Author Topic: My experience today  (Read 14043 times)

Offline Jazzza

• Salutes: 16
    • View Profile
    • Website
My experience today
« on: March 11, 2013, 12:15:35 am »
I only played for about 20 minutes today and it was awful.

I decided to try out different ships and guns because for the past 5 ranks of piloting and captaining I've been using my Goldfish with pretty much the same configuration. It was a terrible mistake.

The configurations I did go for weren't the best and we completely lost. My crew and other players in the match let me know that. In-game I made several mistakes which led to our demise, and I had both my crew and my co-captain telling me (at the same time I might add). That was truly awful. I raged quit from my game due to becoming emotional.

Never in my whole GoI experience have I felt this emotional about it.

I'm saying this here because I want someone to know. I want to vent. Maybe other captains feel my pain of trying things out and being flamed at for it. Hopefully those in the game can understand.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 12:20:35 am by Jazzza »

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Re: My experience today
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 12:21:02 am »
Hey Jazza... Yeah there are those days where stuff like this happens, and it sucks.... That's why it's great to find some people that you enjoy flying with, and stick with them... As long as you're here to learn, then you're perfectly fine in my books...

Offline Helmic

• Salutes: 35
    • [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 02:45:23 am »
I'm going through all sorts of hell trying to get that first experience achievement that demands you down 20 Goldfish with your own.  While I can do fine with it with a cooperative gunner and a good fellow captain, popping up behind the enemy to harass, disable, and kill, without those  two factors I'm just can't stand it.  It's not as tough as the Pyramidion, and it lacks the "oh shit" power of the Spire or Galleon.  Its one effective weapon goes down very easily, and that one effective weapon is commonly stolen by an overzealous engineer leaving the poor gunner to ever so slowly repair the hull.  It just feels so... weak compared to the Pyramidion, which can have three guns point at an enemy at once and play to each other's strength while setting up for a ram to finish them off.  I just really need to stop flying it like I do the Pyramidion.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 02:54:34 am »
PappaParadox let me fling uselss strategies at the Crow team in an attempt to see how they would react to them.  Cost us three matches without a kill, which my random crew went along with and was a relatively fun experience.
Especially the merc squid, loved the merc squid.  I had a gunner who was hitting targets on fast attack passes in canyons, super awesome.

Offline Charon

• Salutes: 95
    • [RAFT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 04:22:35 am »
Kinda makes the case for rolling with a crew, sometimes. Hang in there, Jazz. If I'm online and you need someone on your experimental ship, give me a shout.

Offline Kyren

• Salutes: 80
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 04:47:23 am »
I'm going through all sorts of hell trying to get that first experience achievement that demands you down 20 Goldfish with your own.  While I can do fine with it with a cooperative gunner and a good fellow captain, popping up behind the enemy to harass, disable, and kill, without those  two factors I'm just can't stand it.  It's not as tough as the Pyramidion, and it lacks the "oh shit" power of the Spire or Galleon.  Its one effective weapon goes down very easily, and that one effective weapon is commonly stolen by an overzealous engineer leaving the poor gunner to ever so slowly repair the hull.  It just feels so... weak compared to the Pyramidion, which can have three guns point at an enemy at once and play to each other's strength while setting up for a ram to finish them off.  I just really need to stop flying it like I do the Pyramidion.

We'll have to talk about that, sailor. A Pyramidion can be a slow mess compared to a Goldfish, I'd even say it lacks the Goldfish's maneuverability by far. What loadout and Captain's tools are you using with the Goldfish? How dare a Galleon and a Spire instill fear, if you are sailing with the Queen of all Ships? I'll add you on Social and tell you about how heroic your Goldfish must look like breaking free of the fog in Fjords, bathing in the rays of sunlight visible at the eastern side of the map.

Oh well, and I should add some of my moments of shame here too. I'm usually playing late, many a day after 11 PM here, and I'm still going captain - that sometimes comes down to horrible mistakes. Full throttle ahead, tired and unaware, not properly communicating with my allies. I've got to be constantly aware when Captaining, and I can't keep up to what is needed that late, but yet I often still hop aboard a ship against my better judgement. I also made my crews have a really bad time just after the patch, relying on the Flak in mid-range still and unable to come up with any suitable tactic against double-banshee Pyramidions. All in all, it just comes down to a game though, and everyone makes mistakes.

