Author Topic: State of the Community  (Read 25108 times)

Offline Andriej

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: State of the Community
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2013, 11:00:20 am »
Good evening, fellas.

You might have already figured this out, but i want to shed some light on russian...well...thing.

Basically, it's all thanks to a group of russian video-bloggers, who've been streaming GoI for quite awhile now. Yes, it's good for GoI popularity, but there's problem that i want to warn you about.
What you're facing right know isn't language or cultural barrier. Majority of russian crews rushes straight into enemy fire without any tactic not because they can't hear or understand veteran players, but because they're not willing to do so. Mostly they're playing GoI (well, with some exceptions ofc) because they want to meet/interact/shoot down their favourite videobloggers, and because those bloggers also pointed them out a new place for being aggressive. It's very specific (yet rather big) group of players(i mean ONLY those videobloggers followers, not all russian players, and i want to stress it out), based onto useless agression, lack of respect to anyone and, well, duh, games. I'm not talking about everyone of them, i'm quite sure there's also enough decent people there, but still... Just trust me, you don't want to learn russian.

And I'm really glad that you don't understand crew and ship names. It might cause some serious mental damage.

Russian players always were famous because of their aggresive and competitive approach to the games. I am really concerned about the fact that GoIO (Heavily Team-Based Game) attracts this kind of players. There are plenty of other games which have way bigger playerbases (e.g. LoL) and have plenty of other Russians playing those games. Hm..I suppose GoIO has a chance to become a worldwide known title! Hell, that would be cool! 8)

Why not? This is GREAT!... unless you are sorted in their team but STILL in persistent world they would make for great pirates and bandits!

I love to play against russians, they are so aggressive and chaotic. Sometimes easy to deal because of lack of the strategy and sometimes just "they are going to RAM us? With GOLDFISH?" and they DO! And sometimes it turns for us worse than expected.

Make harpoon a mandatory equipment for every russian capitan and I will be happy like little girl. And give them option to paint their whole ships jet-black. This would be awsome.

You are hell of the man! Grab your Salute! and I hope you will be happy like a little girl one day! But before that day comes enjoy your Russian fellas company, Yarr!

Offline GrimGrimoire

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2013, 06:20:08 pm »
Why not? This is GREAT!... unless you are sorted in their team but STILL in persistent world they would make for great pirates and bandits!

I love to play against russians, they are so aggressive and chaotic. Sometimes easy to deal because of lack of the strategy and sometimes just "they are going to RAM us? With GOLDFISH?" and they DO! And sometimes it turns for us worse than expected.

Make harpoon a mandatory equipment for every russian capitan and I will be happy like little girl. And give them option to paint their whole ships jet-black. This would be awsome.

And this is why boarding would be awesome.

I played my first full day of GoIO today, and I loved it. My first online match dropped me into a crew of three Russian Gunners, piloting a Goldfish equipped with only flamethrowers and a hwacha. They would put the ship on full throttle ahead and all man the guns, screaming at me in Russian whenever something broke down. Needless to say, we rarely survived getting close enough to an enemy to ram them.
Sometime later I tried my hand at being a captain, piloting a Galleon with a crew of AIs when three Russians with matching clantags join my ship. Later on in the same match, I leave the helm to repair some damage, and while I'm gone one of the Russians take the helm, and they all start to shout loudly at me whenever I come close. It was like a mutiny.

As for the community as a whole, wish there was more communication overall. Most games my teammates never interact, everyone just runs around deck until we explode. Also, I wish more people played Pilots. I'm partial to the Engineer myself, but it's mildly frustrating when the captain just points us in the general direction of the enemy and  puts the engines on full throttle, just so he or she can sit around in a gun for the rest of the match, eventually leading someone (often an Engineer) to take the helm.

Offline JaceBoojah

• Salutes: 42
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 03:14:05 am »
What if there was a beginner class that is all classes in one. This class could be an option for 1-3 lvls or so and then its unavailable and you have the normal 3 classes.

Experienced players would have less issue with having new players on their team.  New players have an easier time fitting in.

Yes this would give an advantage, but it would be very hard to exploit and only temporarily until the player levels up.

Elite happy & Noobies happy

Offline Ccrack

• Salutes: 25
    • [duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 05:25:16 am »
Language barrier is a tough one... time to start learning some Russian!

i think a way around that would be some kind of ingame voice command, like a drop down menu.

say for instance press a key to open the menu, then say 1 for commands, then another key for a specific command.
and just have it so that the russian version plays the command in their language.

dont know if that would be viable to implement or not but it would help russian crew members understand what you want them to do instead of just yelling at them

Offline Pickle

• [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2013, 06:08:53 am »
I love some of the Russian 'ship loadouts..

Triple-carronade Squid paired with a quadruple-hwacha Galleon on Duel at Dawn.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2013, 07:48:02 am »

What's wrong with a quadruple hwacha Galleon? It works in the current meta.

Offline Pickle

• [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2013, 08:38:34 am »

What's wrong with a quadruple hwacha Galleon? It works in the current meta.

Oh the Galleon works.. but facing two Goldfish on Duel all the Goldfish have to do is keep to the other side of the map, or the Galleon has to tangle with the wind and the scenery - remembering that Russians don't like Piloting (or Engineering).

The triple-carronade Squid was the odd one, given the usual Russian tactic of rushing in all-guns-blazing - against a Flak Goldfish and a Hwacha Goldfish that whilst not completely coordinating tactics did stay together 80% of the time to provide mutual support.  If the Squid had Banshees or Whirlwinds (or even flamers) they might have caused more problems, but as it was if you Hydrogened to ceiling altitude whenever they closed it was quite easy to protect the balloon.

The eventual score was 5:1 (4x Squid kills, 1x Galleon helped by the Galleon getting caught in the map-corner-of-death) vs (1x Goldfish that got too close to the Galleon in the map-corner-of-death).

Watching the tactics, I think the Russian metagame is about 6-8 weeks behind the Western metagame - purely because they're late to the party, but gaining very fast (it should catch up within 4 weeks).  The best Russian teams are soon going to figure out better builds and ammunition choices and it will be interesting to see how the Western long-game copes with the Russian short-game.

Offline Latrew

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2013, 02:13:18 pm »
Watching the tactics, I think the Russian metagame is about 6-8 weeks behind the Western metagame - purely because they're late to the party, but gaining very fast (it should catch up within 4 weeks).  The best Russian teams are soon going to figure out better builds and ammunition choices and it will be interesting to see how the Western long-game copes with the Russian short-game.

Implying that the majority of them gonna keep playing after the end of those let's plays, which is very doubtful.

Offline Pickle

• [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2013, 04:12:25 pm »
Most Western players don't get beyond 1:1:1 before giving up.. we should see some great Russian teams emerge from those that stay with it.

In the mean time, as long as the rumours aren't true and the Russians are paying for the game.. let's be happy they're supporting its development for us diehards.