Author Topic: Poor Squid  (Read 25677 times)

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: Poor Squid
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2014, 11:49:00 am »
The squid is def a unique ship from the others. But it is missing something.

I am gonna go ahead and suggest this YETT AGAIN and people will again agree.

The squid is fast in every direction, except for going up and down. The only ship that goes faster than the squid vertically is the Mobula. But get this, the mobula was a new ship, meaning its concept was new. Also meaning that its traits and statistiscs are something you wouldnt welcome to the squid PRE mobula.

But now that we have something like the mobula. Giving the squid aprox the same ammount of Vertical power as the Mobula can really create a Speed-Tank ship.

When the squids engines go down, you still have the baloon. IF your baloon is down, you have your engines. If both are down you are pretty much dead. But in most cases its either one or the other. Giving the squid Mobula power may just put it back into an unkillable state (Unkillable with proper squid piloting)

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2014, 12:07:48 pm »
Phoenix claw. What good is a fast/maneuverable boat when even a pig like the pyra can keep pace with a circling opponent?

Until its fixed, yea, the squid's primary advantage is for naught. Not to say balloon "strength" wouldn't be fun, but id rather fix claw to get a good baseline.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2014, 12:31:31 pm »
Phoenix claw. What good is a fast/maneuverable boat when even a pig like the pyra can keep pace with a circling opponent?
What good is a pilot tool that increases turning speed, if it doesn't increase turning speed to the level where it actually matters? Otherwise one could just give up the second something is stops being in front of your pyra.

Until its fixed, yea, the squid's primary advantage is for naught. Not to say balloon "strength" wouldn't be fun, but id rather fix claw to get a good baseline.
Refer to this:
Phoenix claw on other ships doesn't really negate it's effectiveness either. As a squid pilot, one of your biggest strengths is having an easily accessible forward and rear facing gun. So instead of strafing around a ship, just pass under or over them and use the tail gun. If they try to repeat the process, do it again in reverse. Once a squid gets in close, it can be extremely hard to get them off of you. (Some ships have an easier time of course, like the junker)

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2014, 12:41:40 pm »
I never said to decrease its effectiveness.

There's plenty of good ideas out there on how to fix it. I'm ready to test them all. Claw lets you turn a pyra's turn speed (example) from x to y for no penalty. It was set to x for a reason, namely balance.

Thomas does have a point, but its not enough to simply make the squid worth taking. Every time you have to go over or under, you aren't shooting. One of the biggest fallouts of a squid is its lack of damage output unless it's totally ignored. Focus the allies of the squid, and you're left running around the map being generally useless.

Do i think claw will solve every issue with squid? No. But its the start that needs to happen.

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2014, 12:53:10 pm »
The more I fly the Squid the more I realize the ship is fine where it is. Pilots need to try out new builds and learn how to fly the ship a different way. The same thing happened with the Goldfish. Lots of us thought it was under powered and needed a buff only to fine that we just needed to fly the damn thing more and fine a use for it.

Offline obliviondoll

• Salutes: 26
    • [BSky]
    • View Profile
    • obliviondoll's blog (barely-maintained)
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2014, 05:30:39 pm »
The premise of the thread is that there's something "wrong" with the Squid performing best with short-ranged weapons.

In any game with classes or customisation where playable vehicles/characters can move at different speeds, the faster units are the best to equip short-range weapons on. I don't see why this would be a problem in the first place.