Author Topic: New Map Concept  (Read 10569 times)

Offline Nietzsche's Mustache

• Salutes: 27
    • [IISC]
    • View Profile
New Map Concept
« on: August 27, 2014, 05:07:51 pm »
I had mention during last weeks dev fireside chat that I had some ideas for a new map. I'm posting this to the forum to see if the user base might be constructive, but I've also sent an email to the feedback address just to get it a little bit more attention from the devs themselves.

At any rate, the main concept is it's a large map with an open sniping alley along the side (where pretty much all the maps currently in use have open areas in the middle or, in the case of canyons, at the far ends). To contrast with that open sniping area would be either an extended area of canyons or city scape (in the concept scetch I use city scape, but understanding how much detail has to go into a city design, it could very well be canyons). I'm thinking the exit out of those contrasting areas should be somewhere in the middle, making it more viable to escape by pushing forwards rather than simple moving sideways. Of course, it should also be possible to escape into the city/canyons by climbing over the cliff face that separates the two areas, but will not necessarily be the most strategic escape in most scenarios.

I'm also thinking the city/canyon area should be shaped like an elongated bowl, allowing for varying floor height and also making the cliffs separating the open-sniping area and the more close-quarters area a little bit more fluid.

A couple more general notes: I'm thinking generally of northern California's coastline or New Zealand as well for general inspiration. I was taking a look at the Guns of Icarus World map that's on the GoI wiki and I was thinking this could exist in the GoI world somewhere along the western edges of the Chaladonian Isle. Alternatively, it could be flipped 90 or 180 degrees and be on the northern ridges of Abermar or the eastern edge of the Eastern Ridges. There's a lot that's up in the air here, but I do really feel like skirmish mode needs a map where long and short ranges are divided into the east and west side of the map.

FWIW, I recognize my hand writing is sub-par. :P Questions/Concerns/Rude Comments?

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
Re: New Map Concept
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 07:50:01 pm »
So are we talking some sort of trench/canyon system with the level ceiling being some sort of sniper's paradise and the level floor being a clutter of map artifacts to let the brawlers and blenders sneak up?

• [IISC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 01:20:51 pm »
Not quite. Perhaps the drawings aren't clear on that, but the idea is more that your long - range area is running parallel to the short range area. In the canyon area (or city, whatever it winds up being), the hard cover should extend roughly to the ceiling, But the floor underneath would vary.

I'm thinking about that cliff face separating the open area and the canyons/buildings, and I'm not convinced a hard separator is really going to make game play more smooth. I had initially envisioned a city sitting in a bowl - shaped inlet facing the sea, where the coastline would serve as an open sniping area. I still think a certain degree of cliff - face on the north and south sides of the map will be appropriate. That way if snipers simply back - pedal into the north or south trade winds, they then won't have the option of turning sideways and taking hard cover.

Does that make sense?

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 04:07:30 pm »
The context of a coast line with the sniper zone being over the sea makes more sense now. What I like about the Current GOI levels is that they feel like natural places that serve a purpose beyond arenas for airship battles. I worry that the hard wall divider between the two zones would make the level too artificial. Perhaps instead a row of tall buildings like those you see in big coastal cities.

• [IISC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 06:12:14 pm »
What I like about the Current GOI levels is that they feel like natural places that serve a purpose beyond arenas for airship battles.

Couldn't second this enough.

Admittedly, at first I was really just aching to play GOI in a coastal setting, but I wasn't entirely sure how that would be any different from, say, water hazard. Then it dawned on my that no maps really have their open-areas running up just one side. Thus, the notion of a coastal city came into view, with limited entry-way into and out of the coast. Obviously, spawn points aren't going to be along the coast because you'll be able to shoot from one end to the other. Instead everyone would spawn in the city and use that open area to make their way to enemy spawn (if desired), escape a close-range engagement, or camp out and wait for others to try to do the same.

Another thing I'm thinking about is whether or not the coastline should be convex in shape. That way, even though you can shoot from one end of the map to the other, you could potentially hug the coast/city buildings for cover at greater ranges.

Offline Replaceable

• Salutes: 84
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 07:50:21 pm »
I was gonna make a point about if the spawn was in the city then teams might neglect the open area.
But, teams will make the maps work for how they want to fly imho. Some might choose to rush to the coast- others might want to lurk in the city for a brawl.
So yeah that's cool and would be very interesting.

I think the spawns should be like duel's in which they are all over the map for both teams.

This would be a super fun map I think :D

(Could even make it a CP to force them to use the coast- putting the point on the coast)

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 08:00:26 pm »
So, take out a stepped bit of Red Sepulcher, plop Puritan on the upper part, and Water Hazard on the lower. Remove clouds over the water, add them to the coast as a barrier between the ocean and city.

And add in a cliffside fortress.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 08:29:40 pm by Richard LeMoon »

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 04:43:47 pm »
I think the spawns should be like duel's in which they are all over the map for both teams.

Definitely this!  Especially with different options for how to conduct the combat, having unpredictable spawn points would add to the interesting-ness.  I wish more maps were like that.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 10:04:39 am »
At least smaller maps for DM's, Duel is such a good map because the battles there are really quick, there is not much room to run around or hide, you just see each other and BAM!

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 12:33:18 am »
throw in some caverns and tunnels for more underground fighting also (maybe partially flooded caverns) connected to the cliffs outside for the brawlers to sneak up in, and fly around/fight in, with multiple paths and exits. maybe located in serenity bay in the three bays region, with the storm islands in the backdrop, and then maybe some of the islands could be part of the map.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 12:36:37 am by macmacnick »

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 12:27:20 pm »

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2014, 10:06:47 pm »
Exactly.

• [IISC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 11:03:44 pm »
Exactly indeed. I like the idea of archways a la fjords extending in front of the city, making entry and exit a little bit more complicated. Plus, I like the idea of a variable ceiling, in addition to a variable floor.

• [IISC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2014, 03:11:58 pm »
I've been playing around with trying to learn 3D modeling using Blender. Not sure if it's of any use, but just to for fun and learning I decided to try sculpting this out. The progress so far looks like this.

Offline Replaceable

• Salutes: 84
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2014, 05:48:15 pm »
oh damn that looks awesome!