Author Topic: So we decided to take part in 7DFPS Challange...  (Read 5386 times)

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
So we decided to take part in 7DFPS Challange...
« on: November 17, 2014, 09:42:50 am »
...(and by "we" I mean - Scientific Society Of Game Developers Polygon [ KNTG Polygon ] ). The rules of the challange were to make a FPS game from scratch in 7 days. We decided to create our game in Unreal Development Kit.

The results?

Well... You can check it out here: http://kacpi.itch.io/mage-wars

Because we suddenly had numerous problems and issues (problems with configuring repository, which was Perforce, sickness and sudden realisation, that to write small piece of code based on Unreal engine requires analyzing and getting to know, I don't know... 14k lines of code?, and of course - tests at Warsaw University of Technology... fuckload of them), it's rather a prototype so far. For example, we ran out of time, and we didn't have chance to put character models in our game.

We are going to expand this idea, and make our own game about mage fighting each other. One of propositions is to make it rather cooperation team based.

So - what do you guys think about that?

Here are some concepts of our mages:

And model of our mage so far:

(I'm not sure, whether those images will display, as they are on trello's private board...)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 09:48:57 am by Schwalbe »

Offline RedRoach

• Salutes: 23
    • View Profile
Re: So we decided to take part in 7DFPS Challange...
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 07:34:06 am »
OOOOOOOoooo, mage fighting!

You guys have spells in mind, right? Standard AOE healing, fireballs, maybe blocking mana from use in other mages with a blocking spell, stuff like that.

Also, you should be able to choose which color mage you are, but it shouldn't be affected  by the team you're on. Although it would probably include a bunch of code saying if this spell is taken and this many games are played with it, it would make the game look cooler aesthetically. At first as a normal mage you could pick a color, and as you specialized your uniform would dynamically change like a fire mage having scorch marks and a tint of orange in your character.

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 07:59:13 am »
OHMYGODSOMEBODYREPLIED :D :D :D

You guys have spells in mind, right? Standard AOE healing, fireballs, maybe blocking mana from use in other mages with a blocking spell, stuff like that.

Well, I have a heckload of ideas. In fact, I have prepared a "sketch" of 6 classes and their spells. One class - Elemental Mage - was meant to be completely offensive class, while 6 others are for defensive, tactical and support purposes, with spells like portals, which are implemented, traps, curses, buffing auras, curses and even turning target to sheep. The catch is, that some of those spells have chance to get a critical failure effects - for example, target not being transformed into a mentioned ship, but into a hellborn, murderous ram. I also wanted to make system a bit familiar to the one in GOIO, I mean - you are choosing 3 spells from your class and 1 from other spells.

Ideas of the others are rather physic based, like telekinesis, or so-called "Blink", allowing you to teleport right into the direction you want. They also want to provide level-based progressing of abilities.

But, well. My ideas were not put into consideration so far. Maybe because my idea of gameplay was a bit different (I wanted to make something like GOIO - I mean, team-based cooperation FPS, mostly focused on tactics, they wanted a fast-paced FPS with mages), or maybe because we only had 7 days to create the game. ^^

So far player is provided with 4 spells:
1. Fireball (we haven't got time to put incineration as a side effect)
2. Iceball (slows targets hit for quite a long time)
3. Thunderbolt (powerful spell requiring direct hit
4. Portal spell (they work exactly as in the game Portal)

Well, in fact you can read README file included in the package with install wizard for some further info. ^^

Also, you should be able to choose which color mage you are, but it shouldn't be affected  by the team you're on. Although it would probably include a bunch of code saying if this spell is taken and this many games are played with it, it would make the game look cooler aesthetically. At first as a normal mage you could pick a color, and as you specialized your uniform would dynamically change like a fire mage having scorch marks and a tint of orange in your character.

Yes, we planned that. ;) Unreal Development Kit make such things possible, which is good.

But honestly, we barely set this prototype we have now in 7 days. In fact, Kacpi (chief of our team) uploaded this game, like, 16 seconds before the absolute deadline. XD As I mentioned before, we haven't figured out so far how to put model of our mage into game yet. :P

However. How do you like it?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 08:06:44 am by Schwalbe »

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 02:01:06 pm »
Haven't played yet, busy.  But this looks really cool!  Moving forward I would suggest going for a Team based fast paced FPS, maybe with a 'summoner' or 'overseer' class that provides tactical updates and NPC support during fights, utilizing his crystal ball to give him a birds eye view.  As RedRoach said, maybe as you specialize, you get new outfits.  But maybe, as you specialize and level, you could unlock class mutations.  A high level one might be the Paladin mutation, slowing them down, but giving them element resistance and higher health.  You'd have mainly defensive or healing spells, maybe with a shield spell as his main defensive, AoE healing 'grenade' for healz, and some kind of short range kinetic force attack that knocks the enemy around.  This could be used to get your enemy into position for a nuke from a team mate.  Also maybe access to the thunderbolt spell.  You would obtain this through playing as a healing mage and a support mage a lot.  Thoughts?