Author Topic: Heatsink: Good or Bad?  (Read 41938 times)

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
Re: Heatsink: Good or Bad?
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2014, 10:49:54 am »
I wouldn't call a heat-sink carronade or heat-sink hwacha underwhelming by any stretch, the enemy flame squid is going to be completely disabled/half-dead in one clip and you're not stuck there as a gunner able to do nothing with the hwacha on 10 stacks because the other engineer has gone to the top deck to help double team the balloon (required in-order for any of your guns to possibly get arc) and can't maintain a chem cycle. if the gun was destroyed great, so what, you can safely rebuild it as a gunner without the risk of it inst-overheating because the heat-sink is already loaded. Heat-sink gives you permanent fire protection up to the point of engagement, and is imho extremely useful.

Most light guns can survive 3-4 reloads of heat-sink while being directly attacked by a flamer. So okay sure, the heavy-guns can't but then, they don't need to - if its lj/flak you're too close for the guns to be effective anyway - if its preloaded hwacha/heavy-carronade you can disable the flamer/whole-ship in one clip of your heat-sink'd gun.

"Engie can do the same job more effectively anyway" - Without heat-sink they can't leave a gun on a ship permanently immune from fire without running back to it to give it another coat of spray every 20 seconds. (Time they could spend doing more useful things)

The lack of protection while reloading is annoying, originally heat-sink did protect during the reload but that was at a time where if you mounted a gun that was loaded by someone else with an ammo you didn't have, it would automatically begin reloading itself - the 3 stack extinguish compromise imho is fine. Perhaps muse could adjust it to extinguish a larger number or all fire stacks and allow for overheated guns to be mounted and reloaded but not shot.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2014, 10:59:22 am »
Perhaps muse could adjust it to extinguish a larger number or all fire stacks and allow for overheated guns to be mounted and reloaded but not shot.

I'd be on board with that for days.

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2014, 04:23:33 pm »
Yeah heatsink would definitely be a much more viable option if the flame-retardant effects lasted through reload to next reload.

Perhaps muse could adjust it to extinguish a larger number or all fire stacks and allow for overheated guns to be mounted and reloaded but not shot.

I'd be on board with that for days.

And/or that.

Offline obliviondoll

• Salutes: 26
    • [BSky]
    • View Profile
    • obliviondoll's blog (barely-maintained)
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2014, 01:31:22 pm »
Last time I actually looked at the stats, heatsink ammo also had a turn speed buff.

Was useful to keep gats on target against a fast-moving Squid at close range. When fast-moving close range Squids are usually armed with Flamers, that's double the bonus.

Offline CitizenFry

• Salutes: 3
    • [☠]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2014, 01:03:55 pm »
I use it mostly for the numbers (+1 shot and reduced arming distance for Heavy Flak, yes please!) but it's also good as a flame sponge in guns that aren't getting used anyway (side guns on the pyramidion, rear guns on galleon or squid).

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2014, 10:22:32 pm »
Heatsink application:
Pyramidion side-guns, Goldfish side-guns, Galleon aft-gun, and Squid aft-gun.

These are the secondary guns. No one starts combat on these guns, and no one really pay attention to them until they need them. And many times, they are left out of chemcycles.

And when you need them, they mean the difference between life-and-death.

Keep these guns loaded with Heatsink. Keep them from catching fire, and they will often be alive when you need them. If these guns are flamethrowers, light carronades, or gatling, they will have the advantage of increased clip.

Heatsink on your guns, save your life.

This message is sponsored by Mercantile Guild's Heatsink Factory

Offline Battle Toads

• Salutes: 4
    • [kTen]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2014, 10:26:17 pm »
Well just reading the first post on this thread, if you are an engie heatsink is useless because you can just use chem spray to prevent fire stacks on guns. In terms of fire fighting it is often used by gunners using heavy guns to prevent major fire stacks, aswell as lowering arming time to make it easier to shoot close range shots

Offline sparklerfish

• [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2014, 10:28:53 pm »
Well just reading the first post on this thread, if you are an engie heatsink is useless because you can just use chem spray to prevent fire stacks on guns. In terms of fire fighting it is often used by gunners using heavy guns to prevent major fire stacks, aswell as lowering arming time to make it easier to shoot close range shots

Heatsink is definitely not useless to engineers!  It decreases projectile speed, which is helpful for weapons with arming time, and gives you hella shots because it increases your clip more than any other ammo type.

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2014, 10:35:03 pm »
And as recommended by Mercantile Guild's Heatsink Factory, I found that heatsinked side/aft-guns become one less problem for Engineers who can than focus on Hull and Engines.

And I don't know how this is, but I find that Heatsinked guns magically stay alive better than their non-heatsinked counterparts.

Offline Battle Toads

• [kTen]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2014, 10:35:32 pm »

Heatsink is definitely not useless to engineers!  It decreases projectile speed, which is helpful for weapons with arming time, and gives you hella shots because it increases your clip more than any other ammo type.

Those effects of heatsink though are secondary to its main job as a "firefighter" which can be replaced by a chem spray because if the gun is close enough for you to use regularly in a match, then its close enough to chem spray. Also as engie I never see people bring only heatsink as their one ammo, I see it with gunners because gunners have no extinguishes and it helps with shooting close range on weapons with arming time, but it doesn't seem to do something that greased or incid can't in terms of secondary effects

Offline sparklerfish

• [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2014, 10:37:16 pm »
It really depends on the circumstance.  Heatsink is my preferred choice for light flak for closer range, for instance, even as an engineer.  A clip of buffed heatsink flak is a pretty good way to kill nearly anything.

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2014, 10:44:01 pm »
Whenever I engineer on a Pyramidion, I bring a Heatsink for the port-side flamethrower and the fourth-slot utility gun. That makes my job as an engi soooooo much easier. (Though I'm sure better engineers don't need Heatsink).

Heatsink is my preferred choice for light flak for closer range

I'm with sparklerfish with the light flak. More ammo and faster arming. Heatsink provides benefits other than firefighting. I find that heatsink works well with light flak, light carronade, gatling, and flamethrower.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2014, 10:44:47 pm »
It really depends on the circumstance.  Heatsink is my preferred choice for light flak for closer range, for instance, even as an engineer.  A clip of buffed heatsink flak is a pretty good way to kill nearly anything.

It has better damage per clip than greased + the flak fires fast enough already, go one-clip some galleons!
I'd like to add Heat-sink mercury, 3 shots - vastly superior disable potential.
Flare-gun, 3 flares - all the better to see you with + 30 stacks biach.

Offline Battle Toads

• [kTen]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2014, 03:30:02 pm »

Flare-gun, 3 flares - all the better to see you with + 30 stacks biach.

All the better to wait 20 seconds for that damn flare gun to reload

Seriously why does it have such a long reload, it does 10 stacks of fire but that is easily countered by chem or extinguisher as well as the fact that flare is very inaccurate meaning that its DPS is so low it is ridiculous that the gun has such a long reload
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 03:31:55 pm by Battle Toads »

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2014, 03:47:20 pm »
Its meant as a utility tool far more than an offensive tool. Long reload makes sense.

Besides I'd imagine a fast shooting flare gun could crash quite a few computers.