Author Topic: Competitive dev app events.  (Read 8205 times)

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Competitive dev app events.
« on: October 04, 2014, 05:47:42 am »
It is my understanding muse currently lacks feedback for dev app changes. In order to change this we could establish occasional competitive dev app events (once every month or so or even on muses request) the format and execution could be similar to the SCS.
This would not only encourage experienced players to get into possible game-balance changes who could then provide the devs with solid feedback, but there would also be video material which could be analysed.

What are your thoughts on this? And more importantly what does muse think about this, as such an event would be an open violation of the agreement every user signs before starting the dev app?

Offline Mezhu

• Salutes: 33
    • [Sgar]
    • View Profile
Re: Competitive dev app events.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 08:34:24 am »
This would be the best way to gather actual feedback on balance changes. Testing stuff on paper, by individuals of different experience levels, only provides a very limited perspective of how each change affects gameplay and leads to varying personal conclusions (and more often than not, arguing).

I don't know however if an organized event, targeted for competitively involved players, would be doable. After all, there hardly ever are enough people answering muse's calls for broader, more important dev-app tests. Anyway, I think it's a good idea and it's worth a shot. Better to test stuff early and discuss changes with each other rather than wait for them to be released and yell at muse afterwards.

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 09:12:59 am »
Idea is interesting but instead of a whole tourney id recommend cutting it to individual scrim like events which are streamed.
Something like the streamed scrimmage event the ducks organized last year. Dunno its name anymore ...
Something in those means. Its not to time consuming like a whole bo3 single elimination tourney. Its not to competetive to discourage people from actually testing the new stuff.

Best would be whole teams singing in but i could also imagine to let subs or single ships sign in and compete.
But most weekends are already filled with events. So something like the R&D invitiational where you sign up for a specific region and then get a scrim during the evening on weekdays.

Offline shaelyn

• Salutes: 73
    • [◉‿◉]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 11:00:30 am »
at first glance, my brain being muddled as it is after just waking up, I like the idea.

...if you're trying to ask Muse though, you may want to email them - just shoot them a link to the thread.  they don't pay attention to this board as much as their emails.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 12:17:16 pm »
We might not get entire teams to sign up though, since not entire teams are necessarily Dev App testers.
I think it's doable though and will probably lead to more promising results than solo testing.

Offline Alistair MacBain

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 01:34:41 pm »
Dev App keys wont be the issue imo.
Muse always gave out keys for the devapp if they were needed or wanted.

Offline SirNotlag

• Salutes: 17
    • [Bj&H]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 05:07:48 pm »
How do you install the dev app? I know its a little off topic but I've looked through steam and the GOI website and cant find anything. Plus Muse hasn't answered my email.
Can anyone help?

Offline Milevan Faent

• Salutes: 15
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 05:15:08 pm »
How do you install the dev app? I know its a little off topic but I've looked through steam and the GOI website and cant find anything. Plus Muse hasn't answered my email.
Can anyone help?

You need to enter the code for Dev App in Steam. The code is entered under Games/Activate a Product on Steam.

Offline Alistair MacBain

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 05:20:42 pm »
Have a look in the experimental crew.
Im quite sure that there are free keys around. Muse usually keeps a few working ones in there.
And then just enter them in steam.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2014, 05:38:49 pm »
You had to sign something? I don't remember ever having to do that.

Offline SirNotlag

• Salutes: 17
    • [Bj&H]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2014, 12:43:50 pm »
ok thanks guys