Author Topic: What are your internet speeds?  (Read 35098 times)

Offline shaelyn

• Salutes: 73
    • [◉‿◉]
    • View Profile
Re: What are your internet speeds?
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2014, 01:59:59 pm »
You wonder how Verizon gets away with this...then you call them out to fix a copper telephone line and it takes 6 techs and 2 weeks to do it. They sent out 5 FIOS techs who could only fiddle with the line then try to push FIOS, then finally the last guy was a copper line tech who found the problem and had new wires patched in within an hour.

honestly, that sounds like my experience with ATT when I used them.  it took them a month and several techs with misinformation flying back and forth within the company to get internet set up for me in my first apartment, and then after another three weeks of trying to get service transferred to another apartment within the same complex, I fired them and went TWC.  ...oh...and when I did fire them, instead of cancelling my service, they just cancelled the order to have my service transferred - so they still tried to keep service up at the old apartment I was no longer living in.  anyway, TWC:  they had my internet up and running when promised, and no other problems so far *knock on wood*.

the apartment complex we're moving to only has Verizon Fios.  it's already way more expensive than we're paying now, borderline what we can afford...hidden fees?  ><  crap.  got my fingers crossed...

...I've been saying I may drop off the face of the earth for a little while...I'm anticipating another ATT experience out of one of the companies I'm dealing with and hoping I'm wrong.

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2014, 02:04:32 pm »
Does the winner get a prize?  :D

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2014, 03:17:31 pm »
Silly Speedtest users. Their readings are usually inaccurate.

Offline Jawjee

• Salutes: 111
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2014, 03:22:57 pm »
Silly Speedtest users. Their readings are usually inaccurate.

Actually, speedtest is pretty accurate. I download with 1.2 megebytes per second.(Steam says it)
While testmynet says I'm downloading with just 340 kb/s.
So, therefore, LIES.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2014, 05:55:29 am »

the apartment complex we're moving to only has Verizon Fios.  it's already way more expensive than we're paying now, borderline what we can afford...hidden fees?  ><  crap.  got my fingers crossed...

Verizon is notorious for suddenly adding fees or increasing rates. If they say guaranteed price, you better believe that after the period is over, it'll go up. All sorts of things they pull. We've had their phone service for years and can count on them doing stuff like this from time to time. I got a friend who was with Verizon wireless too and he said he finally left cause they were pulling the same tricks. He got sick of seeing all sorts of bizarre things added to the bills.

Best Telco we ever had long ago was Sprint. At least in this area. That was when we were with Earthlink and they had a combo deal. Net + Sprint phone. Earthlink outsourced and became a crappy company so had to give it up. Price was always good with Sprint tho. No hidden fees or strange charges and customer service was 100% better than Verizon. But, companies change. 

Offline shaelyn

• Salutes: 73
    • [◉‿◉]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2014, 11:51:23 am »
Verizon is notorious for suddenly adding fees or increasing rates. If they say guaranteed price, you better believe that after the period is over, it'll go up.

oh, that goes for anything, any company, ever - in my experience.  TWC increased our monthly price after the first year too.  and hell, in the same vein, you should see how much my rent goes up every year - it's roughly $100/mo more.  I just try to pay attention at the end of a term.  if you're only guaranteed for a year, that's all you get.

-sigh- that's why we're trying to figure out whether to do a 2-yr contract with a possibility of early termination after our lease is up, or do their no contract plan at a much elevated rate with price only guaranteed for one year.  neither option is a good one.

...I feel as though we're hijacking this thread XD  sorry!

Offline Andika

• Salutes: 114
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2014, 12:56:59 pm »

Offline Melon McCrabernathy

• Salutes: 19
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2014, 01:49:58 pm »

lel countryside :-X

Offline Tanya Phenole

• Salutes: 92
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2014, 12:12:19 am »

And this awesomeness costs like 5$/month.

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2014, 12:15:22 am »
And is that 49 down, 76 up from DSL also? (Phone line connection)?

Offline Tanya Phenole

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2014, 12:17:32 am »
And is that 49 down, 76 up from DSL also? (Phone line connection)?

It is not DSL, it's GPon.

Like for 35$ you can get 200 mb/s. Proof: http://www.mgts.ru/home/internet/gpon/tariffs

Russian currency is like 30 per 1 dollar. I have discounts because I am student ^^

« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 12:24:35 am by Phenole »

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2014, 12:29:03 am »
._. Damn.

Offline Jawjee

• Salutes: 111
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2014, 01:02:41 pm »
I've just spilled my coffee.
http://www.rcs-rds.ro/internet-digi-net/fiberlink?t=internet-fix&pachet=digi_net_fiberlink_1000
1000 mbps for only 14-18 dollas per month, TV INCLUDED. WHEN DID ROMANIA DO DIS? :OOOO
I can't wait for my contract with the current ISP to end. Also, my current ISP(Romtelecom) will have a rebrand! Bye Romtelecom, welcome Deutsche Telekom.
Oh and a reminder, I pay 24$ for 12 mbps per month(Phone included, back in the time we needed a phone to use nets, even if we don't use the phone)

Offline Tanya Phenole

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2014, 04:24:04 am »
I've just spilled my coffee.
http://www.rcs-rds.ro/internet-digi-net/fiberlink?t=internet-fix&pachet=digi_net_fiberlink_1000
1000 mbps for only 14-18 dollas per month, TV INCLUDED. WHEN DID ROMANIA DO DIS? :OOOO
I can't wait for my contract with the current ISP to end. Also, my current ISP(Romtelecom) will have a rebrand! Bye Romtelecom, welcome Deutsche Telekom.
Oh and a reminder, I pay 24$ for 12 mbps per month(Phone included, back in the time we needed a phone to use nets, even if we don't use the phone)

Yeah, optics are pretty awesome. GPON can make up to 1gb/s.

The question is - I can barely imagine why would you need more than 350mbps at home , unless you want to host a little game server... no, stil much XD 

Offline Cheesy Crackers

• Salutes: 82
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2014, 05:18:59 am »

And over here we don't even get the speed we pay for xD