Author Topic: TimmyB Tournament Week 3 information  (Read 12067 times)

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
TimmyB Tournament Week 3 information
« on: August 30, 2014, 09:09:35 pm »
Because of the complex nature of week 3's squid race, I will be making this detailed post. If you have any question about the information or feel some is lacking please say so.

The squid race will take part on canyon ambush. It will technically be a 3v3, but that is where the teams begin and end. Each ship will be working for its self this week. The circuit will be displayed below, and will be three laps. Points will be allocated to ships based on how they finish.

Points: winner: 10, losers: 5(second place), 3(third place), 1(fourth-sixth place)

No one is allowed to kill opposing ships, but they may be disabled or hurt. The only guns allowed are flares, harpoons, and mine launchers. Tar is allowed. Ramming is allowed. Use your best discretion when to lay off the pressure when it comes to not killing. If necessary a ref will tell a captain to back off.

If a ship does die they must return to the starting line and can leave just before the ship that killed them arrives.

Captains must follow the course to win their points. Cheating will lead to no points.

The Map:

The Course:
Any white lined areas are out of bounds. Any area in between the teal lines is in bounds  and legal. The arrows point in the direction that you should travel. Red is the start line. I expect commendations for a paint masterpiece here. 

Video run of the course:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40wM44gNQ8o

« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 09:13:39 pm by Byron Cavendish »

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
Re: TimmyB Tournament Week 3 information
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 12:43:10 pm »
Number of laps?

Is winner decided by being the first to cross, or will you be timing the ship laps? If a death occurs, it's more or less guaranteed for them to come in last if done by first to finish.

What happens if a ship does kill another? Is the ship that did the killing penalized in any way?

And is it just me, or is the course seemingly very short?

Edit:
This also conflicts with some information on the main page. You should update that page to avoid confusion.

Week 3
-Points: winner: 10, loser: 5(second place), 3(third place), 1(fourth-sixth place)
-squid races (Canyon ambush, Raid on the refinery)
-no guns allowed other than: harpoons, flares
-ramming allowed
-win by following and hitting the necessary checkpoints (further details to come)
-ram kills gives a bonus points
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 05:13:47 pm by Thomas »

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 01:12:19 pm »
If a ship does die they must return to the starting line and can leave just before the ship that killed them arrives.

wat?

Offline Skrimskraw

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 12:47:37 pm »
also why are there 2 routes on the map, when the video only shows1?

Offline Velvet

• Salutes: 45
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 01:11:18 pm »
also why are there 2 routes on the map, when the video only shows1?
I think those are 2 borders of the same route.

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 10:46:40 pm »
@Thomas

As I was going over this week's details I had to make some changes to reflect the difficulties in reffing and tracking a squid race based on my observations of the previous weeks. For all purposes, this post supersedes the original posts details for week 3 only.

On the issue of killing: easiest solution is just don't do it. If you see a hull break back odd. I am really looking forward to aggressive shenanigans so just use your best judgement. Killing just complicates getting that person back into the race while reffing the rest too much.

The course is short-ish, but we have run some long weeks, so we are trying to dial it back for this week!

@Skrim the teal lines are meant to display the boundary of the lane. Anything in between the teal is legal course. The arrows just are there to display direction to travel.

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 11:30:38 pm »
Yeah, I ran some Squid Races and death is just a pain to deal with so I penalized it. And the more ships on the track, the harder it is to keep track of everyone.

Last few times I've done it, I haven't seen too much violence, although I think this is mostly because everyone is busy on repairs due to the burning and kerosene/moonshine and what have you. There's a few spots where it's likely to happen, such as when a team tries to go over the pipe, gets stuck, and ram killed by the team behind them.

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 12:12:55 am »
Pssshhhh. If you get stuck on the pipe that's your own fault :P. (I'm just saying this cause I won.)

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 12:33:43 am »
On the issue of killing: easiest solution is just don't do it. If you see a hull break back odd. I am really looking forward to aggressive shenanigans so just use your best judgement. Killing just complicates getting that person back into the race while reffing the rest too much.
You say that as though you're not allowing mines, you know, the great randomizers.

Offline Skrimskraw

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 07:54:51 am »
thanks!

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 02:46:47 pm »
Where is this being streamed?

EDIT: Never mind, figured it out.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 03:01:25 pm by N-Sunderland »

Offline Milevan Faent

• Salutes: 15
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 07:51:09 pm »
I have to say, the Squid Race idea is awesome. Though, tbh, I prefer the way Thomas did it to this, though this isn't bad either. The checkpoint system Thomas used seems like it would work better in general though for racing, and it would probably be easier to make sure people are staying on the course.