Author Topic: "Was that match fun? Y/N"  (Read 10392 times)

Offline Dev Bubbles

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 55
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Re: "Was that match fun? Y/N"
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2014, 09:51:00 am »
@sparklefish, yes I love your approach to identifying issues and solving them.  This is a great proposal.  We definitely get a lot of theory crafting based on personal feelings, and attempts at fact finding for the purpose of proving or reaffirming these personal feelings.  So I really appreciate this. 

With some of these specific implementations, the reason for implementation for rematches for example as I explained was not to infer that people stopped having fun after 3 matches.  I can go into this more again, but I might be just being redundant from my email.  But it's tough,  the system is compelled to straddle the social features, speed, and balance, and so if we want both balance, speed, and social features, we have to recognize that the system will never be the idea of perfection.  Therefore, any device we design to collect and analyze data has to be unbiased.  I can't have the mindset of designing a mechanism for feedback and data analysis for the purpose of proving a specific point right or wrong.  With things we do with the match maker, we look at data yes, but we do look at what issues people are reporting.  Not "I hate this," or "I love that," but what issues and use cases people are reporting.  We try to use data to see how severe these issues are.  And I think that this is the point you're making. 

Great stuff.

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
Re: "Was that match fun? Y/N"
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2014, 03:31:55 am »
The thing is, sometimes, people don't just have bad days... for example, sometimes, I pilot for fun and knowingly crash and burn. As I see it, I'm with friends, so why the fuck not? Losing can be fun too, and this game doesn't really have the population to do a win/loss based ranking system in hope that it will give a higher level of "balance". The matchmaker's form of balance is basically nerfing teamwork between well coordinated players, by separating them. Match lists with lobbies that you can choose also tend to make people stop and think, "Oh, the people in here might actually benefit from cooperation and communication. Matchmaking systems do not foster this sort of thinking.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 03:34:07 am by macmacnick »