Author Topic: Proposed SCS testing event.  (Read 19659 times)

Offline Mean Machine

• Salutes: 31
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
Re: Proposed SCS testing event.
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2014, 04:51:39 am »
Yeah time limit is a bit too short for my taste. I think it makes everyone play aggressive, which eliminates some of the strategies or play styles that different teams have.
However for the ship picks, I think it's not that bad. I kinda like it. Well, at least more than current system where people keep changing ships to counter each other for 5+ minutes.

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2014, 04:54:43 am »
The time limit rly seems to short.
The pick idea is a interesting thing to counter ship scrambles but i have the fear it doesnt work out to well ...
Maybe a blind pick would work better where teams have to msg referee beforehand what ship and loadout they will take.

Offline Mean Machine

• Salutes: 31
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2014, 05:01:39 am »
Maybe a blind pick would work better where teams have to msg referee beforehand what ship and loadout they will take.

Holy potatoes, we gotta try this! That would be so much fun. I wish for this for so long, where teams wouldn't be able to see each others loadouts :D

And to make it even more fun, remove hitmarks on enemy ships in game :P Muse, come on, make it happen hehe.

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2014, 05:38:12 am »
i'll come out with a statement of my analyzis tomorrow

Offline Realdiculous

• Salutes: 2
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2014, 01:34:38 pm »
Swift are you crazy? Don't give them any ideas. If the hit markers go, I might have to switch class, yikes!

I believe the system you have been trying in the games we played is better than waiting for 20 minutes for everyone to finally decide what they want to play, or counter with. The completely blind pick could be good too, but it might also invite teams to remember what the other teams like to bring, and simply try to guess their ships counter according to this info.

I know what you have been trying to do with the time limit in-game, but I think it is either too short, or should be removed. This invites the current leading team to simply ignore or avoid the enemy ships, once the timer gets close to the end. The fact that it forces the losing team to concede instead of fighting till the bitter end, makes for a less exciting show.

Offline Skrimskraw

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2014, 05:38:51 am »
We tested the rules and I got the needed feedback to make an analyzis of some sort. The way I did it was by putting all feedback into a simple display based on positive and negative feedback on both rules. There were a few comments on the organizational spectrum.
Display: to the left you see either names or clan feedback, and above you see what they are commenting on.

http://s21.postimg.org/ty3ua5pgn/display.jpg

The pick order rule:
To start with the positive feedback it is perceived that the pick order system is superior to the former endless time of counterpicking until the referee asked to ready up. We made a run with the new 5 minutes in lobby yesterday in SCS, which in itself worked much easier for the organizational team. I personally think that if we were to gain feedback compard to SCS 22 the feedback would be somewhat more negative towards this.
From the organizational team we have a big skepticism towards the pick order system, it was proposed as a possible solution to the long lobby times. In the eyes of us the organizers of SCS we are not interested in becoming the high competitive playground, we have no intentions of joining MLG rulesets or anything that would show a huge difference with professionalism in the competitive scene than what you have been used to before. We like that teams sign up on weekly basis, being able to change their rosters last minute etc. We are currently trying to get more teams to sign up, and a pick order system is in both the feedback and my own opinion not a valid solution in this event which basicly serves as weekly practice for all teams signing up.
However the system proves to be a valid solution for more competitive events, but needs a lot of work and further testing. The time to pick was too short for some teams, and I’d like to bring out a quote from JubJub:

“An example of how this went yesterday from our perspective: Red 1 rushes to pick a ship build based on the map and what he/she thinks/assumes/hopes the enemy is going to bring due to only having 1 minute to decide. Blue 1 and Blue 2 see Red 1's ship, and in a 2 minute long conversation pick two ships to counter it, and whatever would work well with it. Red 2 is then forced, again with 1 minute remaining, to either pick a ship that works well with his ally, or a different ship that doesn't work well with his ally, but will try to counter the enemy's ships.”

If anyone is willing to work further on this system, or if we at some point test it further, this is where you should start. With the feedback given it is concluded that the system is not perfect, but is better than not having any time limits on picking both from a streaming, organizational and team perspective. However this is not the future of SCS.

The time limit rule:
While testing the time limit rule a question came up regarding to the surrender option. In the eyes of the organizational team it is completely valid to surrender at any time during the game, however we feel that surrender based on saving time is a valid tactic but if it can be avoided would be better. A lot of teams felt stressed about the 10 minutes, which gave only room for a swift and aggressive playstyle. Further concerns were given about ships and builds being locked out due to time constraints. Being a practice event we want to promote teams to use us as a playground if possible, to test various builds competitive. The short time means that keeping an eye on the clock becomes a valid meta, concerns such as clock abuse and avoiding combat seems to be the biggest factor. I don’t think it is a good idea for SCS to push teams into thinking of anything other than having fun and playing versus each other is a good way to do things. We will keep running with the current system from SCS22 which provides teams with up to 25 minutes in a match to do long range egagements, however we are not interested in giving teams more time than this. Both from a streaming and organizational perspective sniping games with more than these 25 minutes proves to be boring and not fun, teams can keep that in their own scrimmages.

Remaining comments:
It would be interesting to test the proposed blind pick system that was given with feedback. It is possible that I will run an event testing this in the near future.

The reason we as referees do not use ingame voice chat in lobbies is that we cannot be sure that it is heard by everyone. However using the chat is a lot easier for us as referees. You can send us private messages, or write us on steam we are ok with that, but we won’t be using ingame voice chat for information due to confusion, unless it is necessary.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2014, 09:31:49 am »
The reason we as referees do not use ingame voice chat in lobbies is that we cannot be sure that it is heard by everyone. However using the chat is a lot easier for us as referees. You can send us private messages, or write us on steam we are ok with that, but we won’t be using ingame voice chat for information due to confusion, unless it is necessary.

On this topic, I wondered if the referee couldn't be in a party with all captains of the current match, in case the ref's chat messages get drowned out by chat-happy people.

Offline Skrimskraw

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2014, 11:29:21 am »

On this topic, I wondered if the referee couldn't be in a party with all captains of the current match, in case the ref's chat messages get drowned out by chat-happy people.

lets try it sunday

Offline AbbyTheRat

• Salutes: 52
    • [◉‿◉]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2014, 11:42:32 am »
The Party idea is great, However I do have to make a note that I'm deaf and often times I do miss what is said in voice chat, the main reason party chat works great is that the texts are in a different colour and makes it stands out, in game and in lobby.