Author Topic: Problems with matchmaking  (Read 128451 times)

Offline KitKatKitty

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 41
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with matchmaking
« Reply #135 on: October 28, 2014, 11:11:27 pm »
Now in regards to the second pilot I don't even know how this is a thing...? Other's have suggested in the past that by blocking anyone that isn't in the captain position from using the pilot class this could be resolved. This is a step in the right direction, however I would add that the only positions available on a ship are the recommended load outs chosen by the captain of that particular ship. In addition to this I would also add that in lobby, a person cannot change to a second gunner without the first gunner acknowledging this change and being swapped to engineer as a result.

As much as I agree this may help these small problems and they are good ideas....Just want to add it takes away customization and fun....There has been many times in lobbies that all 4 players on all 4 ship have became pilots or gunners just for the fun of it and battled it out this way. Granted this isn't "serious" play and by far not the norm...however I would be sad to see this ability disappear because those are by far some of the funnest matches I have ever played and playing a game is all about fun with friends after all.

In regards to balance, I don't believe this can really be achieved as long as the "rematch" option is a feature. This is because it limits the player pool available, hence veterans are spread out over various matches often crushing less experienced players on "stacked" teams. I would also like to add there are numerous ways in which this community could be improved very easily. Such as creating an icon new players could display showing that they are willing to learn from Veterans willing to divulge information on the game. Team Fortress 2 allows players to receive a coach if they wish... But in a game that thrives on teamwork, there is little done to help new players develop so that they may achieve/see endgame... This could also explain why GoI player activity fluctuates so aggressively...

implementation or even acknowledgement, I'd wager the future of this game is surely threatened... Especially with Veteran players slowly being BURNT out :/

I actually like the idea of new players having a badge or icon indicating that they are willing (or not willing) to learn. This is a good ideal indeed.

Also agree, sadly, that the future of this game is surely threatened when it comes to Veteran Burn out.

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
« Reply #136 on: October 29, 2014, 11:05:29 am »
Matchmaking would, with work, work for the PS4 version of the game. However, it doesn't width well for the PC version, as it figured to balance out matches in the wrong way. We don't want balance in our matches, necessarily. We look for friends or good communications skills and microphone use, or at least crewmember responsiveness, which are things that cannot be really quantified. Things would be different if GLIKO took into account the people online on one's friendlist and their clanmembers, and had a higher chance of putting you with them or people with a similar amount of matches played.

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 29, 2014, 12:25:17 pm »
That would be the most reasonable solution, but this would be difficult to balance before putting into a game. Trust me, I'm a programmer.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 29, 2014, 07:16:07 pm »
Just tried MM again today. Joined as 'crew'. Got into a match in less than 20 seconds as an engineer....

.... in the pilot seat of an empty ship. Before I could say "Well done, matchmaking.... well done....", it filled my ship with pilots.

I don't even know what to say. I just tipped my hat to the lobby, left, and joined on a friend.

Offline GeoRmr

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #139 on: October 29, 2014, 07:21:23 pm »
Okay I take it back matchmaking works awesome.
So awesome that the 4v4 on Flayed Hills I just came out of was so balanced in skill that it lasted

AN HOUR AND 45 MINUTES

Fuck this, I don't want to play balanced games.

On another note an engineer on my ship who had played through the whole game lost connection in the last 5 seconds and his match completion % dropped - I found this to be amusing.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 07:23:25 pm by GeoRmr »

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 29, 2014, 07:23:57 pm »
No geo, you just don't want to play flayed hills.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 29, 2014, 07:32:16 pm »
I played a balanced match on Duel that lasted 40 minutes or more. It was only balanced because three pilots had no clue, and the forth pilot had a crew that had no clue.

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 29, 2014, 07:48:24 pm »
Hmmmmmmmmm. I'm sure I mentioned things alike few times, if not in this, then in the other thread...

BUT HEY, THE NUMBERS LOOK SO PRETTY

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 30, 2014, 02:20:55 am »
Okay I take it back matchmaking works awesome.
So awesome that the 4v4 on Flayed Hills I just came out of was so balanced in skill that it lasted

AN HOUR AND 45 MINUTES

Fuck this, I don't want to play balanced games.

No, you just don't want to play Crazy King. At least half people I know auto-leaves the lobby when Crazy King appears because this shit is just endless. The related thread with changes suggestions can be found here:
https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,4818.0.html

Yesterday we had over 900 people online and matchmaking kept on dropping me to novice lobbies. Literally, only levels 1 and sometimes 2. Luckily I found some custom game with Clan clan. As far as I know the Devs acknowledge our concern about matchmaking mixing veterans and noobs so we should just wait and see if they are going to do something about it.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 30, 2014, 04:43:23 am »
I played a balanced match on Duel that lasted 40 minutes or more. It was only balanced because three pilots had no clue, and the forth pilot had a crew that had no clue.

Till you play a sniper battle on duel that lasts 2hrs, you have no right to complain about long battles on Duel. Bunch of babies :P :D

Offline Niels Juel

• Salutes: 5
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 30, 2014, 10:10:08 am »
I still find the MM system flawed, I have since it came out, not been placed on a ship with a crew that A: were above lvl 10, b: collectively outleveled me...
as I have stated in the game chat (repeatedly!) some times you just want to play a game with people you dont have to babysit and/or teach basic game mechanics... and right now that means having to do custom matches! so please add more options to MM as in maybe play only with X lvl ranges or players need at least X number of matches under their belts!

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #146 on: October 30, 2014, 11:35:54 am »
I had a bit of an epiphany this morning. If match making considers my performance when assigning me to a crew, the way to get a on a good crew is to suck for a couple of matches. When I get paired with those level 1 mute crews I should just let them die as quickly as possible. I accept that the match making system is going to try and keep my win loss rate 1 to 1, so why should I put in the effort when the system has set me up to loose?

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 30, 2014, 12:12:11 pm »
Maybe if you leave all matches right before they end.

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 30, 2014, 01:14:19 pm »
Seriously...

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile