on the side you want to hit the stairwell that connects the bottom to top

Mobula- pretty straight on but on the side you want to hit between the upper guns and the main engine

Pyramidion- on the balloon the is a construction rail (boxes with diagonal lines) you want to hit the 4th box to the right or the top of the staircase that leads to the helm

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2014, 09:15:26 pm »

Just pretend you're a Typhoon round.  Squids are probably cheap to build, so fill the hull with lochnagar shot, buff the engines, replace the fuel with pure moonshine, and tape the trigger of the front flamer down.  Equip parachute, aim at Galleon, and jump.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2014, 09:32:34 pm »
It looks even prettier if you have a rear flamer, max afterburner illusion :D

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2014, 08:08:29 am »
Just pretend you're a Typhoon round.  Squids are probably cheap to build, so fill the hull with lochnagar shot, buff the engines, replace the fuel with pure moonshine, and tape the trigger of the front flamer down.  Equip parachute, aim at Galleon, and jump.

Kinda off-topic, but I feel like suicide ships will be a thing in adventure mode.

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2014, 09:42:23 am »
In theory, I kinda mapped out the center mass of each ship to apply max force to cause max damage.
does the ram location relative to the mass center actually influence the damage dealt to the ship?
Also: how did you map out the center of mass for each ship?

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2014, 12:00:33 pm »
Kinda off-topic, but I feel like suicide ships will be a thing in adventure mode.

Maybe guided mines?  More on-topic, I am curious to know whether center-mass increases damage as well.  Unless you were aiming for the least amount of bounce, I'm not sure how that would work.