Author Topic: GoIO Metascore  (Read 8909 times)

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
GoIO Metascore
« on: November 03, 2014, 03:39:34 pm »
I was looking at GoIO's metascore in the Steam store and it's pretty low (64/100) based on reviews from 2 years ago criticizing bugs that no longer exist.  I feel like this is pretty unfair and I was wondering if there's a way to get new reviews and bump up the score a bit.  Are we doomed to have a low score or do critics ever do re-reviews?

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
Re: GoIO Metascore
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 03:52:16 pm »
Final Fantasy has done it. Few other titles have too. Not sure of all the details. Think in part they had to release under another name or alter the name a little.

Think the best chance for doing this will be with COOP mode. Then Muse can say,"Hey, new game here!"

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 03:55:01 pm »
This has always bothered me too and unfortunately i'm sure it has hurt the sales of this game. At least now the user scores are more prominent. "Overwhelmingly Positive" and "95%" from the consumers looks a lot better. Metacritic is pretty meaningless overall but especially for smaller independant games.

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 03:57:23 pm »
Yeah, I am glad at least the user reviews reflect its awesomeness, but I know I personally also factor metascore into my decisions about whether or not to purchase a given game...  I want GoIO to have the score it deserves, dammit!

Offline Sprayer

• Salutes: 14
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 05:22:55 pm »
So when I first read this thread I wondered "what is metascore?" and after googling it I'd say hit up the critics to make new reviews.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 05:25:55 pm »
I was looking at GoIO's metascore in the Steam store and it's pretty low (64/100) based on reviews from 2 years ago criticizing bugs that no longer exist.  I feel like this is pretty unfair and I was wondering if there's a way to get new reviews and bump up the score a bit.  Are we doomed to have a low score or do critics ever do re-reviews?
It's why Metacritic is horrible, especially for games that update over time, or are first made available in beta states. You can't ever change your score if you're a publication.

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 08:48:10 pm »
I mean, it's why game reviews in general are falling a bit behind the times.

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 11:56:40 pm »
I know very little about games journalism and reviews, but from what I've read in the past, Metacritic very rarely update their scores, which is totally unfair. Especially when GoI was reviewed so long ago. Hell, I almost didn't buy the game based on that score (and that would have been a travesty). If there's anyway for the devs or somebody to appeal the score, they should, because it isn't right at all. 

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 04:44:05 am »
I mean, it's why game reviews in general are falling a bit behind the times.

Reviews are still important. Saves time and money vs investing in bad games. But with gaming transitioned from a more set in stone console model from over a decade ago to one filled with DLC and updates, multiplayer based games don't really have a static rating. They fall into the same area as MMOs which can have a rating that changes constantly.

For these games and GOIO, fan based reviews are better. One thing I like about the App store from Apple is it allows reviews based on revision. So you can see how a game or app has changed over time. Ideally this is what MMOs and games like GOIO need.

If someone doesn't mention the idea of repackaging GOIO for the COOP release, plz do. It is something Muse should consider. Course, there is always the chance it'll score worse on the re-release, but I doubt it with what Muse has done so far. As long as they don't pull a Coffee Stain fumble and piss off everyone then refuse to fix it, I doubt it would happen. I'm still ticked at Coffee Stain after all this time for what they did with Sanctum 2. Went from being my fav Indie dev to a studio I'll probably never buy from again.

If not a repackage, then for sure get COOP mode scored separately. Even if the original is scored as is, a high scoring COOP mode would be a nice way to sell both. People buy the one, then get hooked and buy the 2nd. Or as EA likes to call it...Day 1 DLC ftw! In this case, classic GOIO being the day 1 DLC, heh.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 11:13:55 am »
more like "day negative 1000 dlc" lol

Offline SaintR.L.

• Salutes: 5
    • [☂]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 02:41:57 pm »
Mmmmm lets hope that the main game becomes great when co-op comes out and stays that way so the new scores will be an accurate representation. 64/100 though. Dang, who're all these haters? I remember the score being in the 70's when I first bought the game.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 12:34:33 pm »
Personally I never trust meta-critic... The only times they have good stuff to say is for mainstream over sexual B.S. or Electronic Arts made B.S....
If it's not mainstream (or meta) it gets a low score.

ALSO

Any reviewer who bases their review on bugs which can be fixed is a poor writer with no thought for the future.....

It would be nice to see them re-do the review but, why trust them when we (the players) can continue to spread the good word?