Author Topic: Takeover Prompts  (Read 6730 times)

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Takeover Prompts
« on: August 24, 2014, 02:35:30 pm »
So someone on the steam forums was encountering the infamous encounter with unresponsive players, specifically engineers thinking they're gunners holding guns that the gunner of his ship needed access, I won't include details about the following debate however steam user Darth Cannabis proposed the following idea.
Quote from: Darth Cannabis
I actually have an idea about this. Since it is clear that allowing gunners to kick isn't a solution, what about a prompt set up.
Basically if you walk up to an occupied gun and hit E, the player on said gun gets a prompt that someone want to take gun over, and hit E to swap spots.
While its easy enough to tell the engineer this if you have a mic, it is rather slow to do so if the gunner needs to type or use v text options. A prompt set up would be the compromise. It would notify the engy on gun quickly, while not forcing a kick off, and speed the process of gunner and engy switching spots. (rather than engy off gun and then gunner having to hit e to get on it, the switch would be instant when engy hits e)

What do you guys think? Would this work or not, do you have any ideas to improve this or do you have an alternative?

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Re: Takeover Prompts
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 02:44:59 pm »
I like it. Just don't pop it up in the middle of the screen where it could be troll-y, or in the log where it will be unnoticed.

Offline shaelyn

• Salutes: 73
    • [◉‿◉]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 05:13:49 pm »
I like it. Just don't pop it up in the middle of the screen where it could be troll-y, or in the log where it will be unnoticed.

if it could pop up in a similar implementation to the current voice commands, that may be the happy medium.

yeah, +1, this is a really good idea.

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 05:32:47 pm »
I like this idea.  It's pretty frustrating to be, say, gunner on a goldfish standing helplessly behind your occupied gun getting increasingly annoyed as they ignore you while the ship is going down in flames... "Hey, I need to use that gun... Uhhh.... can you get off the gun?  Dude.  GET OFF MY GUN.  THE HULL IS ON FIRE.  I HAVE A PIPE WRENCH.  GET OFF THE GUN!!!!!!"

(nearly direct quote from a match I played the other day in which this exact scenario happened... minus the profanity that probably came out of my mouth :P)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 05:34:52 pm by sparklerfish »

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 05:35:50 pm »
+1, good idea

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 182
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • The Cake Official Website!
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 06:54:39 pm »
Just implement the same cooldown that our other quickchat commands have, and this gets my vote.

Offline Replaceable

• Salutes: 84
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 06:58:47 pm »
Yes. So much +1

Offline pandatopia

• Salutes: 15
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 08:01:15 am »
Engineers then need something to fight against all the gunners repairing with spanners.