Author Topic: Hydro/Chute exponentially increasing force and damage  (Read 5201 times)

Offline Mezhu

• Salutes: 33
    • [Sgar]
    • View Profile
Hydro/Chute exponentially increasing force and damage
« on: September 05, 2014, 07:44:28 am »
How about instead of major damage + force over a minimum duration of 3 seconds, they instead applied force and caused damage exponentially with time? (low damage, small vertical force when first tapped, with both increasing faster as time used increases)

That way they would gain the saught-after by many utility of working as minor vertical mobility enhancers if a pilot just taps them on/off or switches between the two, causing damage that's easy to maintain- but could still function as panic buttons if held down for longer, resulting in about as much damage and lift force in 3 seconds as current versions.

Obvious side-effect is they couldn't be simultaneously used with other pilot tools.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: Hydro/Chute exponentially increasing force and damage
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 07:57:19 am »
Sounds good, but the sudden drop or lift needs to be a risk of somekind.
It would be cool to add a new tool to conflict both hydro and chute.

A tool alot like the pheonix claw, just for vertical meneuverability.

Problem is, what does this tool do to make both going up and down faster consistent?

Still though, the tools need to be a bit punishing of use because it can be such a game changer. However, if it were to change like this, we would see alot more vertical meneuvers i feel if i think about it. Its just a question of if it is needed or not. Currently, the effects are satisfactory, maybe a bit of a buff is required for chute vent. Maybe simply let chute vent work like how you mentioned but keep hydro the same. I donnu, its a very narrow line of thinking that changes up alot if done.

Dont know if i make sense.

But i do believe the 3 second commitment is there for a reason.

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 10:02:50 am »
It seems like these vertical tools require a buffed balloon in order for them to be truly effective.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 12:30:38 pm »
I think the Greased Balloon idea would perhaps be a good middle tool for improving vertical movement in both directions to a lesser extent than the current balloon tools without the catastrophic damage.

Offline Sprayer

• Salutes: 14
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 10:15:17 am »
-2000% vertical drag. Your ship now goes down when you tell it to rise.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 06:03:51 pm »
Just take away the diminishing returns and Hydro/Chute will be fine. Biggest problem with them right now is they are one time use tools that cannot be used when balloons are close to or below half HP. Heck even slight damage negates their ability on larger vessels. There is similar problems with engines. Especially light engines. One reason why the Squid sucks so much atm, Muse crippled it's engines. Some diminishing isn't bad but Muse went a little too far with it.