Author Topic: Remove force starting timer  (Read 11586 times)

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Remove force starting timer
« on: October 20, 2014, 12:08:49 pm »
Played 2 games and I was already getting stressed by the timer.
Left the pilot spot to spectate, new pilot joins -> 30 seconds left.
Stacked lobby, 2 ships ready up, game starts even though 2 didn't want to.

What's good about the timer again?

Adding 15 seconds with "Add Time" does nothing.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
Re: Remove force starting timer
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 02:41:35 pm »
in custom games there is no timer =)

>custom game > open to queue > win
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 02:46:56 pm by GeoRmr »

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 05:06:15 pm »
Custom game doesn't really solve the issue.  As soon as you click "Recruit From Queue", it behaves like a normal matchmaking lobby, though.  So unless you have enough friends to fill a custom game, you'll have the same problem.

I don't see the point of the timer at all.  I really hate it.  My first game I was dropped in as a gunner on a mobula which didn't need a gunner, I couldn't understand the captain's microphone, and we were forced to start despite not being ready.  If we'd had just a few more seconds to be able to type instructions, we would have been okay.  Forcing a game to start with bad loadouts is not an improvement over waiting a bit longer in a lobby.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 07:48:59 pm »
I agree. The timer was a pretty bad idea because it removes control from the players on when a game starts. Sure it's a bit faster but I'd rather have good matches than prompt matches.

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 08:54:35 pm »
Nearly every match I've been in today, MM has dropped in a second or even a third gunner.  Forcing a match to start with three gunners on one ship is unacceptable.

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 12:29:43 am »
Nearly every match I've been in today, MM has dropped in a second or even a third gunner.  Forcing a match to start with [two or more] gunners on one ship is unacceptable.
fixed that for you.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 12:35:48 am »
I've only ran into the timer issue a couple times in a 5 hour session. Its not all terrible.

That said, i'd like to see the captain earning a chance to add time every time a person leaves or joins their ship. I think that's 30 seconds per, so you get a minute to get someone squared away. Doesn't sound like much, but the recommendations have been doing wonders for me.

Offline Dementio

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 02:54:43 am »
As far as I understand this timer adds no positive experience in any way. Instead the lobby experience is either the same as it was before the patch or it develops negatively for certain players, because some feel pressured by the timer or have a not optimal crew and the match starts regardless.
It was ok that the match started because more than 50% of the lobby was ready, but now it is just unpleasent.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 09:26:37 am »
It was ok that the match started because more than 50% of the lobby was ready, but now it is just unpleasent.

I disagree. Just because more than 50% was ready really meant nothing if one ship had issues getting set up, in pub games of course. There is a threshold of the game forcing its hand for the sake of time too quickly, and people just being petty and sitting on their hands because they can, because we controlled the timers. One could say if we all were more responsible with the old timers, Muse wouldn't of had to implement what they have.

There is a happy medium to be made. We just have to reach it.

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 09:27:33 am »
^^^^Agreed to all posts about the frustration

Offline Dementio

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 10:47:43 am »
I disagree. Just because more than 50% was ready really meant nothing if one ship had issues getting set up, in pub games of course.

Of course that is true too, but I rarely had issues when it came to asking my allies or even the enemy team to unready for a second, nor did I ever have trouble unreadying myself when my allies asked me to. That way the entire enemy team could show they are ready while the own team was not. And yes, impatient people will probably leave the lobby, but they always will.

So far the current lobby timer, which force starts your match no matter what, solves no issues that were there before, but instead creates new ones. The best it does is probably teaching, dare I say, spoiled competitive players that pug lobbies cannot always be as pleasent as the orginized competitive ones.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 11:04:41 am »
How about a compromise?

Old ready system with over 50%, but once a majority has readied up all ships get a button to add extra time c.90"?
One click per captain per countdown, if ships un-ready and the countdown restarts they get another click.

The amount of delay could even be scaled i.e. first click by captain A has a longer duration than second click by captain B. And/Or in 3v3 - 4v4 games an overwhelming majority reduces the amount of time from a click - if 7/8 ships are ready one click is worth less time than if 6/8 or 5/8 ships are ready.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 11:07:12 am »
I disagree. Just because more than 50% was ready really meant nothing if one ship had issues getting set up, in pub games of course.

Of course that is true too, but I rarely had issues when it came to asking my allies or even the enemy team to unready for a second, nor did I ever have trouble unreadying myself when my allies asked me to. That way the entire enemy team could show they are ready while the own team was not. And yes, impatient people will probably leave the lobby, but they always will.

So far the current lobby timer, which force starts your match no matter what, solves no issues that were there before, but instead creates new ones. The best it does is probably teaching, dare I say, spoiled competitive players that pug lobbies cannot always be as pleasent as the orginized competitive ones.

Well, it does solve the community issue of lobbies taking a day and age to start, if not ideally because of the instances where a game starts and you have two buff engies (happened to me, that was interesting).

I seriously doubt though that forced timers are going to go away. Captains abused the power they had (we are all guilty at some point) to hold a lobby up because someone had greased ammo and not heavy, or similar circumstances. It just murdered lobby start times. Sometimes it takes a bad game to make someone realize they are wrong (also had that last night).

Calling for forced timers to be removed, I believe, is wasted time. Trying to make them work better (add time, a new mechanic for when people shift in/out of the lobby) is the way forward. Like the fact when over 50%, but not 100% of the teams are ready, the timer goes to 30 seconds. For random games, that's not great. Maybe being ready should only work if 100% of people are in fact ready. Otherwise its just a visual to show impatient people that their ship is in fact ready to go.

Offline SirNotlag

• Salutes: 17
    • [Bj&H]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 12:57:35 pm »
I LOVE the timer! I hated Lobbies of Icarus and the timer gets ride of that, plus I myself have not had any problems getting my crews to co-operate thanks to the recommended load outs.

Offline Dementio

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 03:29:18 pm »
I think I didn't make myself clear enough. I meant the new timer that starts in the lobby even when nobody is ready. According to the game itself it already starts when 2 people are on each ship. If it changes to "at least 3 people on each ship" then I wouldn't complain too much, because then the lobby would actually be rather full when the timer starts, but currently the timer starts way too soon.

Starting a timer when people are actually readyed up is ok.

I will make a new thread with lobby timer suggestions, since this thread was supposed to go in another direction.