Author Topic: Secondary Fire Effects  (Read 8991 times)

Offline Milevan Faent

• Salutes: 15
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Secondary Fire Effects
« on: October 24, 2014, 04:55:16 pm »
So Eric said he’d need to think up Secondary effects for more than just the Harpoon if I wanted to get the Harpoon the way I wanted it. So, here’s my suggestion for Secondary Fire effects for the guns. Any with Zoom are ones I have no ideas for. Feel free to make suggestions. I WILL be emailing this thread to Muse, so hopefully we'll get a good dialog going with them too.

Artemis: normal missile breaks up into mini-missiles that spiral out in a spreading pattern, each dealing 1/4th damage. Can be used at any point after firing a normal shot.

Light Flak: Dual-Shot, firing 2 shots at once, but with twice the delay between shots.

Gatling: Zoom

Flamethrower: Zoom

Carronade: Zoom

Harpoon: Primary changed to attach rope, secondary to pull while held

Flare: Zoom

Mercury: Zoom (this is actually one I think should STAY zoom)

Mortar: Zoom

Banshee: Fire all rockets at once from all tubes (or all remaining rockets). Rockets spread out.

Mine Launcher: Primary fires mines, secondary deploys them. Minimum time before they can be deployed remains. Perhaps longer delay increases damage?

Hades: Zoom

Heavy Flak: Zoom

Hwacha: slower, but less spread, and not auto-fire (kind of just a random idea, so I'm well open to a better idea)

Heavy Carronade: Zoom

Lumberjack: Zoom
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 05:07:08 pm by Milevan Faent »

Offline SirNotlag

• Salutes: 17
    • [Bj&H]
    • View Profile
Re: Secondary Fire Effects
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 10:34:16 pm »
First off I would personally like to keep the zoom for all weapons so it is easier to hit with them, and I don't think the mines should be able to do increased damage simply controlling when they deploy greatly increases their effectiveness.

With that said here are my ideas.

flare: secondary is a fire work, explodes instead of long burn, not good for illumination but can set multiple components on an enemy ship on fire. Would have to reduce stacks so the primary fire still adds like 10 stacks but the secondary only adds 3 because it lights multiple components.

Carronade and heavy carronade:  fires a smoke bomb to obscure vision and break spots.

Hwacha: empties out one dragon head in a single quick burst but at 1 quarter of original max range turning it into a 2 shot per clip, that way you dont have to deal with camera jitter but its only good up close. 

Banshee: similar to yours but I think it should just fire them in rapid succession at a greatly reduced accuracy instead of all at once, maybe turning it into an automatic, or just having it fire the rest of the clip whether you want it to or not.

Lumberjack: activate the shot to send shrapnel directly downwards so if the bullet is going to high you might be able to time it right to still get the balloon.

Offline Sprayer

• Salutes: 14
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 11:18:54 pm »
[...]
Mine Launcher: Primary fires mines, secondary deploys them. Minimum time before they can be deployed remains. Perhaps longer delay increases damage?
[...]
What if I like the minelauncher automatically deploying and dont want to think about that timing in addition to calculating where to shoot the next mine? There already is enough click spamfest in this game, don't add to guns plox.

Flamethrower: Secondary shoots the fuel, it has a higher lifetime and drop and sticks to enemy ships for a fixed time. Setting fire to any component hit by the fuel will set fire to all soaked components or the armor if the component is destroyed and deal the normal flamethrower damage all at once.

Artemis: should keep zoom

Hades: zoom through the visor so it doesn't annoy anymore

Heavy Flak: Alternate shot that has a higher arming time, proximity trigger and does shatter AoE damage.

Offline Milevan Faent

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 12:35:46 am »
Like I said with in the original post, these are just rough ideas that I wrote up, many of the ideas made when I wrote them. I had a few of the ideas before, but not as many as ended up in the post in the end.

It's understandable that not all of these ideas appeal to everyone, but the point is to come up with enough ideas that we can maybe see some of them tested in Dev App, and determine what works, and what doesn't.

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 01:10:07 am »
secondary weapon fire modes and zoom do not necessarily exclude each other. A lot of shooters have got both. I for one could certainly find another key to bind for such a feature.

Offline Milevan Faent

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 01:48:26 am »
secondary weapon fire modes and zoom do not necessarily exclude each other. A lot of shooters have got both. I for one could certainly find another key to bind for such a feature.

If zoom was left in and bound to another button, then that's perfectly fine with me. Right now, zoom is Secondary Fire though.

Offline FredTheFifth

• Salutes: 9
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 12:17:29 pm »
I dont like this idea of adding secondary fire to guns, imo its giving some guns an unnecessary buff (with the exception of the harpoon) heavy carronade especially seeing as how its already a slightly op weapon, can you imagine if it had a zoom?

Offline Sprayer

• Salutes: 14
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 01:20:12 pm »
This doesn't mean all the guns would get zoom, those which don't have zoom now wouldn't have zoom later either...

Offline Replaceable

• Salutes: 84
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 05:58:28 pm »
Dat mine launcher better not get touched... :p

Offline SirNotlag

• Salutes: 17
    • [Bj&H]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 09:12:31 pm »
some more ideas:

Mortar: Chaff shot, no longer deals damage and explodes earlier but creates a temporary cloud of hot metal that will detonate enemy explosive shots that try to pass through it allowing it to be used defensively.

Heavy flak: solid shot, not longer explodes so it has reduced damage but applies impact to its shots.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 09:18:35 pm by SirNotlag »

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 09:33:15 pm »
Actually I would be so stoked for a gun that's like the force a nature from tf2, one that applies impact damage to both wielder and target.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 09:36:15 pm by Omniraptor »