Author Topic: Ability to choose map in practice(opinions welcome)  (Read 8325 times)

Offline Axius

• Salutes: 2
    • View Profile
Ability to choose map in practice(opinions welcome)
« on: September 10, 2014, 06:07:16 am »
I love this game. I love the combat, the frantic balance between attack and repair, and the interactivity forced on people to make everything run smoothly. But the one thing I love the most is flying. I've always liked flying games and by far Guns of Icarus Online is the best at it. But it could be better. Sometimes I just want to fly through the beautifully made maps and take in the surrounding without having to constantly be looking over my shoulder for enemy airships. Having the ability to choose the map you practice on would make this the almost perfect game(only thing that would make it better is more players, but I don't want the servers to crash :P ). I don't think it would be too much of a stretch to make either, as practice seems to use the same system as the actual matches.

Does anyone have any opinions on this? Why it should/shouldn't happen? Feel free to tell me.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: Ability to choose map in practice(opinions welcome)
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 06:16:32 am »
Thishas been suggested many times and is the healthiest update to the game. But still no idea why we cant choose.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 06:22:28 am »
Yes please, i just want to be able to fly around the maps on my own. finding every last sneaky route.

Offline Axius

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 08:39:09 am »
Yes please, i just want to be able to fly around the maps on my own. finding every last sneaky route.
While finding sneaky routes is a obvious bonus, I just want to fly...

Offline shaelyn

• [◉‿◉]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 08:13:19 pm »
I still just want a map for Practice that doesn't make me squint...something with the darkness of fjords or labyrinth/paritan rumble...don't care if it's the same maps or not...

but yeah, this one got sent to the devs with some kind of affirmative response, but I don't know if they intend to make new maps or pull the currently playable maps into Practice.

https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,4649.msg77893.html#msg77893
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 08:19:28 pm by shaelyn »

Offline Axius

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 01:01:03 am »
I still just want a map for Practice that doesn't make me squint...something with the darkness of fjords or labyrinth/paritan rumble...don't care if it's the same maps or not...

but yeah, this one got sent to the devs with some kind of affirmative response, but I don't know if they intend to make new maps or pull the currently playable maps into Practice.

https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,4649.msg77893.html#msg77893

Thank you for linking this  :D Any kind of yes is great news

Offline shaelyn

• [◉‿◉]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 11:48:00 pm »
:)  very welcome

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 11:51:42 am »
Remember that Devs by general don't read the forum. If you want Devs to know and/or do something you have to either e-mail them or ask them on the chat.

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 03:38:32 pm »
Remember that Devs by general don't read the forum. If you want Devs to know and/or do something you have to either e-mail them or ask them on the chat.

Actually, they seem to check the forum a lot, but e-mailing directly is probably best.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 07:56:06 pm »
Well when I asked them on Fireside Chat they said that basically they check the forum "only when things go really bad". Also many times I asked about things from the 1st page of "Feedback and Suggestions" and they mostly don't know what is happening here. But hell, if what you're saying is true - I'm happy.

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2014, 09:33:52 pm »
Oh, interesting.  Well, I do see a decent amount of forum posts from devs, so at least they're looking sometimes.  :P

Offline shaelyn

• [◉‿◉]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2014, 10:40:57 pm »
so...quite a while ago, I saw a dev chat too where they mentioned they greatly prefer email, so I emailed and asked them point-blank how well they check the forums...this was their response:

So I can promise that emails get read and answered, but I can't promise the same on the forums.
We do check out the forums from time to time, but not reliably enough and I'm there are some great ideas I'm sure we're missing, overall though it's just not as easy to keep up with.
You can definitely bring any of your ideas directly to us we don't mind getting more mail, plus it's easier of a format for us.

pretty much since then, I've been directly emailing them threads of personal interest or threads that get a lot of positive attention in the community.  I have a long list though, and I'm trying to not overwhelm them XD

but yeah, these forums now seem better suited to just put out feelers to see how well-received an idea is by the community, or to see if anyone has any added thoughts for an idea (like the freckles thread).

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2014, 06:39:27 am »
Once I had an idea that someone trustworthy (CA's maybe?) could make weekly forum updates for Devs - they would write what are the interesting ideas discussed recently by community. When I have the time I do something similar on the chat - I look at Feedback and Suggestions and ask about things from there (if I get a response I put it in the thread).

Offline shaelyn

• [◉‿◉]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2014, 11:07:22 am »
I try to email them a separate email for each topic or similar topics, though, and that can be a lot of emails each week.

The reason for this, they were saying in one of the more recent dev chats that one of the things they prefer about email is that they can just forward it to the people it pertains to easily.  if you have pilot tools, character customization, and a new map idea as suggestions you want to forward, that probably all gets handled by different people.  ...So I've been rolling under the assumption that they'd prefer to keep an email per suggestion as they come rather than a big list to divvy up among staff once a week.