Author Topic: Buff Hammer Clicking  (Read 7939 times)

Offline Malgeist

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
Buff Hammer Clicking
« on: March 31, 2013, 07:06:55 pm »
Hey!

I love the buff hammer and the versatility it adds to engineer customization and crew composition.

But I'm not a fan of the sheer number of clicks it takes to buff certain components (i.e., hull and to a lesser extent, balloon).  I understand that it's necessary to have a time investment to offset the power of the buffs, but is there any way to reduce the number of clicks necessary to buff these more intensive components?  Maybe the ability to HOLD DOWN the button instead of clicking?  Maybe scroll the mouse wheel or just increase the amount of time between clicks to reduce the overall number of clicks necessary, but keep the time to buff the same?

I can actually FEEL myself getting carpal syndrome after I buff a few hulls!!!!

Thanks so much!

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Buff Hammer Clicking
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 08:57:56 pm »
You know, I don't engineer often, but I second this.  It's neat at first to feel every click you make impact the component but when you're enjoying the game over long periods, I think the repetitive clicking detracts from the enjoyment of the game.

Offline Helmic

• Salutes: 35
    • [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 04:50:03 am »
The clicking is important for that panicked OH SHIT THE HULL IS DOWN OH GOD FIX IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT feeling, not so much for buffing.  Personally I think the buff hammer should have been a wrench with a wrenching animation you can hold down to make it clearer you're doing something other than repairing.  Since it's a hammer, though, I don't think it can be changed without changing the "language" the mechanics speak to the player.

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 05:54:47 am »
There are ways of getting the hold down re-clicking without Muse having to change the game - I'm sure there's someone can explain how to do it.  There was a thread in the old forum where someone explained that they'd set their mouse to auto-reclick on holding down the button, with variable delay between the clicks (if I remember the thread was about the optimal re-click delay interval).

Offline Malgeist

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 03:19:30 pm »
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Hey Hubert!  I'd appreciate a link to that thread if it still exists!  I think something like that would go a long way in reducing click-fatigue.  It'd be especially great if I could set the "mouse auto-reclick on holding button" thing to operate only in the Guns of Icarus application (so I don't have to turn it on and off every time I play!).

As far as a potential game change: I understand it's a hammer, and I love reasonable amounts of clicking (i.e., buffing engines and guns), and I also love the frenetic feeling of needing to rebuild that hull or balloon NOW.  I'm just suggesting that if they want it to be a larger time investment to buff the hull and balloon, maybe it can just require fewer clicks with a greater amount of time between each whack to keep the time penalty the same.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 04:21:56 pm »
GoIO Facebook:

Q: Are you guys planning to ever make repair tools click and hold? Had a pilot last night on a crazy king that flew into every sandstorm and engine smoke cloud he could find and my hand felt like it was going to fall off.

Muse: Short answer is... yes! It's going in in this month's update.

Offline JaegerDelta

• Salutes: 16
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 02:48:07 am »
HUZZAH!

Offline -Muse- Cullen

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 08:44:57 am »
Turbo button activate!

Offline Hecatonchires

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 07:04:58 am »
Hold to buff? Oh thank god. Repetitive stress injury is a real concern for me and I absolutely love playing engie, but hammering away at buffs all game long legitimately makes me edgy about whether I'm destroying my hand or not. Holding LMB to buff up a part would be a godsend.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 09:57:44 pm »
To be honest, I've never had a problem with repetitive clicking. I understand, however, how it would bother other people. I'm gonna make full use of clicking and holding while buffing, but I will keep on mashing LMB for rebuilds, just for the feeling it creates.