Author Topic: Better default throttle controls  (Read 7869 times)

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
Better default throttle controls
« on: September 17, 2014, 03:04:22 am »
The default control scheme for the helm is clumsy. It takes a moment to get used to, i like W & A for up and down, A & D for left and right, but i always found the R & F keys for throttle to be awkward. Aside from the fact that the E key is in between and can get you to fall off the helm (and fall off the ship). I think everyone fumbles a little bit with moving the ship with just their left hand using the default set up. When you are on the helm, the only thing you use your mouse for is looking around (or scrolling to use helm tools but the number keys are better for that). So because of this, many pilots have changed their controls, and i think the most common change is throttle on left and right mouse click. It makes sense, since throttle is not a key you hold, but change quickly. So i propose to make this the new default, if not, maybe a few people can use this post to change their controls for the better.

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
Re: Better default throttle controls
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 03:06:37 am »
after one match of remapping throttle to the mouse I liked life way better and haven't looked back since.  +1

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 06:22:56 am »
Changed my controls about a few weeks into the game after I noticed the r/f keys were hindering mobility in tense engagements. The improvement of relocating to mouse controls was like night and day.

Also, for people with bad keyboards, or laptop keyboards, the less you have mapped to the keys the better. Not all boards can handle the number of keystrokes needed. Heck I have to take an external board with me on trips cause my laptop's board just can't handle it. You'd think with a gaming laptop they'd put a high keystroke board in...nope.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 06:40:58 am »
after one match of remapping throttle to the mouse I liked life way better and haven't looked back since.  +1

Getting the R/F keys assigned to mouse buttons (under the thumb) seems like a good temporarily solution, I must try this.

Also, for people with bad keyboards, or laptop keyboards, the less you have mapped to the keys the better. Not all boards can handle the number of keystrokes needed. Heck I have to take an external board with me on trips cause my laptop's board just can't handle it. You'd think with a gaming laptop they'd put a high keystroke board in...nope.

This, so much this. My default personal computer is laptop and sometimes when I try to go up/down using S/W I'm like "Go down.....go down.....go....could you...?... GO F*ING DOWN YOU PIECE OF S*T.... THERE YOU GO, WAS IT THAT DIFFI....aaand I'm dead". I guess the only two solutions are dealing with it or buy better keyboard/computer/sth else.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 08:59:24 am »
I go with the defaut controls.

Nothing wrong with it. Just takes getting used to.
The throttles arent held, they are pressed and then forgotten until need to change again. So W and S as throttle is just as good and bad as R and F. Its the pressing of the throttle that is getting me.

Offline Cheesy Crackers

• Salutes: 82
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 09:31:35 am »
Eh... I think it's more of an opinion thing, personally I prefer being able to just use one hand to control ship movement

Offline Milevan Faent

• Salutes: 15
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 10:38:23 am »
I use W and S for my throttle controls, and R and F for my vertical movement, and it's worked just fine for me. Though getting knocked off the helm occasionally has been annoying, it's not something I can't deal with.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 11:32:43 am »
Yeah, most people move a part of the helm controls to the mouse because by default the mouse buttons aren't used much on helm.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 11:39:26 am »
My life was made much better when I moved throttle up and down to mouse 4 and 5 keys.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 01:39:49 pm »
Rebind dissmount helm to left shift - problem solved

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 02:02:38 pm »
Rebind dissmount helm to left shift - problem solved
For that i have 'leave helm' unbound, and 'dismount helm' on space.