Author Topic: New gun: Siren Mine Launcher  (Read 8006 times)

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
New gun: Siren Mine Launcher
« on: August 13, 2014, 07:56:09 pm »
This is a support gun like the flare gun, despite the 'mine' name. Used for enemy ship location using sound rather than light.

This gun fires small floating mines 1/5th the size of a Phobos. The proximity range is much larger than a standard mine. Rather than exploding when an enemy draws near, it triggers and starts emitting a piercing, shrieking alarm. This lasts for a few seconds before the mine bursts in red fireworks. Any ship close to the Siren mine when it explodes is inflicted with a small amount of fire damage and has a chance of fires being set by the burst. Also causes a small amount of fire damage and has a chance to set 1 fires on the component hit directly. Though the mine

I think three to four shots would be a good 'active mine' count for this gun.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
Re: New gun: Siren Mine Launcher
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 08:15:38 pm »
Sounds a bit too "modern" for a steampunk-ish game. How would it work exactly?
Although if it would go off on impact it would be kind of good idea. I see three uses of this:
1. Detecting objects like buildings etc. in heavy fog when we can't see it
2. In the same way detecting enemy ships (the "I know it's somewhere there but I can't mark it" syndrome)
3. Distracting and decoying enemies.

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 08:20:42 pm »
This is a support gun like the flare gun, despite the 'mine' name. Used for enemy ship location using sound rather than light.

This gun fires small floating mines 1/5th the size of a Phobos. The proximity range is much larger than a standard mine. Rather than exploding when an enemy draws near, it triggers and starts emitting a piercing, shrieking alarm. This lasts for a few seconds before the mine bursts in red fireworks. Any ship close to the Siren mine when it explodes is inflicted with a small amount of fire damage and has a chance of fires being set by the burst. Also causes a small amount of fire damage and has a chance to set 1 fires on the component hit directly. Though the mine

I think three to four shots would be a good 'active mine' count for this gun.

Unless you have surround sound, how would you use the sound to pinpoint their location?

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 08:22:19 pm »
Magnets. Make the mines magnetic and have them attach to ships for a limited time. When they do this, the siren triggers and follows the vessel as it moves. Make it a limited time tho. Otherwise it would be a bit annoying and OP.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 09:42:58 pm »
Unless you have surround sound, how would you use the sound to pinpoint their location?

Well, you would know where you dropped the mines. Otherwise, spin in circles to figure out where it is coming from. A lot like finding an enemy team of power monkeys randomly shooting at each other in the clouds.

As for how it works? We have infinitely loading guns on warships hanging from party balloons. Reality does not concern me.

Offline Cheesy Crackers

• Salutes: 82
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 05:48:08 am »

Well, you would know where you dropped the mines. Otherwise, spin in circles to figure out where it is coming from. A lot like finding an enemy team of power monkeys randomly shooting at each other in the clouds.

As for how it works? We have infinitely loading guns on warships hanging from party balloons. Reality does not concern me.
On the compass it could have a sort of pulsing circle in the general direction of the mine.

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 06:30:29 am »
I do believe GoI uses some sort of virtual surround sound. At least I "feel like" hearing where shots are coming from when using my stereo headphones.

As for the gun idea: I really do like the concept. Perhaps emitting a flare when the proximity sensor is triggered might be an interesting variation.

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 08:09:32 am »
Anyone that's played counter strike can tell you, you can easily locate sound with stereo headphones.

Offline CheeseAlmighty

• Salutes: 5
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 12:49:04 pm »
Anyone that's played counter strike can tell you, you can easily locate sound with stereo headphones.

Not just that, headphones are better for locating enemies than the surround systems. More reliable at least, in terms of calibration.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 01:07:25 pm »

Not just that, headphones are better for locating enemies than the surround systems. More reliable at least, in terms of calibration.

Yeah, the directional sound has always been very useful to me in this game. I like to rely only on sight and sound. I occasionally look at the map but i have never really payed attention to the compass.

Offline OnlyMan.

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 13
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 08:42:00 pm »
You have my vote! I think this would be a great way to create more engagements, especially in Canyons, where you can fly around for 15-20 minute looking for eachother.