Author Topic: SCS Discussion  (Read 6060 times)

Offline Velvet

• Salutes: 45
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
SCS Discussion
« on: August 28, 2014, 01:00:46 pm »
This thread is for discussion of the Sunday Community Skirmish to keep any dialogue in one place and to minimise clutter in the signup threads.

A first item of discussion:
How do people feel about potentially adding Labyrinth to the event's map pool?

Offline Mezhu

• Salutes: 33
    • [Sgar]
    • View Profile
Re: SCS Discussion
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 01:26:12 pm »
My personal opinion is that although SCS has to maintain a slightly more traditional and formulated role, spicing things up with some experimentation couldn't possibly hurt.

Truth is the game can become pretty stale after a while, due to the limited content, and us being especially limited to only the (admitably few) 2v2 DM maps can make things even worse. I think we should definitely try adding Labyrinth to the map pool. Sure, it revolves around a vastly different strategy but even DM maps promote specific ships and strategies albeit to a lesser degree.

If people dislike the idea, we can always just remove it and never discuss it again. If people do like it, however, we could even experiment with throwing Scrap into the map pool, with the extra 2 ships being neutrally piloted to the never-visited corners of the map, far away from the action. Hazard and Firnfeld's size (and them being DM) make them too far-fetched to propose, but man can only hope that muse eventually makes a 2v2 variation for those.

Until then, though, I think we should make use of whatever we have available to keep the event challenging and interesting both to play and watch.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 01:28:19 pm by Mezhu »

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 01:33:54 pm »
Labyrinth while it would add difference and would surely be fun isnt worth adding imo ...
It would be the only CP map which could screw a whole series (bo3) for one team just because they have to use a completely different tactic. This favors imo the winning team a bid. (arguable)
If there were two cp maps i might consider it.
Another thing is the time ... CP work so different that there is no way to hold them intime. Infact one CP can take ages. You see it even in pubmatches. CPs can go for ages if both teams are on a similiar lvl and we are talking about a competetive event so surely you will have teams on a similiar lvl facing each other on this map.
Currently I honestly dont see the reason to make all that effort from tournament and player side to add one map to the mappool.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 01:38:00 pm »
I would like it, but it would take so much longer unless you apply your weird time rules to cp. (Which means this map is going to take 100% of your reserve time.)

Some teams might not like it, since it basically forces teams to just rush in and brawl themselves to death, again and again. On other maps you can plan flanks or just go for long range, if that's your style. The best flank you can pull of in Labyrinth is to come from 2 different sides (while you don't even know where the enemies actual position really is) to kill the enemy in focus fire easily, just to have the same done to you 30sec later.
You also need to kill ships quick in order to un-/capture the point, this might decourage disablers and encourage metamidions.

How would you even handle a pause for such a map? Cosntant engagements and if there is no engagement then one team would possibly gain points during the pause, because it happened to have captured the point.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 05:00:13 pm »
No, i wouldnt like it.

Im not giving a word on that map.

I think the REAL question is about the king of the hill game MODE that changes things up alot.
That is something i am not against, but that is why i want cp to also be a solid game mode, but it really isnt.
Currently, the only 2v2 cp is labyrinth, if there would be 3 more 2v2 koth maps i would have it, also that if koth is tweaked.

Offline Replaceable

• Salutes: 84
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 07:42:51 pm »
Maybe CP and DM shouldn't mix for the moment. Keep SCS as it is. Simply because of the time issue. In DM's we can predict they will be all finished in under 30mins (realistically) whereas CPs can take aaages. Having both CP and DM in the same event would be problematic to organise to say the least- considering multiple teams will fly etc. I can imagine casters already being like 'Well we're sposed to have team XYZ here but they're still in a CP' (It would screw up the times teams matches were supposed to be)

I do think though that it would spice things up a fair bit though to see different game modes at a competitive level.
(Test crews on new builds and strategies, etc.)

But yeah- not in SCS i don't think.

CP would have maybe worked in the format (or similar format) of HC better than SCS. As only 1 game per team. But there is still the issue with times etc. You can't tell a team "yeah um well their match is at 9:00pm - yours is when they are done." (Because Casters [and referees to a certain extent])

You could enforce timers- but that might be deemed unfair in a CP.

Maybe CP just doesnt have a place in competitive. yet???