Author Topic: Problems with matchmaking  (Read 128485 times)

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Problems with matchmaking
« on: October 20, 2014, 02:41:03 pm »
Matchmaking fills ships with more than 1 gunner
I just wanted to play as a gunner and used the match making system to find a lobby. The matchmaking system put me into ships which already had a gunner 3 times in a row. That's bad because you've designed GoIO in a way that having more than one gunner is not a viable option on any ship with any loadout. Hence I'd appreciate if you'd try to fill ships with 1 captain, 1 gunner and 2 engineers by default (unless the captain has set recommended loadouts in which case the classes suggested there should be used).

Its not possible to change the class after  a match started
with the 3rd re-try, the system put me into a match which started immediately after I've joined the lobby. Unfortunatly I've been a second gunner yet again.
Before the patch it was possible to change ones class after the match started by hoping out of the game and rejoining manually via friendlist or by searching for the match in the lobby browser. I'm not sure whether that's a feature or a glitch, but regardless it has been a handy tool to swap the class right after the match start in a situation like this. Unfortunately I didn't have friends in the lobby I've been in. Hence I couldn't change  my class and we had to play with 2 gunners on a pyramideon against flamers. That didn't turn out well.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
Re: Problems with matchmaking
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 03:24:07 pm »
I'm surprised that Muse hasn't developed a UI for mid-game switching -  it could have certain restrictions such as one use per match and with a penalty timer similar to the AFK button. Everyone has just been using the rejoin via friends list trick for so long - no one has ever to my knowledge managed to abuse the system in-order to cheat - it should be in the game.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 04:07:38 pm »
<3 Wundsalz.

I'm trying to hold back and be very polite and understanding with all this but...this had been pointed out. Not just by me.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 12:34:16 am »
What Wundsalz said

Sadly my impression of new patch was:

+ new lobbies look kinda nice

- yeah but nothing else works
- no, no, seriously it doesn't
- really
- Muse wtf

But I want to believe it's just a "few days after new patch" syndrome. On 1.3.7 game was basically unplayable for day or two so I hope that with our support it's a matter of week to set it straight. I really miss the good ol' server list.

I'm surprised that Muse hasn't developed a UI for mid-game switching -  it could have certain restrictions such as one use per match and with a penalty timer similar to the AFK button. Everyone has just been using the rejoin via friends list trick for so long - no one has ever to my knowledge managed to abuse the system in-order to cheat - it should be in the game.
My suggested solution was to allow changes up to say 20-30 seconds in game so you can change when you picked wrong loadout without breaking the whole game. I strongly support this.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 02:51:00 am »
People cried bloody murder when scramble was brought about, and shockingly it wasn't the end of days.

I highly doubt your "Nothing else works assessment" is accurate, since you can, oh, still play the game...

Let's not dive off the deep end yet, shall we?

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 03:04:24 am »
A playable game is not necessarily a working or fun game.

Its not possible to change the class after  a match started

Have you tried to re-join via the "Recent"-tab under the "Social"-tab?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 03:08:13 am by Dementio »

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 05:15:11 am »
People cried bloody murder when scramble was brought about, and shockingly it wasn't the end of days.

I highly doubt your "Nothing else works assessment" is accurate, since you can, oh, still play the game...

People cried out with good reason. Scramble was originally going to be mandatory outside of private games. The outcry changed that and made it so it was optional. While it is popular mode to play in and most pugs seem to play it, there are still lots who like that option of not having scramble on.

Don't knock the folks who care enough to speak up Imagine, if folks around here didn't who knows what this game would be like. I gotta hand it to Muse, they at least play their game. But they don't play it as much as most folks around here which is where the problem comes in. Bringing many of us into the dev app to provide feedback before patches was a fantastic move. Matchmaking would have probably been launched much sooner had many of the dev app folks not raised concerns. Granted not all the concerns were resolved, as Wundsalz has noted, but as time went Muse really cleaned things up. Had matchmaking launched early, it would have been a nightmare.

