Author Topic: Pilot Tools: Cannibalize  (Read 11459 times)

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
Pilot Tools: Cannibalize
« on: September 11, 2014, 06:40:46 am »
Options here...

Cannibalize Hull:

Sacrifice Hull HP to boost armor. Crew starts taking parts of the ship and slapping them on as armor in an emergency. This is tank mode. All alone under fire, hit the tool. Start losing perma hull and gain armor. Direct tradeoff. So if the armor drops, you die easier, but it'll be like a turtle till then. Also since it sacrifices hull, it could leave you weak for future engagements. Kind of a...oh crap, meat grind, tank! Tool.

Now should it be able to kill a ship? *shrug* If not kill, leave it at 1% and make the tool unable to be used after that.

Now as for how much dmg would overwhelm it? Dunno, talk it out.

Cannibalize Armor:

Sacrifice armor to reinforce balloon. Crew starts tearing off the armor and slapping it on the balloon. Replenishes HP. Same effect as the hull cept armor can be rebuilt. Possibly give it faster effect to make sure the armor will go down quickly.

Could be possible to make it a direct mirror of the other and just code it so the armor doesn't come back. Flying around with your balloon hull ship.

Cannibalize Balloon:

Either Hull or Armor gained by sacrificing the balloon. Crew adds on armor/hull at the price of losing capacity on the balloon. This one might need a cut off point, otherwise you could suicide pretty easily.

Cannibalize Armor 2:

If armor could be coded to be completely removed with a tool, or maybe brought down real low. Similar trick to engines or weight of the vessel. Crew sheds armor to gain more speed/mobility.

Unfortunately all of these are pretty much 1 time use tools and situational. But each has drawbacks to usage. Someone using one, would not be able to sustain it and it would leave them weakened for future engagements.

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Re: Pilot Tools: Cannibalize
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 01:32:08 pm »
I was so scared that this was going to suggest eating an unhelpful crew member. The pit is spared such a thread for the moment. It's an interesting idea. I think that it would be even more interesting on an engineer tool. Hit one object to remove some if it's health, then hit the other object within a certain time span to give it the extra boost.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 02:31:04 pm »
So would this tool increase the maximum armour value like the buff hammer, or just repair armor as it eats the hull? Very interesting idea btw ^_^

Offline Sprayer

• Salutes: 14
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 03:10:30 pm »
Aww so no eating useless crewmembers.

Offline GurasOguras

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 30
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 04:36:55 pm »
Do this have any connection with climate or world? Game world have restricts of realism. How can you explain that? Remember It's steampunk (dieselpunk), not arcade. How can you physically transfer metal from hull to baloon? Because for me this sounds really ridiculous.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 05:14:52 pm »
Yeah it could be engineer tool too. However, it could be used for trolling if that happened. Thats the only reason I figured pilot. Sure a pilot could troll with it, but unless they don't care, they'll want to save it for when its needed. Unless there would be an option to resolve this. Also I don't think engineers would take a tool like this if it meant sacrificing something else. Think about it, if they took this over a spray flames could easily overwhelm and no matter how much HP to transfer to hull, you'll fold up in no time.

The airships are already impossible in our world. Realistically putting armor plates over a balloon would take time but there wouldn't be time for that in a battle. Better to just go arcade with it. Ships would need to have a special effect to signify the pilot is using a "oh crap" tool. Enemies could then switch target or just wait it out.

Think in competitive battles would come down to using these and timing of use. Do you engage early when shots start landing, or wait till the last moment and make a foe waste their clip?

Anyways, doubt this would be a real thing. Just posting it since the idea popped in my mind. Might be something for Adventure mode to survive boss fights.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 07:17:56 pm »
Do this have any connection with climate or world? Game world have restricts of realism. How can you explain that? Remember It's steampunk (dieselpunk), not arcade. How can you physically transfer metal from hull to baloon? Because for me this sounds really ridiculous.

The entire game is totally ridiculous, for example: engineers inflate balloons by whacking them with hammers and then running away, all the gunners shouldn't be able to move under the weight of all that ammo, airships themselves have impossibly large gondolas, armor-stripping gatlings (bullets don't work that way), lack of any sort of sights on most guns, ships springing full-formed from thin air in the middle of the map et cetera et cetera.

Just roll with it dude..

Regarding OP, I can already see in my mind's eye goldfish and squid flying around being as tough as junkers (all perma transferred to armor) and terrorizing all the other ships.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 07:29:54 pm by Omniraptor »

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 05:25:43 am »
I like quesos idea better. Let us turn that those powder monkeys getting stuck on pyra-balcony-beacons into a useful entity for the ship!
eating a fellow crew-member could grant a "well fed"-buff  allowing engineers to whack their tools harder and granting gunners the ability to perform leaps to board enemy ships. Awesome!

Offline DJ Tipz N Trix

• Salutes: 20
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 12:00:03 pm »
there should be a hunger stat so that matches don't take forever.  cannibalize will help stave it off.

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 01:43:51 pm »
What have I done...

Offline Milevan Faent

• Salutes: 15
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 03:11:39 pm »
What have I done...

Yeah, you can't really banish it to the pit when it's YOUR fault that happened XD

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2014, 05:00:43 pm »
Well...we could have a cannibal airship theme. If you consider the GOIO world, there has gotta be cannibals in it.

Offline shaelyn

• Salutes: 73
    • [◉‿◉]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2014, 06:02:59 pm »
*pops open box of Nerds*  *pours some into mouth, chews thoughtfully*

nah, we don't need the theme.  if we can actually cannibalize our crew mates, that'd be enough.

Offline Sprayer

• Salutes: 14
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 02:23:37 am »
Or do cannibalizing alla kroots from wh40k: strap useless crewmembers to the hull to increase armor.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 03:58:45 am »
Or do cannibalizing alla kroots from wh40k: strap useless crewmembers to the hull to increase armor.