Author Topic: The Blind Captain  (Read 8011 times)

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
The Blind Captain
« on: October 30, 2014, 12:37:07 pm »
Not sure where to put this, so here it goes.

As most of us know, MM is doing some pretty silly things when it comes to high skilled players. This is a story of the silliness we responded with.

After about 4 lobbies that our two crewed ships were placed into by matchmaking, each of which we (by far) outmatched the other team, we were placed in a lobby against a ship that contained a pilot and gunner with only one previous match, and a first game engi. Exasperated, I burst out "All right, that is it. I should play blindfolded to make this at least somewhat fair.... You know what, I will. I am turning my screen off as soon as the match starts. Kitkat, you will navigate."

Someone who does not know me asked, "You are joking, right?"

"Richard does not joke when it comes to silly things." Kitkat

"I do not joke when it comes to galleons." -me

Another of my crew piped up "In that case, I will play with an inverted mouse."

"And I will take a Munker." said Lambert. This was perfect, since I was taking an all flak Galleon.

The match started against a Spire with good crew, and the new people on a blenderfish (I think) on Fjords.. My screen was turned off. My crew spent the next three minutes either trying to get me to walk off the ship, or guide me to the helm. I am still not sure which. Explosions started happening everywhere as my crew hollered out directions between bouts of laughter. We ended up dying because of the amount of time it took me to get to the helm the first time, so I spawned in and got there first before turning my screen off again. More explosions and laughter, but this time I was able to direct the ship somewhat by myself by listening to the sounds of enemy guns, actually using moonshine and claw.

In the end, the score was 1-5. One kill by our foes, 5 kills by our Munker/Flakalleon team with a blind pilot and inverted engi, and I think Lambert may have been piloting with his eyes closed at least part of the time.

After that match, I decided it was time to call it a night. Hard to top that for silliness.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 12:39:31 pm by Richard LeMoon »

Offline KitKatKitty

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 41
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
Re: The Blind Captain
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 12:49:49 pm »
Just to confirm this my screen shot from the match
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=333819187

**and I'm a forum noob so I don't know how to get just the image here...someone help me**
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 12:55:41 pm by KitKatKitty »

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 01:53:18 pm »
Just to confirm this my screen shot from the match
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=333819187

**and I'm a forum noob so I don't know how to get just the image here...someone help me**

You have to upload it somewhere else like imgur.com (or steam community like that one) and then link to it embed it with image tags like:

[img*]https://ww2.this-is-a-website.gov.de/this-is-an-image.svg[/img]

Edit:AARRGH it turns out there are no escape characters in BBCode (remove the star * from the above line)

P.S. Here is the picture you wanted to post
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 02:05:58 pm by GeoRmr »

Offline KitKatKitty

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 41
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 02:41:14 pm »
Thanks Geo you are amazing!

Offline Ayetach

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 05:52:04 pm »
I like to think there's always ways to topping one super silly setup. That said, you should try the same thing but with a full harpoon junker or pyra since you can atleast (blindly) ram ;)

Offline Teh Celery's

• Salutes: 6
    • [Hwut]
    • View Profile
    • WasteOfTime
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 08:53:50 pm »
That is the funniest thing I have ever thought about.

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 11:16:39 pm »
Holy mother of brie cheese you're amazing.  As a massive newb, this humbles me greatly.  Like, holy crap I'm never ever gonna be that good humbled.  I salute you sir.

Offline Chmielewski

• Salutes: 19
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 12:35:55 am »
Holy cow, that is the best thing I've read in a long time :D Thanks sir!

Offline Jedidiah V

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 12:07:44 am »
BAHAHAHA! They should call you "The Blind Admiral" for that stunt!

Have you ever heard of "The Iron Man Challenge"? It is a famous, industry-wide, and often unofficial, hard-mode players take up when the base game, even on highest difficulty settings, simply isn't enough. However, it is taken very seriously.

You and your faithful (or treacherous?) crew could very well have started a goofy cousin to that challenge: "The Blind Man Challenge".

Terms: Turn off your screen and go by sound alone. If you are in co-op (probable), trust their guidance, and don't hold back any laughter.

Engineers and Gunners with brain damage (represented by inverted mouse, twisted mouse sensitivity, etc.) is oh so delicious icing on the cake.