Author Topic: Heatsink: Good or Bad?  (Read 41110 times)

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Heatsink: Good or Bad?
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2015, 07:14:26 pm »
The problem with heatsink merc is the lower dps compared to charged. It does slightly less damage per clip and it takes  significantly longer to shoot a clip. Each shot however is enough to destroy any component except heavy guns so it can be used for disable purposes. The reduced velocity is limiting too.

Also, heatsink is good on the hwatcha but vastly inferior to burst. For close range heatsink is superior to regular ammo and should be used if you're near a flamethrower and without chem spray. Heatsink is a mandatory hwatcha gunner ammo.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2015, 06:10:26 pm »
I disagree about hwacha heatsink, you will have plenty of time to be flamed while the gun reloads and heatsink is useless. Chemspray is better. Also imo for hwachafish front buffed vanilla hwacha is superior to unbuffed burst hwacha, but that's debatable.

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2015, 06:37:13 pm »
It's true that heatsink hwatcha provides little to no fire protection fire due to the long reload and the fast clip release. Chem spray is essential, but I've seen heatsink be invaluable. The point is there is no third hwatcha ammo. Heavy for long burst for close. Heatsink is the second best hwatcha ammo for close range.

Buffed regular is best for dps vs armor/hull, burst is best for disables. Shooting burst at the front of a pyra can damage engines too.

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2015, 09:55:32 am »
If I'm placed on a quad hwacha galleon, I heatsink the unused side (usually the starboard side). That makes sure that it won't be disabled (usually by fire) when we need it. It's also a decent ammo on the hwacha (bigger salvo).

Offline Alistair Marlowe

• Salutes: 5
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2015, 04:09:45 pm »
If I'm gunning on a galleon and there are hwachas on the right side, I like to leave the rear starboard one loaded with heatsink in case the pilot misses something like a sneaky flamethrower squid or some other potentially disastrous fire-related scenario.  It's nice to know that you'll at least have one barrage to buy your ship some time to get back on its proverbial feet.

I did see mention of heatsink in squid guns, which I fully agree with.  When I pilot my squid (which admittedly is most of the time) I tend to issue my gunner heatsink for the nose gun, be it gatling or carronade.  There's no need for heatsink in the side gun because if an engineer is tanking the Highwind's hull without explicit orders to do so, I will throw them over the side.  And I won't land first.

Offline Sarabelle Marlowe

• Salutes: 25
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2015, 03:08:38 am »
Heh, I can vouch as far as Alistair's Squid policy. Thank goodness he painted the ship black; the stains would be awful.

As far as heatsink, often its a matter of ship and engi help as to if I take it. If I can trust the engineer with me then I don't take it. If they are still learning the ropes, or if its a big ship, or if I know they have fire on the other team I take it. More then once heatsink has saved my skin. When I am on the heavy flak, it reloads fast enough to put out fire stacks and helps me out if the enemy ship is closer then I like with the reduced arm time. And when the enemy is feeling cheeky and flies with a bunch of flame throwers, its nice to ensure you have something to shoot if the engi has a bit too much on their plates to chem spray.

All in all, I'd say its situational, but in my opinion, it's pretty handy.

Offline Gambrill

• Salutes: 26
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2015, 04:27:31 am »
What if heatsink reduced stacks over time. as in 1 stack every 5 secs, with the immunity also. Obviously im not giving the exact ammount of time, it would help engies and gunners alike and make it more viable.

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2015, 07:49:35 am »
What if heatsink reduced stacks over time. as in 1 stack every 5 secs, with the immunity also. Obviously im not giving the exact ammount of time, it would help engies and gunners alike and make it more viable.
I like how heatsink works right now, but...

this is a cool idea. What if heatsink simply reduced the chance of fire (by a good percentage), and just reduced stack over time? Shouldn't make much difference, but a neat little mechanic.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2015, 09:28:22 am »
I disagree about hwacha heatsink, you will have plenty of time to be flamed while the gun reloads and heatsink is useless.

Its a reasonable option to be preloaded into starboard hwacha of a meta-galleon if you're running a gunner. In situations where you have to tank and the other engineer goes to the hull you have no fire control on the lower deck, if the hwacha is disabled and you are being flamed it will overheat immediately before the gunner has a chance to empty the clip. Also, if you shoot a hwacha at them, their flamer will be destroyed so you won't have to worry about accumulating stacks during the reload.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2015, 01:42:25 pm »
However, the flamer can easily be rebuild during hwacha reload or be timed and rebuild after the second time the hwacha empties its clip. In my opinion though, the disable power of a heatsink hwacha very much outperformed by the disable power of a burst hwacha.

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2015, 02:34:14 pm »
However, the flamer can easily be rebuild during hwacha reload or be timed and rebuild after the second time the hwacha empties its clip. In my opinion though, the disable power of a heatsink hwacha very much outperformed by the disable power of a burst hwacha.

Still a valid reason to use heatsink.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2015, 04:28:08 pm »
I say the "valid" reason to use heatsink is made "invalid" the second the Hwacha reloads or has to actually destroy more than 1 component. And now imagine that engineer with Chem Spray.

I don't think highly of heatsink Hwacha.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2015, 04:44:29 pm »
component. And now imagine that engineer with Chem Spray.

but it's Jarmen loah

Offline Lieutenant Noir

• Salutes: 17
    • [❤™]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2015, 07:40:24 am »
You could load it into the hwatcha and wait for the enemy flamethrower to run out of juice.
Provided the hwatcha isn't disabled first, if you break their flamethrower after the flamer's clip is finished.
The enemy will have to rebuild the flamer and wait for it to reload.