Author Topic: Food in this world  (Read 18793 times)

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
Re: Food in this world
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2015, 08:09:46 am »
New theory; Juggernaut was actually a whaling ship.

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2015, 10:46:06 am »
Well, I think Chaladon has farms, ranches and orchards. I'm pretty sure Yeshans have something like a golden field of grains.

I'm going to guess that fishing is still sort of possible in some places of the world.

Mecantile guild probably trades in food. Arashi would raid those ships for food.

Baronies probably have medieval style manorialism and farming.

Angleans... I wouldn't be surprised if they ate rocks of the mountains.

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2015, 10:55:50 am »

And the souls of the damned.

Seriously, though, I'd imagine they'd eat reindeer, or mountain goats, along with the food they get from raiding.

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2015, 11:14:51 am »

And the souls of the damned.

Seriously, though, I'd imagine they'd eat reindeer, or mountain goats, along with the food they get from raiding.

I'm thinking Yak butter Tea? Like the ones Tibetans drink?

Yak Butter is a good source of Protein. Tea is a good source of plant-based nutrients not plentiful in the Himalayas. I guess Angleans would drink something like this.

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2015, 12:17:00 pm »
You always think of Chaladonians when you think 'tea', but that makes a lot of sense.  I'd bet that they subsist off more meat, than anything.

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2015, 03:16:04 pm »
Chaladonians are probably fruit eaters and wine drinkers. Yeshans grain/starch eaters and beer/rice wine drinkers. Mercantiles fish eaters and moonshine drinkers. Baronies fish and cabbage eaters and ale drinkers. Angleans meat eaters and milk drinkers. Arashi rat eaters and no drinkers.

There's probably some stereotypes related to food in GOIO. Anglean milk drinkers... :D. I think I have a new propaganda.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2015, 09:18:37 pm »
Baronies have heavy furs in their outfits so they'd have both hunting and a clear flock tending lifestyle. I'd imagine some areas to be kinda like Scottish highlands.

Chaladon is kind of a paradise so it would be a major agricultural society. Also this helps them stand independent. Food is power. Agricultural societies only decline as a departure from agriculture happens. US used to be a major agriculture nation, much more than it is now, but we shifted to industry which is a lot easier than farm life. Trouble is you have to then import more food. That makes you dependent on foreign powers.

Yesha, its chinese. Rice, starch. There is rivers around so some fresh water fishing. They are a major expansionist power so they'd need the resources to support this. Expect their food to probably be the best in the world.

Anglea, yeah mostly fishing or hydroponics to supplement raiding. Cities are both exposed and under the ice. Given ancient technology, I could see them subsisting on some indoor farming.

Arashi, scavengers. Some crops but sandy soil so you can't get a variety. Likely most growing would be around oasis zones. In fact their largest town is centered around one. Rest would be pirating Guild or Yeshan vessels.

Guild...probably a lot of imports. If you look at the map, much of the surrounding areas look like former battlefields. However, cities would have sprang up around something so I'd guess they have clean water sources or at least some kind of water source for the city to be there. However, likely much of their food comes from Abermar next door. Huge valley/river system. Why it isn't under Guild control could be because of business dealings.

Aside from that, there are lots of food possibilities in the independent towns in the north. Theres an entire grassland area as well as multiple forests.

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2015, 01:01:59 pm »
Arashi, scavengers. Some crops but sandy soil so you can't get a variety. Likely most growing would be around oasis zones. In fact their largest town is centered around one. Rest would be pirating Guild or Yeshan vessels.

When people think Oasis towns, they think a hole in the ground and few little structures, but in fact, some Oasis towns are massive.

Many major centers in the silk road was based on Oasis's. For example, Gaochang is an ancient oasis town built in the inhospitable Taklamakan desert. These are some of what remains today.

Arashi cities would have many many wells to tap into that underground water (that is exposed in an oasis). I can see date tree orchards,  millets, or draught tolerant variety of barley. And when I think Arashi, I think goats. Herds of goats.