Author Topic: Hiding levels  (Read 37645 times)

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
Re: Hiding levels
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 09:25:46 pm »
(45): (45): (45): (45): (45): (45): (45): (45): (45): (45): (45): (45): (45): (45): (45): (45): (45): (45):
???

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2014, 09:37:18 pm »
Levels showing up in chat looks really silly.

Offline shaelyn

• Salutes: 73
    • [◉‿◉]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2014, 10:40:08 pm »
I don't like it.  whether it's a good change or a bad change, I don't know...but I don't like it at all.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2014, 03:00:15 pm »
Levels showing up in chat looks really silly.

It does. I think muse wants to give Vets some way of indicating they know what they are doing when they give advice to newbie crew mates, but attaching a level indicator to every message you send is kind of silly. I prefer to wait until we are in game and they can see my hat. The hat conveys authority and power, kneel before the hat.

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2014, 03:06:43 pm »
so if I prefer talking rather than typing nobody gets to see my level?  why not take the system a step further and have your number pop up next to your name when you're using voice chat too?

Or just... show levels again, since this seems to serve absolutely no purpose?

Offline Searaphim

• Salutes: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2014, 07:56:55 pm »
This is horrible, I only get to notice at how crazy unbalanced matches (lvl 40s vs lvl 1s for instance).

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2014, 08:48:57 pm »
This almost feels like a..."well they didn't like MM so lets play with this and see if that works."

I see no point in hiding it, just as I see no point in them dumbing down stats. Removing death stats because some people are afraid to see how much they suck? Maybe? I guess that is why its gone. Now hiding levels so we can't go around waving it at others? Well, newsflash, this isn't 6yr old soccer where everyone gets a prize for just standing around picking their noses! Nor is this a game where levels mean much, especially not now where it is all experience based. Eventually everyone is going to be 45 and then it really isn't going to matter. Which is how MMOs work. Eventually the majority of your population hits endgame. The time when seeing max level players and cowering in fear doesn't last long.

Offline DonTroopa

• Salutes: 2
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2014, 03:21:54 am »
1st: I assume they were hiding our levels to encourage the pilots to take ships based on what they want to do not based on your enemy's level. If you say "ah, how cute there is a lvl 1 enemy crew. let's take a harpoon kidding ship". If you feel like you're able to handle the ship you'll bring to the fight no matter which level the enemies are, the better is the match going to be for the individuum itself.

Someone said the levels do not indicate the skill of a player thus we should not be concerned about wether we see the levels or not. To my harpoon example; A lvl 1 enemy ship still can be better than you (saying you fly a PUG) so you need to be confident flying your kind of ship independent of the enemy's level.
To say if one is good or not we first have to fly against him!

2nd: the levels shown in the chat looks silly, just silly.

Offline Andika

• Salutes: 114
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2014, 05:53:52 am »
Showing levels wasn't just a way of letting more experienced players recognize player competence, but it was also a way to help new players judge the level of their enemies so that they could decide whether they wanted to go against them or not. I used to tell new players to watch out for player levels and choose matches based on that. As a level one captain you might want to reconsider going against two level 30 ones and you might want to find another lobby with people around your level. (Please do not tell me that levels show no relation to player experience or competence, in most cases it is quite easy to guess match outcomes based on just that single aspect.)

With level visibility partially gone, experienced players can still easily judge the situation (you can click on names or just check out ship loadouts, look at crew setups, familiar names, let's be honest, this is a small community, we know each other etc), but new players are at a disadvantage because they cannot even rely on level indicators anymore. Also, I am not quite convinced that one's hidden match rating is a valid indicator of one's actual in-game performance, so you can never be entirely sure that the people you were placed against by the matchmaker system will really be at your level and competence. Even if there was no human involvement in lobby setups, the glicko system could overlook certain aspects of the gameplay.

Just to give an example, I often like to join suicide sides for fun, eg ships that the captains have abandoned in ongoing matches or ships with three powder monkeys on it. Even if realize that I am on a losing side, I often stay through the match, especially if I had fun with some players on the ship. Because of that I have a lot of lost games, and I guess my rating is quite low (in fact I noticed that I keep getting placed by matchmaker into lobbies with level 10 people around hehehe). Yet, if I am placed into a good crew on a strong side, I can be as competent as many other players whose rating must be much higher than mine. The rating system will mark me as a weaker member, and will consider the match "balanced", but we will still most likely win the round. Wouldn't my actual player level be more accurate in this case?

Also, what is the point of hiding levels before a match starts, and revealing them during the match (tabbing) or after it? It feels like a bad surprise for low levels (BEFORE MATCH: "Hey guys, don't worry, we should be fine, it's gonna be fun" DURING MATCH: "Dang it, look at all those high levels on the other side!!")  :D

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2014, 09:37:12 am »
What Andika said.

I believe that levels are valid representation of experience. Experience matters in this game. Engineering improves when the engineer knows the time it takes to go from component to component. Gunning improves when the gunner knows what ammo to use on which gun on which situation. Piloting improves when the pilot knows the movement and the gun arcs of ships.

So, hiding level is just inconvenient right now.

Offline Nidh

• Salutes: 16
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2014, 01:28:45 pm »
It's funny to see how reliant people have become on little things that the beta-vets didn't want in the first place.
Levels? People said that they preferred their names to be recognized rather than a number.
Flags? People thought they made the ships look clunky and out of place.
Achievements? People complained about how they don't accurately represent experience.

I personally prefer that the levels don't show up in the lobbies. In fact, I'd prefer we didn't have a lot of things that make this game easier/give arbitrary information. Heck, I don't even like the fact you can see another ship's loadout.

I support the idea of less information being available and letting actions of the players define how good they are, not a number.

I also would prefer a hardcore mode with basically NO information handed out on a silver platter.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 01:30:49 pm by Nidh »

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2014, 02:19:03 pm »
I have every confidence that they will revert it to show levels again - the more stink we make the faster it will happen, and its made me pretty angry - so -
Let me leave a scent mark here.

Hiding the match making value and showing a level which correlates with experience/time played is not uncommon btw (e.g. Hawken and LoL do the same).

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2014, 02:23:49 pm »
I want my levels back.

Offline KitKatKitty

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 41
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2014, 02:38:03 pm »
***I wish we could vote up the replies we like...would make it much easier to see what people are backing on these forums***

I want my levels back.

^^ I agree

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2014, 02:44:45 pm »
It's funny to see how reliant people have become on little things that the beta-vets didn't want in the first place.
Levels? People said that they preferred their names to be recognized rather than a number.
Flags? People thought they made the ships look clunky and out of place.
Achievements? People complained about how they don't accurately represent experience.

I personally prefer that the levels don't show up in the lobbies. In fact, I'd prefer we didn't have a lot of things that make this game easier/give arbitrary information. Heck, I don't even like the fact you can see another ship's loadout.

I support the idea of less information being available and letting actions of the players define how good they are, not a number.

I also would prefer a hardcore mode with basically NO information handed out on a silver platter.

The point is that they were in the game in the first place - not having something is fine, taking something away - that's how you piss off a lot of people.