I'm still trying to avoid flying after 11 PM GMT +1 though :P

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 02:00:52 pm »
No game has filled me with such rage as GOI. Like wise no game has instilled in me such a feeling of accomplishment as GOI. I have been told on several occasions I should" chill the f*** out," and I probably deserve to be told that.

Last night I was captaining with a new player who was making a genuine effort to get better as captain on a 2v2 server. I was engaged in an artillery duel with another galleon, and instructing my ally to join me so that we can double team the enemy galleon.  The next thing I know my ally rams me knocking my guns off line. In response I unleash all my pent up frustration I have from loosing the past 5 games, over captain chat.

I have probably used the phrases "We die here because of your incompetence" and "You have failed your teammates, I am ashamed to fly with you." more than is entirely healthy for playing a friendly vidoe game. Take this post as my confession that I am not always a nice guy and a downright a-hole at times.

Offline Helmic

• Salutes: 35
    • [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 06:46:47 am »
That's common with any heavily team-based game, it's why Heroes of Newerth is famous for its particular brand of racist asshole.  It's just that raging in this game has a much more pronounced effect on your ability to win, raging gets in the way of leading your crew and if you can't lead your crew you will explode.  Granted a main engineer can rage too but when that guy's raging everyone's about to die anyways.

See, when I get pissed like that, I curse on the OPPOSITE channel and blame everything going wrong on the other party.  Either the crew gets an egoboost from carrying the match, or I scream obscenities at my fellow captain so it doesn't come out at my crew.  If they don't know, it won't hurt morale and those that hear it usually help calm me down so I can start thinking again.

Still doesn't save me from the involuntary GODFUCKINGCOCKSUCKINGDAMMIT when the third gunner pops up on the ship and everything spontaneously combusts.  Please.  Fix.  That.  A message even, saying that you put your crew at a severe disadvantage if you join as a third gunner.  It has taken victory away from many a ship and it's really nobody's fault because that quickjoiner just did what he should have done in any other game.  And just don't let pilots quickjoin ships that already have a pilot, just bring up the failed to find game message and bring them to the match screen with instructions to either pick a different class or create a new game.

Offline Shukketsushi

• Salutes: 50
    • [МSF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 06:57:05 am »
I felt like this when I tried gunning out, Jazzza. I think that we all have those nights.

I have probably used the phrases "We die here because of your incompetence" and "You have failed your teammates, I am ashamed to fly with you." more than is entirely healthy for playing a friendly vidoe game. Take this post as my confession that I am not always a nice guy and a downright a-hole at times.

I laughed at this when I probably shouldn't have.

Offline Phoebe

• Salutes: 62
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 01:40:34 pm »
Right where to start...

Guns of Icarus Online is one of them games where someones expectations of a game and the personality they bring into it can either make or break another players experience due to the importance of teamplay and cooperative spirit.

Some people are competitive while others are not;- and out of those who are competitive some have high expectations of their crew and might feel the need to lash out verbally when someone doesn't fullfil that expectation....  Still a common sight in online games;- but let's carry on.

Let's compare to games - games that do not share the same genre or niche but definitely share the same importance of cooperation and teamplay :  League of Legends and Guns of Icarus Online.

The first thing you oughta notice or even be insulted by in this comparison is that League of Legends has an incredibly obnoxious and juvenile audience;- where no matter what you do;- as long as you are part of a losing team you are likely to be insulted or blamed. In comparison Guns of Icarus Online probably has the least of that in any of the games I've ever played;- period - and I've been playing games since 1995 when a lot of gamers today were still pooping yellow.

That doesn't mean you will always hit an understanding skillful crew with a good attitude towards the game and generally friendly spirit; however.   This is just as much a part of online gaming as is blocking gold spammers; toilet-papering a developers house over a change you didn't agree with; comparing the size of your sword with that of your clan member and being overly nice with Phoebe because she has red hair and plays videogames.

No matter what game you purchase and play - people you get frustrated at *and* people you get disheartened by because of their verbal aggressive nature will always be there to lessen the play experience to some degree;- but you have to put it aside and learn how to deal with it.