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 09:25:56 am »

That's true, but it wasn't as refined as it is now either. It was an absolute mess and poorly designed in every way, to the point that we had to have competitive matches in the future dev app. It was only with immediate, unanimous community uproar was the whole thing fixed so quickly.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 11:25:57 am »
I'm just sayin', pretty much every patch people go absolutely bananas and then a week later people finally realize that oh, this is actually ok, if not good.

At some point the boy who cried wolf syndrome starts showing up.

And I'm not knocking people who care, Gilder, I'm knocking people who post about how this is it, the game is now dead, pack up your bags and leave (exaggeration on my part there a little bit of course) with every patch and change that's made.

Offline B'Elanna

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 82
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 12:35:35 pm »
i can't help out skrubs anymore.

i used to join ships with lvl 2s that had no idea how to handle things yet and tanked them a bit to give them time to look at the cool graphics while i rebuilt the hull, i actually liked that.

i also have a teacher mode unlocked which makes me able to join noivce lobbies and sit in spectator slots and answer questions in-between matches. like in lobbies.

it was good that novice lobbies took some time.
it gave them time to ask questions, understand the UI, change the loadout for the 3rd time and this time press CUSTOMISATION COMPLETE.

now i don't even know if novice lobbies exist?! even if i press novice lobby in the matchmaking thing it seems to be an INCLUSIVE not EXCLUSIVE search.

at least give me a "match lobbies" and "novice lobbies" counter in a corner or something.
i'm wasting my time.

I LOVE THE GRAPHICAL UPDATES!!!!!
everything else makes me want to just restart an account because i'll never fucking get out of competitive gameplay with my lvls. and i just want to tank skrubs. i play competitive on the weekends.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 01:42:24 pm »
I tanked for a few "scrubs"  last night. The match making system randomly put me in a lobby where the other team's levels were in the 20's and my team's levels were in the single digits. It must have thought my mere presence would even out the odds. I did not enjoy the experience since the captain did not listen to my loadout advice and we ended up in an hour tickle fight where the deciding factor was a side carronade on a goldfish. I would have ditched the game after the first 30 minutes but I did not want to add to my leave count.

There were less shut out wins last night, which I guess is a good thing. However I was forced to go full on training mode when I was in the mood to be a silent cog in a well run machine.

I still haven't seen the captain's loadout request. Either it bugged out or none of the captains I flew under had set the equipment requirements.

Offline Milevan Faent

• Salutes: 15
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 02:17:19 pm »
i can't help out skrubs anymore.

i used to join ships with lvl 2s that had no idea how to handle things yet and tanked them a bit to give them time to look at the cool graphics while i rebuilt the hull, i actually liked that.

i also have a teacher mode unlocked which makes me able to join noivce lobbies and sit in spectator slots and answer questions in-between matches. like in lobbies.

it was good that novice lobbies took some time.
it gave them time to ask questions, understand the UI, change the loadout for the 3rd time and this time press CUSTOMISATION COMPLETE.

now i don't even know if novice lobbies exist?! even if i press novice lobby in the matchmaking thing it seems to be an INCLUSIVE not EXCLUSIVE search.

at least give me a "match lobbies" and "novice lobbies" counter in a corner or something.
i'm wasting my time.

I LOVE THE GRAPHICAL UPDATES!!!!!
everything else makes me want to just restart an account because i'll never fucking get out of competitive gameplay with my lvls. and i just want to tank skrubs. i play competitive on the weekends.

Novice still exists. First 40 matches are all Novice.

Offline B'Elanna

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 82
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 03:51:45 pm »
oh i know it exists, but i don't know WHEN and if AT THIS SECOND. and i can't join them anymore as i used to.

Offline shaelyn

• Salutes: 73
    • [◉‿◉]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 06:27:39 pm »
B'Elanna, I actually brought up that concern to Muse yesterday (that was the larger reason I wanted to be a CA as well).  if there's not enough novices in the matchmaker to create a novice match, it will loosen the restriction for them to go into a novice match.
they're going to raise the novice cap, and that should mean more novices for MM to create a novice match for.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 06:52:32 pm by shaelyn »

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2014, 03:43:50 pm »
I don't get why there are novice matches to begin with. Matchmaking should take care of matching new players with new players anyway.