Author Topic: National issues.  (Read 5947 times)

Offline Tanya Phenole

• Salutes: 92
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
National issues.
« on: November 05, 2014, 06:51:06 am »
Hey there.

I love how this community brings up together people from different parts of the world. However, I often meet up with questions/stereotypes about my country I don't really want to talk about. I suggest , if you have such desire, list the topics related to your nation, which you'd prefer to never be touched in conversation.

I shall start with myself. I am Russian and I don't want to discuss following topics :

- Ukrainian situation. I am always in for healthy political debate, but here I am just biased(As lot of other Russians). My family been touched by that conflict, and I don't really want to spend evenings proving anything to people, who see the problem from media. If you want to clear things out for yourelf, make a visit, otherwise it is not to be discussed.

- Vodka. Historically, alcoholism taking out more  Russians than any other disease. I avoid alcohol and not enjoying discussions about it.

- Emancipation. As a majority of Russian women, I come from traditional family. We believe men and women have different role in society. Yes, we can talk about equal rights for both sexes... but you will not enjoy my opinion on this.

If anyone else have their nation-related topics they wouldn't like to discuss, I welcome you to tell about it. Let our community be more comfortable.

Offline RedRoach

• Salutes: 23
    • View Profile
Re: National issues.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 07:29:18 am »
Huh. Funny thing about me, I'm almost find with any form of conversation regarding my nation. And even if it's uncomfortable, I can fly around the questions to make them seem... less uncomfortable? However, there are things I really don't like talking about in general, and it has nothing to do with politics.

- People who insist that they're better than you in every way. Screw that. It generally leads into me inciting a flame war with someone. If they aknowledge if you're a decent flyer and a listening crewmate, great, but saying "Ah, crap, another lvl 3"  and ditching the match / ship realllly gets on my nerves.

- Insults. Once someone throws a single punch, don't care who, the internet hath my comical fury. A single insult about sandwiches is responded to "If she denies, do you starve to death?"

Offline Mezhu

• Salutes: 33
    • [Sgar]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 08:00:56 am »
Nationalist ☑
Ultra-right wing ☑
Male supremacist.. ☑
..yet part of feminist group ☑
Makes thread about 'sensitive' political issues she doesn't want mentioned in her presence ☑

10/10 thread
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 08:03:00 am by Mezhu »

Offline RedRoach

• Salutes: 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 08:34:05 am »
*blink*

Better to know what's touchy in the world than to step on someone's toe.

If You were Mexican (Thesis, don't take it seriously) and people learned you were mexican, it would be hella annoying to be asked your opinion on Taco Bell or something. Here is where you can say "I'm this, I don't want to hear this about me because it makes me uncomfortable, goodbye."

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 11:17:31 am »
This is going to get real ugly real fast.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 11:24:44 am »
Tanya specifically said she does not want to discuss the content of that post, just wants to see other, similar blacklists from other people. It's still up to mods of course, but IMO the distinction between on-topic posts and off-topic posts should be pretty clear.

If you want to discuss these specific 'national issues' in calm, polite, measured debate please make another thread.

Offline Goldenglade

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Grim]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 02:23:33 am »
We've choosen to lock this thread on the grounds it will cause more trouble then it will fix.

Additionally please respect the wishes of those players around you both in game and on the forum.