I know it sounds really harsh and hardly constructive to throw down the phrase, "Suck it up" - but no matter how many paragraphs I devote to this particular subject it will always come down to that.  In fact;- the people you see posting on this thread are the people you need to cherish and keep around as your friends.    If anything you just need to make sure you have a lot more positive energy around you than negative.

My advice to you is to really try and not get disheartened by people who make you feel like you're crappy at the game.  Screw them.  Everyone has their own way of playing their game and practising their hobby and no one can tell you what works and what doesn't because the only thing that works for each and every individual is having fun - and having fun is an everchanging variable that is different for everyone.

Don't respond to people you feel are being careless with your feelings; compliment people who you feel contribute to a better environment.   Don't read beauty magazines; they will only make you feel ugly.

Offline TheMick

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 03:46:16 pm »
Right where to start...

Guns of Icarus Online is one of them games where someones expectations of a game and the personality they bring into it can either make or break another players experience due to the importance of teamplay and cooperative spirit.

Some people are competitive while others are not;- and out of those who are competitive some have high expectations of their crew and might feel the need to lash out verbally when someone doesn't fullfil that expectation....  Still a common sight in online games;- but let's carry on.

Let's compare to games - games that do not share the same genre or niche but definitely share the same importance of cooperation and teamplay :  League of Legends and Guns of Icarus Online.

The first thing you oughta notice or even be insulted by in this comparison is that League of Legends has an incredibly obnoxious and juvenile audience;- where no matter what you do;- as long as you are part of a losing team you are likely to be insulted or blamed. In comparison Guns of Icarus Online probably has the least of that in any of the games I've ever played;- period - and I've been playing games since 1995 when a lot of gamers today were still pooping yellow.

That doesn't mean you will always hit an understanding skillful crew with a good attitude towards the game and generally friendly spirit; however.   This is just as much a part of online gaming as is blocking gold spammers; toilet-papering a developers house over a change you didn't agree with; comparing the size of your sword with that of your clan member and being overly nice with Phoebe because she has red hair and plays videogames.

No matter what game you purchase and play - people you get frustrated at *and* people you get disheartened by because of their verbal aggressive nature will always be there to lessen the play experience to some degree;- but you have to put it aside and learn how to deal with it.

I know it sounds really harsh and hardly constructive to throw down the phrase, "Suck it up" - but no matter how many paragraphs I devote to this particular subject it will always come down to that.  In fact;- the people you see posting on this thread are the people you need to cherish and keep around as your friends.    If anything you just need to make sure you have a lot more positive energy around you than negative.

My advice to you is to really try and not get disheartened by people who make you feel like you're crappy at the game.  Screw them.  Everyone has their own way of playing their game and practising their hobby and no one can tell you what works and what doesn't because the only thing that works for each and every individual is having fun - and having fun is an everchanging variable that is different for everyone.

Don't respond to people you feel are being careless with your feelings; compliment people who you feel contribute to a better environment.   Don't read beauty magazines; they will only make you feel ugly.

Hear hear, salute for this. Couldn'tagree more.

And I'm canceling my subscription to cosmo!

Offline Chango

• Salutes: 13
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 03:51:54 pm »
Don't get discouraged if a crew member trolls you. You can do everything perfect and someone will still troll you. It's the nature of the internetz.
What was your setup? You might of had a great idea but wasn't sure how to properly implement it.

Chango's Words of Wisdom:
Smoke a joint and try again, it's just a game.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 04:00:47 pm »
Even i have these instances where it seems nothing i do is quite right, and because of it, the team manages to fall flat on its face and lose for an entire day. These off days can get demoralizing, but they dont last forever. You eventually gather yourself and get back up on those win streaks. Such is the rise and fall of GOIO.

Also, never stop experimenting. When I started out, I was too rigid and stuck to one build that worked. Now, I can fly anything, and try different layouts for the sake of finding new ways to maim other boats. It adds a lot more depth to the game.

Offline VikingOfSixth

• Salutes: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 06:18:41 pm »

@Phoebe has covered everything critical with an excellent response.

Don't let a few bastards ruin your experience, there are plenty of wonderful players and crews out there. Disregard them and try to build connections with the players that make this a great community.

Offline Connor Mc.

• Salutes: 18
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 06:23:50 pm »
I'm actually afraid of this happening, I need to fly a squid for an achievement and I've never flown one in a competitive match before, I don't want to ruin somebody elses fun doing so