Author Topic: Hiding levels  (Read 37732 times)

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
Hiding levels
« on: October 27, 2014, 03:16:21 pm »
In the live version of GoI 1.3.8(445) player levels are now censored in lobbies. What is the communities opinion of this change?

Offline Lydia Litvyak

• Salutes: 40
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: Hiding levels
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 03:23:37 pm »
I don't really like it. It's nice to see what level of experience people have without having to click their names (in particular, if there is a new player I will go out of my way to guide them through the lobby and what loadout to take and everything and show them engineering tricks in-game), and also it is aesthetically pleasing to have a crew of all 45s in competitive matches.

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 03:31:04 pm »
As a person who frequently play as the pilot/commander, I'd like to know the capabilities of my crew.

Of course, the levels are not the best, direct representation of player skills, but it is a good estimate of their experience.

And also, if I see that my opponents are 1s and 3s, I can safely enjoy a cheese-build (Harpoon Pyramidion, Munker, Flame Spire, etc). When I don't know my opponent's experience, I won't be at ease cheesing.

Of course, I can click on every new name in the lobby, but that's inconvenient.

I'm assuming this is a move to make the community more novice-friendly. However the community isn't biased against new players, but at new players who refuses to communicate. (I know, because I'm quite new to the game myself. You guys are awesome, btw).

So, I don't see what hiding levels are good for.

Thank you for reading,  :)

Indreams

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 03:52:33 pm »
You should still be able to see the levels of players on your ship.

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 03:54:40 pm »
sorry, I didn't get to actually test the new patch,  ::)

But yea, I'd still like to see my enemy's level, and the level of my allied ship.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 05:26:56 pm »
I miss the time before levels where people feared you based on what you did to them (and what ever lies I managed to spread about Zill's superhuman flying ability). I think the hiding of levels is a cosmetic fix to inherent flaws in the match making system. Still I would prefer people not make assumptions about how good I am until they actually see how good I am.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 05:30:57 pm by HamsterIV »

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 05:58:50 pm »
Hiding levels does nothing except making us make this dozen clicks more to check on the levels. Riddiculous, unwanted, take it back ASAP.

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 07:06:31 pm »
I miss the time before levels where people feared you based on what you did to them (and what ever lies I managed to spread about Zill's superhuman flying ability). I think the hiding of levels is a cosmetic fix to inherent flaws in the match making system. Still I would prefer people not make assumptions about how good I am until they actually see how good I am.

I remember those days, when I first ran into Spaceman back during the beta I had no idea who he was, when I later ran into him a while later I feared, I feared hard.

That aside however I have to agree, I like to see who I'll be flying beside and who I'll be flying against.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 08:54:21 pm »
Someone said my name?

My biggest thing is that they worked so hard to create this whole new leveling system, only to hide it (ish).

I can understand the viewpoint that new players were mistakenly using them as a means to show balance (glicko2 has nothing to do with our levels), but that just needs communicating in some fashion.

Offline GeoRmr

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 08:57:31 pm »
Someone said my name?

My biggest thing is that they worked so hard to create this whole new leveling system, only to hide it (ish).

I can understand the viewpoint that new players were mistakenly using them as a means to show balance (glicko2 has nothing to do with our levels), but that just needs communicating in some fashion.

Thing is, there is literally a disclaimer in text in the bottom left corner of every lobby now telling people that matchmaking isn't derived from levels. So why they need to go and hide them, I don't know. Its not like we can't just - click on each others names to see them. Or read anything in text chat... Nonsensical design imho.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 08:59:26 pm by GeoRmr »

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 09:02:19 pm »
Idk then. I don't think its a change that will stick around forever, unless they go full tilt and remove every "cheat" to peer at people's levels.

Anyone remember when they removed global chat? Yea that didn't last very long.

Offline GeoRmr

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 09:10:02 pm »
I have every confidence that they will revert it to show levels again - the more stink we make the faster it will happen, and its made me pretty angry - so -

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 09:13:34 pm »
There's a certain point where you go from "stern feedback" to "that guy who also thinks Muse is spending our kickstarter money on hats for their pets." And I'm not saying you're the latter. Just a poor imagining, if you will.

One is taken seriously, the other is borderline ignored. Im sure they are getting plenty of feedback from all facets.

Offline GeoRmr

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 09:15:24 pm »
Good job I didn't back the kickstarter

Shit - I guess i would be pretty angry about that also.

Don't worry, I do know my personal feedback is directly ignored by muse - if past experience is anything to go by ^^
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 09:25:18 pm by GeoRmr »

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 09:24:18 pm »
(45): (45): (45): (45): (45): (45): (45): (45): (45): (45): (45): (45): (45): (45): (45): (45): (45): (45):