Author Topic: The DOT!!!!11  (Read 8976 times)

Offline Teh Celery's

• Salutes: 6
    • [Hwut]
    • View Profile
    • WasteOfTime
The DOT!!!!11
« on: November 12, 2014, 07:00:12 pm »
Hi!

I'm not sure if this has been suggested before or not, but if it is, I guess this is a bump of sorts.

I love to play the game in Third-Person mode.  While Piloting, especially, or otherwise.  I feel it gives me a bit of extra FOV, and that could very well just be a placebo effect, but that's not the point.

My suggestion here, is that I would love to still have the DOT, or crosshair, present on my screen even while I'm in third person.
I have no problems aiming at components or flying a ship while in third person, but my main complaint here is that, while piloting, I don't have that DOT to allow me to B my targets.  It makes it difficult in this new day where there are tons of new players, and simply saying "SHOOT THE GOLDFISH!", or, "SHOOT THE TARGET THAT'S A BIT HIGHER UP!", or even, "NO, NOT THAT SHIP, THE OTHER ONE!  WT#$&@!!!" doesn't work. 
I hate having to switch back and forth from Third Person to First Person just so I can tag a target, to let my crew know that I mean business.  I wish I still had a dot so I could simply do it in Third Person. 

this would also have a huge impact on making AI shoot at the correct target, while in Third-Person view.

As it stands, while in third person, I have to just randomly hit B while twitch-aiming at a target until it finally registers.  However, with a dot, that problem would disappear.

I don't know how many other people are on my side here, but this is just a personal suggestion; I think it'd be a good idea.  I think that Third Person is the master race for this game, but that lack of crosshair is very disarming, in my honest opinion.

Either way, I'm really loving the improvements being made to the game thus far, and I'd like to give kudos to Muse for doing such a great job trying to keep the game balanced and fresh, even for the old vets, and myself. 

Cheers!

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
Re: The DOT!!!!11
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 08:20:59 pm »
+1, I had sort of gotten used to swapping back to first person while piloting just to do the spotting, but it's hella unwieldy.

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 08:31:06 pm »
At the very least, have a dot as an option

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 10:31:18 pm »
I remember when they first added "The Dot" and everyone complained about it!

But yes it should be there oooor - redesign the captain spot mechanic to work on unspotted ships, general direction (close) and spotted ships in view (far), if multiple ships pressing the spot button toggles between them.

Offline CitizenFry

• Salutes: 3
    • [☠]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 11:42:27 am »
I had incorrectly assumed for a long time that you had to have a spyglass as one of your tools if you wanted to use B spot, because I couldn't make the damn thing work (I always pilot in 3rd person). Now I've somewhat gotten used to the workaround of switching back to 1st to make a B spot.

+1 for doing something to fix this: add a (working) crosshair for 3rd person, or make it so B spot checks what's actually at the center of your screen, or make it so B spot cycles through enemy ships...

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 12:19:50 pm »

+1 for doing something to fix this: add a (working) crosshair for 3rd person

It's a dot, Fry. Get outta here with your silly correct terminology :p

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 12:22:27 pm »
Ew, third person.

I can't deny though that if first person has it, third should as well.

Offline Mr-Griffo

• Salutes: 1
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 02:22:15 pm »
cant see any reason why not. putting a captain spot on a target in first person can be tricky enough at times.

also don't want to teach grandma to suck eggs but for those that haven't thought of it re-bind third person toggle to a key like q that is easy to reach. its still unwieldy but at least there is no stretching across the keyboard in the heat of battle.

Offline Teh Celery's

• [Hwut]
    • View Profile
    • WasteOfTime
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 03:34:44 pm »
But yes it should be there oooor - redesign the captain spot mechanic to work on unspotted ships,

I'm like, 99.932687% positive that the captain's B targeting already works on unspotted ships.

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 03:56:28 pm »
Yeah it definitely works on unspotted ships.  It's a great way to point out ships for your crew to spot.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 04:54:57 pm »
But yes it should be there oooor - redesign the captain spot mechanic to work on unspotted ships,

I'm like, 99.932687% positive that the captain's B targeting already works on unspotted ships.

I think you should finish reading the rest of my sentence -

Offline Teh Celery's

• [Hwut]
    • View Profile
    • WasteOfTime
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 05:20:56 pm »
OOOOOOOooooooh.....

Sorry.  My brain has the dumbs today.