Author Topic: AGP Graphics Card Compatible?  (Read 6428 times)

Offline AzureElite

• Salutes: 0
    • [OSM]
    • View Profile
AGP Graphics Card Compatible?
« on: March 04, 2015, 09:27:46 pm »
So I have an old graphics card that I think meets the requirements, but I was wondering if it was okay to use it on this game. I don't know the exact model, but I do know it is one of the Old/Legacy Nvidia GeForce Series with AGP 8X, and I think 512 MB of DDR memory.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 09:31:35 pm by AzureElite »

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
Re: AGP Graphics Card Compatible?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 09:51:18 pm »
This game is tested on Intel Craphics. Think Sandy or Ivybridge is what Muse has in the offices. AGP should be fine. Especially 8x. If you were 2-4x then you might have a performance hit. But unless you are using classic PCI GPUs, you should be fine.

512MB doesn't say enough. It could be anything or it could be a higher end part. If you know the model then you'll know the performance level of it. Usually nVidia boards have a serial number or model number printed on the PCB of the card. Type that into a google and it should pull up what it is.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 09:53:24 pm by Gilder Unfettered »

Offline AzureElite

• [OSM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 09:54:26 pm »
Alright, thanks for your help.:)  Also, what do you mean 512MB doesn't say enough?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 10:20:27 pm by AzureElite »

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 10:55:38 pm »
512MB is the VRAM size. The 3rd party GPU makers liked to load cheap cards with tons of VRAM to increase sales. It's a marketing thing. They can sell old parts by fooling people with more VRAM. I have and old AGP nVidia board that I flashed into a Quicksilver Mac. It only has 256MB but it is one of the higher end boards. They came out with a 512MB model later, but as years went, the resellers needed to get rid of excess so they'd load on old parts and give them more VRAM as a selling point. AGP cards didn't really die till...oh...it was a few years after nVidia or ATI stopped making them. They used a bridge chip in them to get them to work on AGP sockets. However, most of them, were ATI boards, not nVidia.

So that could be something like a 7900 series, G71 chip. Or it could be total crap that a reseller bundled. If it is a 7800/7900 series card then that is roughly a PS3. Literally what Sony did was slap a G71 into the PS3 and called it a day. It didn't have a custom chip like the Xbox 360. Either way, that is plenty of power to run GOIO. How well it runs it, dunno. You'll find out.

Offline AzureElite

• [OSM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 12:57:37 am »
Oh, okay thanks makes sense now.