Author Topic: Government in the GOIO  (Read 40951 times)

Offline RedRoach

• Salutes: 23
    • View Profile
Re: Government in the GOIO
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2014, 04:39:32 pm »
In fact, what is the difference between Arashi and Anglea? They are both raiders and pirates. Barbarians and Hill People refusing proper civilization for freedom. What is different between Arashi and Anglea? Do they have conflicts?

Paraphrasing question:

Quote from: Indreams
Is Anglea and Arashi the same?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

My in-game and role-play character would so much disagree with this, and since I created them both, I also disagree, but not to the exaggerated extent of my above role-play statement.

I feel that Arashi is a more "In the moment" civilization. Keyword is "In the moment". The world is being run with raiding and being a merchant as the powers of the time. Naturally, the Arashi Desert's harsh conditions and low economic power (I'd think) makes it a "Are you kidding?" scenario for all merchants. So, this leaves the Arashi with a single way of life: Death. Raiding is their specialty, and that is all they will do because that is all they CAN do.

Anglea, however, is barbaric because ice vikings. Everyone hears ships and someone has to go "Pirates?" Arashi fill in the gap of "Raiders", so here we have pirates. Angleans look backward and move forward, trying to get machinery of the past to secure their future. However, as luck would have it, trying to trade with other nations is a bit of a hassle when you live on a mountain. Although barbaric, they seek to unlock the minds of those pre-war, to become more powerful and to be able to advance forward. With an Anglean, he will take as he pleases, as he feels he will be able to do better than you with whatever you have.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 04:42:01 pm by RedRoach »

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2014, 05:08:44 pm »
Hmm..

As someone who closely relates himself to the Yesha Empire (I haven't chosen a side or made a proper rp character yet), I can probably speak for the Empire when I say:

To the Yeshans, Angleans and Arashi are probably seen as the same. Angleans are barbarians to the north and Arashi are barbarians to the south. An interesting thought.

Regardless, I get what you mean. Anglea and Arashi are distinct factions. Still, they have much in common. They both scavenge the ruins of the old world. They both pirate and raid other factions. In fact, if Yesha wasn't in-between them, they'd be like the best buddies.

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2014, 07:26:47 pm »
In fact, if Yesha wasn't in-between them, they'd be like the best buddies.

Except for the fact that the Arashi hate everyone and everything.

Offline Tyre

• Salutes: 1
    • [Snug]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2014, 08:16:34 pm »
I recall a Muse mentioning a relationship between the Angleans and Arashi. It was something about how since the Angleans have the technological know-how and the Arashi have the raw materials, they're trade "buddies".

Also, I think it's safe to say that the Yeshans think everyone outside of their influence are barbarians.  :P

Also also, I'd recommend looking over the old map. Even though Muse has said that it's no longer the "official" map, I think it gives a good idea on the direction they were going with the factions, who lives in them, and what they're capable of. It's actually because of it that I doubt the Arashi are simply a bunch of small city-based tribes, but a group of small nations who kept their old-world identity (Which would give off a tribal feeling).

Offline BdrLineAzn

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 103
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2014, 10:05:36 pm »
In fact, if Yesha wasn't in-between them, they'd be like the best buddies.

Except for the fact that the Arashi hate everyone and everything.

The League mainly place their hate at the Guild, they have been at it since maybe the Age of Dust or beyond. Even if it's not a full scale war, attacks between them are constant.

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2014, 11:11:13 pm »
I was under the distinct impression that the Arashi didn't like any outsiders!  Has this changed?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 11:14:24 pm by ShadedExalt »

Offline Gryphos

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2014, 04:07:53 pm »
From what Muse has stated, the Anglean Republic is actually not that similar to vikings. They're linguistically similar, with scandinavian sounding city names, etc. And they've been described by Muse as having a viking style town-hall democracy (whatever that means exactly), and of course they raid a lot, but that's where the similarities end. They most certainly aren't barbarians, and they don't live in tribes like the Arashi – in fact they're probably one of the more 'civilised' nations (although it's been stated that they do keep a lot of slaves). They're raiding of everyone else is probably due more to necessity than any kind of malevolence. They need resources to live and they want technology to advance themselves, and if others aren't willing to trade, they'll take what they want. Basically they're vikings in attitude, but not much else.

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2014, 04:53:25 pm »
Should we think that they are similar to mountain goblins from the middle-earth or like orcs in WoW?

They raid, keep slaves, are considered barbaric by other civs, and have a surprisingly complex civilization. Very much like goblins and orcs from other worlds.

Offline Gryphos

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2014, 12:46:44 pm »
They raid, keep slaves, are considered barbaric by other civs, and have a surprisingly complex civilization. Very much like goblins and orcs from other worlds.

Interesting thought. Although, that's assuming that other nations see them as barbaric, which I'm not sure is true. For example, Anglea has better technology than most other nations with the likely exception of Chaladon, and a structured democratic system of government. Unless other nations just have literally no idea how Anglea does things, which is unlikely, they would see it less as a horde of barbarians and more as a rival civilisation, one who happens to be fond of raiding.

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2014, 03:49:10 pm »
Well, Goblins make surprisingly efficient machines and tools.

I can definitely see Yesha considering them as Barbarians to the north. Arashi might respect them a bit. Baronies would consider them a rival civilization (the democracy is a dangerous idea for the feudal Fjords). I bet Chaladons don't really care for the Angleans. They would be bitter technological rivals.

Offline RedRoach

• Salutes: 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2014, 09:40:04 am »
I bet Chaladons don't really care for the Angleans. They would be bitter technological rivals.

I don't know if bitter technological rivals would be the proper term, as the Chaladonians insist on balancing what they "take" from the earth, and in turn would get super-ultra-pissed at the mere existence of a race of people who's day job literally is seeing what tech they can get from the frozen mountains.

Will say though that Anglea and Chaladon would probably  be some of the most technological factions, although maybe not the most balanced.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2014, 05:34:19 pm »
dayum hamster you're taking this into all the directions

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2015, 11:58:38 am »
Given how Chaladons are all about that balance, Chaladonians would have spies/diplomats in every faction.

Chaladons would be a "meddling" faction in war and peace to maintain their idea of balance.

Offline Dr Pantaleon

• Salutes: 17
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart profile
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2015, 03:50:49 pm »
I don't think the Chaladonians are meddling that much with other Nations. Diplomats yes, but I feel they are pretty isolationist.

Offline Alexor Huxley

• Salutes: 9
    • [ATR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2015, 09:11:56 pm »
Well, since this has been dug up!

With regard to the Chaladonians: I don't think they're as isolationist as one might think. They at least have enough fingers in the world's pie to send reinforcements to Hanat in a direct move to thwart the Anglean Republic. Which pretty much means they're enemies of the Republic for some reason or another.

I get this from the info card for the Anglean Raiders 3v3 map.