Author Topic: Transferring damage from balloon and other destroyed components to the hull.  (Read 16761 times)

Offline nhbearit

• Salutes: 27
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
True, hmm.. Well, the spire has plenty of small guns to support its heavy gun. So, I don't think changing how the modifier works would have too much of an impact on it. The goldfish is in a similar boat. It has light guns it can use if it feels it needs to.

It seems that only the right side of a galleon would really be effected. A simple fix for that would be to add a light gun slot to the right side. There's already one on the left, so I doubt that it would cause balance issues. I don't think that the heavy carronade should be able to strip armor as efficiently as it does.

I like the idea of changing the effectiveness of the modifiers. Unless muse decides to make a heavy weapon that is meant to specifically strip armor, then relying on light guns should be something that you just have to live with.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
That is to do with the dealer side, but on the recieving side. Like Watchmaker mentioned, the guns/baloon etc can proove to be extremely strong just being there.

Again with the junker, it would be very strong with this change.

And currently, there is no need to change it. The only modifiers i would change is how flachette, shatter shouldnt do that much damage against the armor/hull with the guns we have now.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Id be willing to look at the shatter over the flechette. I know heavy carro can one shot guns (which id like to retain if possible) but it might be doing overkill.

That said, I still think the modifiers are fine as is. A heavy carronade doesn't kill anything quickly save balloons.

Offline nhbearit

• Salutes: 27
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Posted by: Crafeksterty
« on: Today at 11:44:14 am »
...And currently, there is no need to change it.
Right, well, click this link:
https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,4697.0.html
This is the ship usage thread for The Hephaestus Challenge. To sum up all of Deltajugg's beautiful numbers, there were more pyramidions than every other ship combined. There's a balance issue there.

Currently, damage transfer between the balloon and hull is too powerful and easily abused. Balloon popping is a magnificent way to control an engagement, but with how damage transfer works now, it's just too powerful as a kill weapon. Adding a GIANT hitbox to any ship that has an exposed balloon AFTER that ship is already being controlled and probably can't shoot back is just.. Painful. It means that if there is a single balloon popper, I have to seriously consider bringing a pyramidion just to avoid being such an easy kill. If there's a Heavy carronade, or two light carronades, I'd be crazy if I didn't go with the pyramidion.

Damage transfer needs to be relooked at. I'm not saying remove it. Personally, I think redria's idea is quite interesting. But, there needs to be a change. Carronades themselves are pretty well balanced so I don't think making a change to how they work would be a good answer. Impact damage is also in a pretty good spot, being able to slam your opponent into a cliff, or the ground, is a pretty fun and well-balanced way to kill using a carronade. But, guns shooting a downed balloon is simply too effective under the current system.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Im sorry, but this mechanic is not even close to being a main reason why pyramidions are popular. Taking a pyra to counter carronades is one thing, but they have a lot more going for them then that, especially with phoenix claw being as spammable as it is.

Offline obliviondoll

• Salutes: 26
    • [BSky]
    • View Profile
    • obliviondoll's blog (barely-maintained)
What if you took the lowest damage modifier between balloon-armor or balloon-hull and applied that to the damage being done to the armor or hull?

So Carronade destroys the balloon. Normally a gatling shooting the balloon would have piercing modifier on armor and the damage would be dealt to the armor. The change would be that the gatling instead has a modifier as if it were shooting the balloon, but it still deals damage to the armor.

A Carronade hitting a dead balloon would have a modifier as if it were shooting the armor (since it deals less damage to armor) and deals the damage to the armor.

Basically you can still aim at the balloon, but it gives you the lowest possible damage modifier between the balloon and what you are actually damaging.

This could also be applied to other components?

I'm just going to suggest this option as an awesome one - although it might be hard to code, and a simple reduced damage transferrance might be more practical.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
You would unbalance the game for the sake of nerfing pyra?

edit: The change would make baloon popping less desired and pyras would actualy be stronger since the change applies to them also.

Im aware of baloon popping weapons do alot of damage to hull, but changing exactly how it works is not healthy.
Just, a change on numbers of the modifiers can help, but shouldnt go overboard.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 10:17:46 pm by Crafeksterty »