Author Topic: Welding Torch  (Read 8921 times)

Offline Nate Mairatime

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
Welding Torch
« on: November 03, 2014, 10:02:56 am »
I thought of this interesting idea for a new tool that can be used to repair a ship. This tool will be promptly named the Welding Torch and it is able to heal and rebuild better then both a rubber mallet and spanner, so about 375 Health per Hit, and 6 on rebuild power. It's repair rate is 17 sec but it has a cool down of 11 sec. Also when using this tool their is a 45% chance of the component catching fire (fire power of 5) and a 15% chance of it being damaged (175 DMG, Maybe higher? ???). This tool would be very risky but also rewarding, and if the loadout you had equipped so happened to have chem spray or a fire extinguisher you could prevent it from catching fire but still risk it getting damaged.

In my head this idea seems like it could work but feel free to add any suggestions or post as to what you think of this below

That's all

Nate Mairatime out, seya in the sky  :D

Also colored font FTW :P
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 10:04:48 am by Nate Mairatime »

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
Re: Welding Torch
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 10:12:18 am »
Cool! Engineers don't have a risk tool (like lochnagar and moonshine), and this or something similar would be a nice addition.

But faster rebuild is a little weird. It'd make it a better tool than spanner without set back (because rebuild doesn't have cool down and broken components don't catch fire). So rebuild power should be weaker than the spanner.

Otherwise it'd work. Cool!

Offline SirNotlag

• Salutes: 17
    • [Bj&H]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 10:55:30 am »
I don't know a risk tool just seems like it would be very frustrating. Armour is taking damage and you get to it in time to hit it only to have it catch fire instead of heal and break so then you die and the pilots shouting about how no one protects the armour.

I would much rather take a guaranteed heal as a engineer and would outright refuse to let my engineers take the tool when I am pilot.

Offline Replaceable

• Salutes: 84
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 11:12:56 am »
Repairing with fire?

Sign me up.

It's probably very imbalanced tho :S

Offline KitKatKitty

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 41
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 01:10:57 pm »
Cool! Engineers don't have a risk tool (like lochnagar and moonshine), and this or something similar would be a nice

Frankly I would never use this during competitive play BUT during non-competitive play it would sure be fun to play with. Captain with moonshine, engi with blow torch, gunner with loch....what could go wrong!

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 01:13:37 pm »
I like the idea of high risk or high-cost-but-high-reward tool for engineer. Firstly I don't really like the stats here (45% of 5 stack fire is riddiculous) and I think the better punishing-mechanic would be the increased cooldown.

So just make it last-resort hitting thingie with, say 1.5x repairing power of a mallet but 2 - 2.5x longer cooldown.

Also - engineer moonshine for engines (temporary buff that breaks them over time).

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 03:22:39 pm »
Also - engineer moonshine for engines (temporary buff that breaks them over time).

Engineer moonshine would just make a lot of trolls.

Although there are troll/drunk captains who moonshine all day, they are rare. I can see less immature players sabotaging the ship with engineer moonshine. It's already annoying having engineers buff all day.

Me too often: STOP BUFFING THE BALLOON! REBUILD THE ENGINES! OMG HULL! THE HULL! REPAIR THE HULL! STOP BUFFING BALLOON!

But yea, crunching the numbers, 5 stack fire is a bit ridiculous. What about added chance of fire? Kinda opposite to Chem Spray. Useful for experienced Engies who know when they won't get flamed. High-risk high-reward tool.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 04:30:45 pm »
I had an idea a while back for an Impact Wrench, and think that this would be a better tool for that idea. Using a Welding Torch with a very small cooldown (four hits per second) and low chance of causing a fire per 'hit' would be quite interesting. Something like 5% chance of making a fire stack. In 10 seconds of repair, that would be 40 chances of adding 1 stack of fire.

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 04:34:54 pm »
LeMoon, looked at your idea. It's great. It'd give new engineers (who's yet to discover what repair cool down is) some effectiveness.

But if I had to chose, I'd like a high risk tool better.

Hopefully muse will add both.

Offline Sprayer

• Salutes: 14
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 05:14:28 pm »
Cool! Engineers don't have a risk tool (like lochnagar and moonshine), and this or something similar would be a nice addition.

But faster rebuild is a little weird. It'd make it a better tool than spanner without set back (because rebuild doesn't have cool down and broken components don't catch fire). So rebuild power should be weaker than the spanner.

Otherwise it'd work. Cool!

The difference is, you can offset the risks of both moonshine and lochnager with skill, this tool would be purely luck based. No want.

Offline Caprontos

• Salutes: 17
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 09:12:37 pm »
I don't like the idea of adding tools someone could use to kill their own ship...

That said, I agree with Sprayer in that skill based risk is better then luck based risk, so maybe a better risky tool is like... The tool does an initial repair equal with like a pipe-wrench, but during the cool-down if you hit it at specific time(s) it will further repair the part... but if not the cool down is extended or something..

So if your good at timing the repairs, the tool repairs more then a mallet can but if your not good its worse then a pipe wrench..

Or like it can buff or debuff a part if you do it well or fail.. Like a buffing pipe-wrench.. If you hit it at like 1/2 cool-down the part receives a buff that's shorter then a normal buff.. but if you miss one then it gives a debuff on the part that lasts the same amount of time..

So better players could buff parts while repairing, but they would be less effective since they can't just abandon the part..

There really isn't much I can think out side this type of mechanic.. that can be done with repairs - that isn't luck based.. Though I only thought about it a little bit... An I am aware these aren't the most balanced ideas as is.. Just mean to suggest the mechanic mainly..

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 10:26:27 am »
A tool that defeats your own ship is not a good idea. The only tools that really destroy oneself is Lochnagar but it doesnt go against the ship directly, while pilot tools are about meneuvering the ship you try to keep alive. So pilot tools being self destructive is not noted because of how you can self destruct just being on the helm.

In this case, its a coold idea but not at all healthy for day to day gameplay in guns of icarus. Defenite something for veteran players and players who arent trolls.
Then again, simply being afk is troll enough.

So yeah, this tool is good but it being ironic to the engineer doesnt seem to fit its challenge.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 07:17:18 pm »
I will never take a pipe-wrench again.