Author Topic: Question about the front gun.  (Read 7902 times)

Offline Digitalsyn

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
Question about the front gun.
« on: July 27, 2014, 08:48:39 am »
Hi all. I was playing on a Goldfish with 3 engineers and when I went to use the Carronade, the whole crew started telling me to leave it alone. It confused me since we had no Gunner and somebody already loaded Heavy Clip in. Is there any particular reason why one engineer in particular should be using the carronade over the other? I had Charged Ammo.

Nobody was communicating in the match beforehand so it isn't like we all established our stations. Is there a real reason or was the crew being unnecessarily petty over who gets to use the gun?

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: Question about the front gun.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 08:57:14 am »
Usually you have everyone assigned to a certain position. Even with 3 Engineers there will be one handling the frontgun, one handling the balloon +x and one on the hull.
I cant tell for sure what was the reason. Maybe you played with a premade team that organized itself through ts or sth similiar.

Usually if noone is shooting and youre ship isnt near death and youre deciding to use the frontgun when a enemy is in arc than its no big deal.
Hard to judge without indepth info about the situation.

Offline Digitalsyn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 09:03:52 am »
We were approaching a Mobula from behind during Paritan Rumble and no components were damaged at all. The other two engineers were running all over the ship so I don't know if they had assigned themselves certain zones. But I had 1 Balloon pop left to get the Newton's Law achievement so I decided to take the Carronade while it was free. That was when they told me to get off it.

Offline Tanya Phenole

• Salutes: 92
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 09:24:22 am »
My dear, you don't understand. One of those other engineers was doing the gunner role, and took the proper ammo for it.

It is usually done because that gunning engineer can buff the gun all the time.  You should learn the roles and loadouts for them, captains usually tell you loadout and role - be more attentive to chat and voice chat in the lobby.

That engineer probably left front carronade because was doing some repairs you have missed. also, carronade is very-close-range-gun, so approaching ship is not a reason to start shooting.

Once you spoil your role,  you spoil the role of other person too. That is very important to understand

« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 09:26:19 am by Tanya Phenole »

Offline Digitalsyn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 10:08:01 am »
I did say we were fully repaired, not being shot at and able to shoot a Mobula from behind. When the 'Gunner' engineer left, I jumped on. Also the 'correct ammo' he was using was Heavy Clip. I had charged.

And when I say he left the gun, I do mean they just wandered around the ship. Not chemspraying or buffing. and there was nothing to spot.

Offline pandatopia

• Salutes: 15
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 10:21:41 am »
Shrug. Honestly it doesn't matter too much in the long run, I have had captains yell at me about being on the wrong gun too, and usually it matters less than people think.

All in all though even if it is unwarranted, it doesn't help to argue with the captain or the crew. Just do as they ask and the entire thing will go more smoothly.

Esp if you're losing, don't give them ammo (hah!) to use against you, people will irrationally place blame a lot in these team games.

Find people that are more friendly!

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 11:01:22 am »
If you have a shot, take it. Especially if your team is not talking or planning. And charged are the 'right' rounds for shooting at a Mobula from behind at anything less than 3/4 max range. You will hit the hull, engines, and balloon and send the engies into a panic.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 05:13:02 pm »
Is there any particular reason why one engineer in particular should be using the carronade over the other?

The captain said so.

If they have the ability to yell at you in game they probably did send out some communication as to who will take which roll. It might have happened in a previous game before you joined or via Skype.  As for the yelling they could have been worried you would load the wrong ammo, shoot and give away their positions, or be one of those horrible players who never leaves because they are afraid some one else will use it.

It is better you find out where your position is before the battle is joined than when your crew mates are depending on you to do something you are not doing.

Offline shaelyn

• Salutes: 73
    • [◉‿◉]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 03:58:23 pm »
did you guys also have a buff engineer?  heavy rounds in a buffed carronade can one-shot a balloon or are used for sniping guns.  that was probably the captain's thinking - to sneak up on them and take them out with the heavy rounds, and keep the engineer that has the heavy rounds on the gun so they can keep shooting.
and it's already been said, the carronade doesn't have much range, so approaching probably isn't the best time to hit it.

I'd also say the carronade doesn't have a long reload time, and losing the last of the clip in the gun isn't a big deal.  but giving away your ship's position if the pilot was trying to sneak up on an enemy could've been the greater reason for it (if you were approaching from behind the mobula, that's probably exactly what's going on.)

really though, if the captain were communicating with his crew more effectively, that whole situation could have been prevented.  my best matches 9 times out of 10 are ones where the captains are talking to the crew constantly or divied up roles from the start.

Offline Cheesy Crackers

• Salutes: 82
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 02:42:27 am »
Did you swap the already loaded ammo with your ammo? That sometimes annoys people.