Author Topic: Geometry: A Pilot's Main Gun (continued)  (Read 10258 times)

Offline Machiavelliest

• Salutes: 35
    • View Profile
Geometry: A Pilot's Main Gun (continued)
« on: March 31, 2013, 12:14:35 am »
This is the old forum thread.

TTP on formation flying will be forthcoming.

Offline Machiavelliest

• Salutes: 35
    • View Profile
Re: Geometry: A Pilot's Main Gun (continued)
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 10:49:53 pm »
For any of you who read the old forum thread (linked above), you will be at least partially familiar with the concepts of lead, lag, and pure pursuit, as well as turning circles.  You can glean that from the pictures alone, most likely, if you don't want to read it.  I'm also in the middle of counter-Best Korea ops and moving houses, so bear with me.  This guide will come in pieces.

By now even inexperienced pilots are grasping that coordinated strategy and mutual support are the keys to victory against an opponent in Guns of Icarus; you almost certainly see experienced pilots flying in some sort of formation to provide those two things.  This is a guide to the principles of flying in a formation, expounding upon the principles of flight geometry previously discussed.

Formation serves two main purposes with these airships:  mutual support and coordinated fires.  What type of formation you fly in greatly determines how effective it is.  My next post will cover what different formations are called, why and when they are used, and when they should not be used.