Author Topic: Problems with matchmaking  (Read 131101 times)

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with matchmaking
« Reply #150 on: October 30, 2014, 01:46:14 pm »
I played a balanced match on Duel that lasted 40 minutes or more. It was only balanced because three pilots had no clue, and the forth pilot had a crew that had no clue.

Till you play a sniper battle on duel that lasts 2hrs, you have no right to complain about long battles on Duel. Bunch of babies :P :D
Pfft, 2h sniper battle on a single map. I'd take that any day as a warm up for a sniper best of three scrim.

but yeah, I agree ck matches tend to last too long.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 01:48:17 pm by Wundsalz »

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
« Reply #151 on: October 30, 2014, 02:40:08 pm »
I was thinking about the tug-of-war we seem to be having between "balance" and flexibility.  This raises of the question of why matches become "stacked".  Is it because veterans wants to grind greenhorns into the ground?  Is it because all we want is to win, at whatever cost to the poor newbies?

Nope.

It's because we want to play with the people we like.  It's because playing with a communicative crew that has some idea what they are doing is what is fun to us.  Would we prefer to have opponents of a similar skill bracket that challenge us?  Of course, but with matchmaking it's much harder for us to set up a lobby of all higher-levels as we could with the lobby list where people would sort of come and go until matches balanced themselves.  Nobody "stacks" to destroy ships of 2 powder monkeys and 2 pilots.  We "stack" because we want to have fun.  Friend join and crew formation are our last resources to attempt to get a match together of more experienced players.  Please, please, please don't take these away from us.  We are capable of balancing ourselves provided that your matchmaking system doesn't repeatedly throw extra level 1 pilots into crew slots on our ships.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #152 on: October 30, 2014, 05:07:34 pm »
Pretty sure numbers show from before matchmaking that matches were not balanced on a regular basis. The "stacking" fun you're referring to may be fun for you, but was exceedingly frustrating for anyone on the other side.

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
« Reply #153 on: October 30, 2014, 05:17:09 pm »
Then we need to figure out how to get the skill deviation in matches lower, because it's not fun for ANYBODY when more experienced players are forced to spend every match training newer players, and the newer players are getting yelled at, and everyone is floundering about equally poorly so therefore the match is technically "balanced"....

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #154 on: October 30, 2014, 06:19:31 pm »
Pretty sure numbers show from before matchmaking that matches were not balanced on a regular basis. The "stacking" fun you're referring to may be fun for you, but was exceedingly frustrating for anyone on the other side.
I tend to have little pity for the other side when they are not communicating and making poor decisions in presence of good advice. This is not true of all new player, but it is true enough times that I don't really care anymore when I am wrong. I would love to stack some lobbies with green named vets, but my the amount of time I can spend playing the game each night is getting shorter, and I just can't wait around for a slot to open on one of your ships.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 30, 2014, 06:30:57 pm »
the amount of time I can spend playing the game each night is getting shorter, and I just can't wait around for a slot to open on one of your ships.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 30, 2014, 07:06:10 pm »
Well, with this sale it makes MM bearable. Just had 2-3hrs for our little casual practice of nothing but pub stomps. Virtually impossible to balance since theres soo many noobs on. The munker left satisfied today after feasting on the tears of broken dreams and shattered egos! :D

Offline NallyNally

• Salutes: 1
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 30, 2014, 07:13:26 pm »
Then we need to figure out how to get the skill deviation in matches lower, because it's not fun for ANYBODY when more experienced players are forced to spend every match training newer players, and the newer players are getting yelled at, and everyone is floundering about equally poorly so therefore the match is technically "balanced"....

That. So much. This game isn't CoD or League where you can try to save your score or fuck around if your team is full clueless. Luckily nothing is keeping us from stacking, so there's that, but the game has quickly become a game of hunt the monkeys. I don't think none of the veterans wants to be thrown into a new team and train them. Hell, I don't think even the CAs want to do that. And even if you try your best to be nice and patient, you'll usually be thanked with a STFU for your effort. So it's play the game the clueless way, stack against people who stand no chance, or don't play at all.

As CharlieDontSurf said on the Steam forums, pleeeeease consider throwing in the server browser with the matchmaking.

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 30, 2014, 07:15:49 pm »
My amount of time is getting shorter, yeah. But I'm willing MUCH less to stay...

Oh. I'm treated like this in, like 60% of MM matches. I mean, thanks in form of "STFU U FAGET".

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 30, 2014, 07:49:15 pm »
Aside from a few vocal spammers, I have found most of the new players (the ones that respond) to be polite. Sadly, they are also willing to accept my pity since most of the time they are on the other side.

Offline KitKatKitty

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 41
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 30, 2014, 11:41:43 pm »
I still find there are a lot of the "STFU" players and the players that do truly want to learn. I got thrown in a "balanced" lobby with all noobs, i suggested some changes to 1 new player then 4 more asked for help after asking what level I was because they obvious can't see it...and once they knew I was a 45 they all were very excepting of my suggestions and got very active into asking how things worked and what ammo was best and load outs were best....the problem TIMED LOBBY!!!! it started the match with me only being able to help a few and still have TONS of questions from others that wanted help but I couldn't help them because we can't just sit in lobby anymore (seriously think they should make timed lobbies an option, not a requirement) and then since it was stacked no one wanted a rematch so we were all sent back into crew formation and all those new players that actually wanted help didn't get it and wont till they stumble upon the next high level player willing to teach them. It's very aggravating to try and help the community you love yet have the game itself work against you in doing that.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 30, 2014, 11:50:25 pm »
+1 for removing timer from lobbies.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 31, 2014, 01:14:46 am »
I also think that timed lobbies are bad. If they're not going to remove them I'd be really happy to at least get 30-60 more seconds on the timer.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 31, 2014, 02:27:32 am »
I block listed probably about a dozen people today too. All for voice. Some yelling at the top of their voice or making horny possum calls. The rest, joining in, to out due the others...ahh sales...the friend of all block lists!

Whatever would we do without block lists?

« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 02:43:44 am by Gilder Unfettered »

Offline B'Elanna

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 82
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 31, 2014, 07:51:04 pm »
fuck it. no one cares about what we think.
we can never play conveniently with people again and we should get over it.
play competitive only or have play-dates with friends.
fuck this game. fuck fighting for it. just go play hawken. same fucking shit. some pew pew some teamwork and it's the same ovaries-busting work to organise a good lobby so why bother.
it's any game now and i know it's hard to accept.

but oh how wonderful the new players are so pleased.
after the sale it's back to 30-300 always.
last sale we had what? 1.5k? meant nothing. so this means nothing either. just to rain all over your enthusiasm over the numbers (of what? 700?) online.
breaking news. people buy cheap games! no shit.
the only thing good about this is that some goes to charity. but none of you cared.