Author Topic: Another one of those 'gunner balance' threads.  (Read 21435 times)

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Re: Another one of those 'gunner balance' threads.
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2014, 04:18:50 pm »
As long as gunner tools can only be used on guns, I don't see how it would boost engineering.

Wouldn't boost engineering, it would boost the utility of the engineer class. If an engineer is improved by bringing new gunner tools, then the engineer is also buffed by these new tools, even if the engineer game remains the same.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2014, 04:30:00 pm »
For example if there were a gunner tool that decreased reload time by hitting a gun with it from walk around the ship mode, Goldfish engineers would bring that for their one gunner slot and leave the gunner on the gun while they assisted in the fast load.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2014, 12:45:29 pm »
As long as gunner tools can only be used on guns, I don't see how it would boost engineering.

Wouldn't boost engineering, it would boost the utility of the engineer class. If an engineer is improved by bringing new gunner tools, then the engineer is also buffed by these new tools, even if the engineer game remains the same.

So what you're saying is that adding new tools buffs the engineer? I disagree:

Say for example you make the buff hammer unable to buff guns, and add a gunner tool that buffs guns. An engineer would only be able to take an ammo type, or the gunner tool but not both. Now guns like the mercury/ heavy carronade/ heavy flak can be used by the gunner in combination with charged ammo for +55% damage, but only up to +30% by an engineer. As the game currently is engineers can take an ammo type and the buff tool and can do that +55% damage where a gunner can only viably do a maximum of +30% with the charged rounds. The same theory works if a new gunner tool is added that works like a buff hammer but increases rate of fire and can be used in combination with greased rounds.

And yes, this shit truly would increase the popularity/viability of the gunner class - not that its an issue imho.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 12:51:50 pm by GeoRmr »

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2014, 01:11:44 pm »
As an individual, the gunner with a buff tool in a ammo slot would have more DPS than the engineer. However this game is played in teams and two engineers can work in conjunction to get the same maximum dps as a gunner while having all the tankyness of two full repair engineers on the ship.

I am not saying making a buff tool for the gunner slot is a bad idea. In fact I quite like it, but there may be unintended side effects that will end up buffing a class that didn't need buffing.

Offline SirNotlag

• Salutes: 17
    • [Bj&H]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2014, 11:22:32 pm »
I quite like the idea of those side effects they would raise the skill cap of the team working together like a well oiled machine and I don't see a problem with that.

Provided the alterations do their intended task and make the gunner more effective at his job, so more builds work optimally with the 2 engineers and a gunner set up, rather than the 3 engineers, which I see very often.

3 engineer builds would still be viable and perhaps even more powerful than the 2 engineers and a gunner but only if there was some hardcore team orientation in it.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2014, 01:52:07 am »
Break The Paradigm!!!

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2014, 11:08:27 am »
I quite like the idea of those side effects they would raise the skill cap of the team working together like a well oiled machine and I don't see a problem with that.

Provided the alterations do their intended task and make the gunner more effective at his job, so more builds work optimally with the 2 engineers and a gunner set up, rather than the 3 engineers, which I see very often.

3 engineer builds would still be viable and perhaps even more powerful than the 2 engineers and a gunner but only if there was some hardcore team orientation in it.

Who know, maybe even 2 gunner 1 engineer ships will become popular.