Author Topic: Audio Feedback When Taking Gating Fire  (Read 11830 times)

Offline Assault Pig

• Salutes: 5
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
Audio Feedback When Taking Gating Fire
« on: September 08, 2014, 01:14:14 pm »
When taking fire from most weapons in Guns of Icarus there is some sort of audio feedback, i.e. explosion sounds when you get hit by explosive weapons. There are times when the only cue I have telling me that the ship is taking gatling fire is my shortening hull armor bar.

I think this is a great opportunity to add in some awesome and useful sounds, not necessarily a cheesy "PEW PEW PEW" but something to represent the terrifying situation of having dozens of chaingun bullets poking holes in your deck.

Offline Replaceable

• Salutes: 84
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Re: Audio Feedback When Taking Gating Fire
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 02:22:30 pm »
I like this idea, especially when you think about the unmistakable sound of a carronade, or a flamerthrower (and the visual cues.) This would be cool.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 02:44:30 pm »
Hey Crafeksterty,

This is some awesome feedback! Thank you so much for sending it out way.

I'm going to send this out to the team and make a note in our Trello ideas so we can talk about it during out next ideas meeting.

------------------------------------------------------------------

On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 2:21 PM, :-: <:-:> wrote:
There are loads of suggestions lingering around the forums, balance and additions and whatnot.

But i think the best suggestion ive seen is giving more weapons an impact sound.
Half the time, one does not notice you are being shot at by gattling guns because they dont give off the sound of impact.
You simply see the armor draining.

The harpoon has the best example because it gives a clear message that your ship has been hit by a harpoon just by sound alone.
Most explosive guns and hades have impact sounds, while mercury and flamer dont exactly have any actual impact sound from the reciever side.

It is just a suggestion to give the weapons more obvious sounds of impact when directly hitting your ship.

The most apparent of weapons that need this is
-Gattling gun (Doesnt have to be individual hits, it can be the sound of bullets hitting and rattling thru metal)
-Flamer (Not individual hits, just a flamer thrower ish sound)
-Mercury (Not impactfull enough at all, the impact sounds the same from the dealer side)

While the guns in the rest of the list have an impact sound but could be more obvious if nescesary
-Artemis
-Light Flak
-Heavy Flak
-Hades

Basicaly look into making the weapons give a sound to the recievers so they know exactly what damage is hitting them just by hearing.
It is a suggestion ive seen some time ago and wanted to bring back up to you guys thru email just to shove it closer to your face and put it on the list of things you guys may do.

It will help players in general and create a more intense atmosphere.

But still up to you guys!

And thanks for the awesome game!

-Crafeksterty
---------------------------------------

This is the mail i sent to feedback@muse.   Ive seen this suggestion before and didnt see it mention, so i took a gander at sending an email which came with an optimistic response.

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 03:56:00 pm »
Yeah I've been wanting audio feedback for gatling for a long time.  +1 to this.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 05:17:25 pm »
Yes. I've suggested it before. But we need this for obvious reasons! NEEDS MORE PEW PEW.

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 12:16:54 am »
Annoying metal pinging sounds when it hits the hull, or duller, "thump" sounds when it hits the balloon?

Offline Assault Pig

• Salutes: 5
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 10:27:18 am »
To be honest I'm not really sure what a bullet striking a balloon would sound like, or if it would make a sound beyond a whizz or snap as if it were passing by you. Of course, to my knowledge none of the other weapons have different impact noises for hull strikes and balloon strikes, respectively.

As an example, I could see some combination of a selection of sounds from "Bullet Impact A" through "Bullet Ricochet Pass By B" from the link below working very well. Imagine the added atmosphere!

http://www.premiumbeat.com/search/index_sfx/bullet+impact

Offline Sprayer

• Salutes: 14
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 12:35:19 pm »
The impact sounds all sound like someone was slashing/smashing fruit o0

Offline Canon Whitecandle

• Salutes: 8
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 06:41:59 pm »
Dull thuds for wood, shredding canvas for the balloon, and metallic twangs on components and guns? I'd be for that. Another addition to this would be to make the sounds for both firing and taking fire louder and audible from farther away. I find it rather annoying to see a carrofish and watch it hit me but not be able to hear the sound of it being fired, not the impact, the actual firing sound of the shrapnel flying from the gun and ejecting the shell, the clank of the action etc. Normally I can't hear enemies firing their weapons until they're in ramming range.

Offline Sprayer

• [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 04:52:34 am »
Yes audible distance for guns being fired definetly need to be increased. It's weird how gunners can hear the impact sounds of their guns but the people being hit can't hear the gun shot.

Offline pandatopia

• Salutes: 15
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 11:15:30 am »
I think there should be a warning klaxon.

Offline SirNotlag

• Salutes: 17
    • [Bj&H]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 11:18:10 am »
Yes audible distance for guns being fired definetly need to be increased. It's weird how gunners can hear the impact sounds of their guns but the people being hit can't hear the gun shot.

I'm up for the impact noises but hearing the weapons being fired at you could become damn near deafening in a 3 vs 3 if all six ships are near each other.

Offline pandatopia

• Salutes: 15
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 11:41:49 am »

I'm up for the impact noises but hearing the weapons being fired at you could become damn near deafening in a 3 vs 3 if all six ships are near each other.

Perhaps, but it would also add to the immersion.

If you're taking fire from 2 galleon broadsides I'd like to having some deafening explosions to go with the shaking.

Esp with stuff like lumberjacks hitting the balloon too, those things are so sneaky you only get a dull "thump" sound.

Also heavy flaks should make an enormous explosive sound as they tear your ship apart.

Offline Canon Whitecandle

• Salutes: 8
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 11:12:35 pm »
And it makes sense, when you fire a pistol IRL you can hear the echoes afterwards, and they travel quite a long ways. In my old town if someone shot a rifle you could hear it from across town.

Offline Sprayer

• [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 03:23:18 am »
While the impact sound is comparatively quiet.